X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shhhhh

Just shhhhh

Hanley must feel terrible.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      Hanley must feel terrible.
      I'm not sure, but I dont think this is the first time a perfect game was spoiled by an error and nothing else. Anybody know?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        I'm not sure, but I dont think this is the first time a perfect game was spoiled by an error and nothing else. Anybody know?
        I remember the perfect game and no hitter that was ruined by an ump blowing a call.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          OK, googling this issue apparently indicates that I was right, altho the source provides little detail:

1. Christy Mathewson (Giants, 1905)--two errors.

2. Nap Rucker (Dodgers, 1908)--three errors.

3. Walter Johnson (Senators, 1920)--one error.

4. Dick Bosman (Indians, 1974)--one error-x.

5. Jerry Reuss (Dodgers, 1980)--one error.

6. Terry Mulholland (Phillies, 1990)--one error.

x-Bosman made a throwing error to ruin his perfect game.

From http://articles.latimes.com/1997/oct/01/sports/sp-38009.

Comment

So was this the best nohitter ever pitched? I don't believe there have ever been more strikeouts ever in a nohitter without a BB(?)

Out of date list here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/22

Comment

Found this on another site..i have no idea how the figure out the scores...

Game Score records:

Kerry Wood's 20-K game: 105

Clayton Kershaw tonight: 102

Matt Cain's perfect game: 101

Sandy Koufax's perfect game: 101
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It has the second best ever game score and the best one was Wood's 20-K 1-hitter, so I would say yes

Comment

More evidence that it may have been the best nohitter, if not the best game, ever pitched: looks like there was only one line drive by the Rockies, by pitcher Jorge de la Rosa in the third inning to third base.

Play-by-play action for the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Colorado Rockies MLB game from June 18, 2014 on ESPN.

I didn't see the game. I wonder if this was a hardhit line drive or barely considered a line drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Found this on another site..i have no idea how the figure out the scores...

Game Score records:

Kerry Wood's 20-K game: 105

Clayton Kershaw tonight: 102

Matt Cain's perfect game: 101

Sandy Koufax's perfect game: 101
                    from Wikipedia:

1. Start with 50 points.
                    2. Add one point for each out recorded, so three points for every complete inning pitched.
                    3. Add two points for each inning completed after the fourth.
                    4. Add one point for each strikeout.
                    5. Subtract two points for each hit allowed.
                    6. Subtract four points for each earned run allowed.
                    7. Subtract two points for each unearned run allowed.
                    8. Subtract one point for each walk.

The maximum possible game score in a nine-inning game while allowing no baserunners is 114, possible only if a pitcher goes nine innings while striking out every batter he faces and facing three batters per inning. More points are possible in the unlikely event of batters reaching on dropped third strikes and the pitcher recording more than 3 strikeouts in an inning.

Harvey Haddix had 107 in his 13 inning (12 perfect) game considered by many to be the greatest game ever pitched.

The two highest game scores ever recorded both occurred in the same game: the famous 26-inning duel from 1920, Joe Oeschger scored 153 and Leon Cadore scored 140.

edit: Haddix actually pitched 12.2 innings. Losing 1-0 in the bottom of the 13th.
                    Last edited by madducks; 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      from Wikipedia:

1. Start with 50 points.
                      2. Add one point for each out recorded, so three points for every complete inning pitched.
                      3. Add two points for each inning completed after the fourth.
                      4. Add one point for each strikeout.
                      5. Subtract two points for each hit allowed.
                      6. Subtract four points for each earned run allowed.
                      7. Subtract two points for each unearned run allowed.
                      8. Subtract one point for each walk.

The maximum possible game score in a nine-inning game while allowing no baserunners is 114, possible only if a pitcher goes nine innings while striking out every batter he faces and facing three batters per inning. More points are possible in the unlikely event of batters reaching on dropped third strikes and the pitcher recording more than 3 strikeouts in an inning.

Harvey Haddix had 107 in his 13 inning (12 perfect) game considered by many to be the greatest game ever pitched.

The two highest game scores ever recorded both occurred in the same game: the famous 26-inning duel from 1920, Joe Oeschger scored 153 and Leon Cadore scored 140.
                      Thanks. I should have said i have no desire to find out how they figure the total
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post

I didn't see the game. I wonder if this was a hardhit line drive or barely considered a line drive.
                        i watched the whole game. there was not a single hard hit ball. the rockies announcers were talking about it by about the 4th inning...
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                        X