Crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy!

It was an absolutely crazy game in Cincy last night. My brother and his girlfriend were in from San Diego, so we wound up with six people at the GASP.

I was at the game. Plenty of Jays fans there, too, immediately recognizable in their blue against a sea of red. Loud, enthusiastic, yet polite.

As someone who lives in Cincy but is an apostate/heretic/blasphemer who doesn’t like the Reds, I was torn because I have Latos in one of my fantasy leagues. Eight-run lead (four of the eight because Rasmus barely moved for a ball he should have caught for the third out in the eight-run second, with Melky trying to make the play and failing). EE got them some runs with his first bomb, Latos ran out of gas, Price burns TWO relievers with the pitcher’s spot due to lead off in the bottom of the 6th; he easily could have double-switched and didn’t. Price brings in the new (but 30-year-old) reliever in the 7th, who throws very hard but very straight and gives up two opposite-field HRs in his inning, one to ex-Red Juan Francisco. 9-8 then.

Broxton, who has been lights-out all year, gives up a tying double to ex-Red Navarro (IIRC). Reds fans and players clearly demoralized, my fantasy win gone (I’m near the bottom of the standings in that league anyways). I was sure the Reds would score and Broxton would get the win, because I'm having the kind of year where that happens a lot, including the other night in Pittsburgh where Cueto's lead was given up by Ondrusek.

Chapman comes in with all the fanfare, fastball all over the place and slider in the dirt every time. Jays keep working the count, finally break through (Kratz). LeCure comes in, and as soon as EE connected the only question was how far up the far-away second deck it would land. The crazy thing is that I wound up with the win because I have McGowan in a league where I am kind of contending!

Gibbons used his bench to perfection, including a pinch-hit two-run HR from Francisco, an RBI single from the ailing Lind, and two starting pitchers as pinch-runners. But remember, AL managers can't manage in NL parks, it's Known Wisdom, not to be questioned. He also got 7 1/3 innings of 1-run pitching from his bullpen--Redmond, Jenkins, McGowan, and Janssen.

Second biggest comeback in Jays’ history. An absolutely crazy game. Something like 4:02 for a regulation nine-inning game. Congratulations to Toronto for never quitting, to their fans in attendance for their enthusiasm, and especially to EE and Francisco, the ex-Reds who combined for three home runs and eight RBI.

Oh, something worth noting if you come to Cincinnati for a Friday night game--great post-game fireworks. I think that was why a lot of people didn't leave after four innings.

Brother and girlfriend head to Chicago today, Wrigley game tomorrow, Miller Park Tuesday. What a rough life.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

That sounds crazy!!!

and like a good time at the ballpark..Nice!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
    X