1B with inflation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1B with inflation?

Our 12 team NL only has a lot of money and talent in the auction. I suspect some new records will be set. This is my guess as to the prices of the 1B studs. Who would you grab (if any)?

Pujols -$60
    Fielder- $50
    Howard $45

Lee-$30
    Pena-$25

I think Pujols is the best (relative) value.

Comment

I looked at some quick figures. Pujols, in a 12-team NL should go for about $39. For inflation to push Pujols to $60, it would have to be a touch over 65%. But even that rate would not get Fielder and Howard up to those prices. Either that or you league is like mine, where Pujols will go for an insane amount regardless of the actual rate of inflation. (This assumes everyone is not playing Stars & Scrubs, which skews prices.)

If those players actually go off for those prices, you'll have an excellent chance to pick up some bargains later in the auction. Of course, if it is only a few players that your league overvalues (which is really more league tendency than true inflation), the chances of good bargains later would be lessened.

Comment

you forgot Votto

We had Pujols kept at 53
        Fielder out earliest 46
        Votto 50
        Howard 46

Cargo 46 - Braun 44 - Kemo 42 - Zimm 41 (kept) - Hanley 38

Comment

Our league had a very similar situation and the top first basemen went for the following prices:

Pujols - $55
          Fielder - $49
          Howard - $41
          Pena - $28
          Lee - $25
          Overbay - $20 (late in the draft)

and anyone else significant was kept at discounted values. Should be noted that ours is an OBP league so Fielder and Pena have a little extra value compared to BA leagues.

Comment

From the 1st post, I agree I'd rather have Pujols if those are the prices.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Our league has slightly different money ($300 budget), but we added a 17th team this year and there were plenty of keepers and things went completely bonkers. When the dust settled it was:
              Pujols $68 (previous record was Pujols at $59 last year)
              Adrian Gonzalez $58
              Teixeira $52
              A-Rod $52
              Crawford $55 (Kept!)
              Wright $51 (Kept!)
              Miggy $53 (Kept!)
              Nelson Cruz $50

Inflation can get insane. For the record, I own none of these guys, lol. Of course, I got my values and then got screwed at first base with Melvin Mora being the best $1 guy available at the end. Ouch.

Comment

JWRL prices went kind of bonkers this year too:
                Ryan Zimmerman 61
                David Wright 60
                Troy Tulowitzki 59
                Prince Fielder 56
                Miguel Cabrera 56 (kept)
                Matt Kemp 56 (kept)
                Kevin Youkilis 54
                Mark Teixeira 53
                Roy Halladay 51
                8 players in the 40s and another 23 in the 30s.

pujols was kept at 45, howard was purchased for 46, pena for 23, lee for 13.
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  I looked at some quick figures. Pujols, in a 12-team NL should go for about $39. For inflation to push Pujols to $60, it would have to be a touch over 65%. But even that rate would not get Fielder and Howard up to those prices. Either that or you league is like mine, where Pujols will go for an insane amount regardless of the actual rate of inflation. (This assumes everyone is not playing Stars & Scrubs, which skews prices.)

If those players actually go off for those prices, you'll have an excellent chance to pick up some bargains later in the auction. Of course, if it is only a few players that your league overvalues (which is really more league tendency than true inflation), the chances of good bargains later would be lessened.
                  I think it is going to be a little of all you have mentioned. I entered the keepers in Rotolab. We are running 26.9% inflation on hitters. We play ultra so the Votto, Kemps of the world are cheap until their contracts finally run out. This is the first time Fielder will be in the auction. Pujols first time in three years. I expect about 12 players to go 40 or more. Some of it depends on who is brought up when.

I have $140 bucks and need 8 position and 3 pitchers. That is 5th best money 141, 143, 152, and 204 (he needs 9 and 6). I was targeting Pujols or Hanley Ramirez. Now I am wondering what would happen if I grabbed Howard or Fielder and spent the extra 10 or 15 on another position. Maybe two 40's are better than a 60 and a 20?

Comment

Thanks for the context.

I think I agree with the other posters, that if there is only $10 or so difference, I would get Pujols.

Comment

Working...
                    X