Should I change strategy midseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change strategy midseason?

In my 13 team mixed redraft I currently have a 18.5 point lead but its the weakest 18.5 point lead you'll ever see. I’ve bounced between 15 and 19 point lead the past couple weeks. I expect that my lead will be single digits a month from now. Reasons why?

1. Dee Gordon has stopped running like crazy and he is my only real source of SB. Polanco has one SB in two weeks, I traded for Pence to very modestly help in SB but he isn’t running – had 5 in April, 2 in May, 0 so far in June. I expected more SB out of Gomez and Choo. Currently 3rd here but I'm slipping. 4th-11th in SB is separated by only 8 SB.

2. My pitching is being exposed. I drafted poorly (Buchholz, Straily, Porcello), I made questionable cuts because we arent allowed to stash players when activated or called up (Gausman), and just stupid moves in general (cut Smyly, Qualls, Belisario). Now I’ve lost Wacha for an extended amount of time. My staff is currently: Grienke, Ryu, Keuchel, Kazmir, Hutchison, Stroman, and just picked up Shoemaker last week. Wacha on DL for a while.

In spite of my weak staff, I'm first in ERA and WHIP, probably due to my RP: Doolittle, Jansen, Papelbon, Krod (traded away), WDavis, and NRamirez.

I'm 10th in K's and haven't been able to move up past 8th, I just dont roster enough SP. Other teams have 9-11 SP. I don’t think I will go any lower than 10th here.

I'm 4th in Wins and may be able to hold here, not sure, I’m 11 ahead of 5th. Scary thing is 6th-12th are separated by only 6 wins, I don’t want to slide down into that group. First in saves but will lose 3 points here in a few weeks unless I find a 4th closer.

So here is the question: If I could trade away a valuable SP or maybe 2 for some hitting upgrades, and drop questionable SP like Hutchison and Stroman, and pick up RP with closing potential or high K rates, I could lock in my leads in ERA, WHIP and possibly Saves. By keeping some SP I could limit the loss of points in W and K, but I will lose some there.

I might only lose 1, max 2 points in K’s but Wins could be a problem.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

A little standings info... Over the last five years the 1st and 2nd place teams had these points at the end of the season:

2013: 89.5, 86.5 <- strangest season in this league ever. All other seasons, going back 12 years, have had a triple digit winner.
    2012: 107, 90.5
    2011: 112, 87
    2010: 106, 97
    2009: 102, 97

this year I have 115, 2nd is at 96.5, 3rd 89. The 3rd place team was challenging me for 1st just a month ago and has a really good roster. No idea how he's in 3rd.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Yes I would. Greinke/Ryu/Keuchel/Kazmir, combined with an RP core of Jansen/Doolittle/Davis, is really good. Even if you fall a little in wins and Ks I think you can hold the ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yes I would. Greinke/Ryu/Keuchel/Kazmir, combined with an RP core of Jansen/Doolittle/Davis, is really good. Even if you fall a little in wins and Ks I think you can hold the ratios.
        If I keep all those guys then I have no one to trade for a hitting upgrade. But on the other hand if all I did was trim off guys like Stroman and Hutchison and replace with RP, I wouldnt lose as much in wins and K's.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          If I keep all those guys then I have no one to trade for a hitting upgrade. But on the other hand if all I did was trim off guys like Stroman and Hutchison and replace with RP, I wouldnt lose as much in wins and K's.
          You don't think you could get something for Stroman, or Paps? Or maybe even Jansen, though I do love his Ks?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            You don't think you could get something for Stroman, or Paps? Or maybe even Jansen, though I do love his Ks?
            In this league Stroman is the type of SP that gets picked up and dropped repeatedly. At least right now. He could improve and then he'd have minor trade value. I cant deal off a closer because as it stands now I'm already going to lose 3 points in saves unless I can find another closer.

Comment

After Stroman was impressive last night I tapped the brakes on this plan. But I still went with Benoit rather than speculate on a SP to replace Wacha.

Comment

Working...
              X