Javier Baez vs Mookie Betts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javier Baez vs Mookie Betts

Who would you rather have for their first 4 major league seasons and why?

I feel like maybe Baez will be pretty good some time down the road but will struggle with terrible avg for a few years. Betts seems like a sure thing to be valuable almost from day 1.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

I hope you're right, as I just used the #1 pick in the PONY minor league draft on him. Baez is rated a lot higher, but Betts was the top available on my list.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      I hope you're right, as I just used the #1 pick in the PONY minor league draft on him. Baez is rated a lot higher, but Betts was the top available on my list.
      Was Baez available? I'm guessing no...
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

I feel like maybe Baez will be pretty good some time down the road but will struggle with terrible avg for a few years. Betts seems like a sure thing to be valuable almost from day 1.
        I think that the ceiling of Baez is so much higher than Betts that you have to take him if he's available. Betts will hit for a higher average, but the power is a huge advantage for Baez, and the speed is actually pretty comparable. It looks like it takes Baez a while to adjust to a new level, but when he does, it's dynamite.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I think that the ceiling of Baez is so much higher than Betts that you have to take him if he's available. Betts will hit for a higher average, but the power is a huge advantage for Baez, and the speed is actually pretty comparable. It looks like it takes Baez a while to adjust to a new level, but when he does, it's dynamite.
          yeah the ceiling of Baez is likely a good bit higher than Betts but the chance he gets near that ceiling I think isn't very good and its dropping everyday he shows no plate discipline in the minors. Betts is showing elite plate discipline and I think thats a sign that he's going to find early success.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Yeah, gotta agree with this.

Comment

yeah the ceiling of Baez is likely a good bit higher than Betts but the chance he gets near that ceiling I think isn't very good and its dropping everyday he shows no plate discipline in the minors. Betts is showing elite plate discipline and I think thats a sign that he's going to find early success.
              Can't agree at all, but we'll find out in 4 years...I'll lay my money on Baez every time.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Betts higher floor; Baez higher ceiling

Comment

I really like Mookie but I would still take Baez. He only needs 1 magical year out of 4 to pass 4 solid seasons from Mookie.

Comment

I'd go with Baez. I had a similar situation when I had a reserve pick in a draft before last season (this is where we take minor leaguers, can be kept on reserve until in the majors for free and for one year afterwards if you don't activate them). I had a choice between a high floor prospect who was likely to make the team out of spring training (like Betts is close now) and a higher ceiling prospect from the same organization who was at least a year away. (Well almost a year as it turned out.) Since I was planning on competing (I didn't), I took the high floor guy on the cusp of the majors. Was complemented for the pick at the time. Now, I really, really wish I had gone with Bogaerts instead of Bradley. Oops.

Comment

thanks guys. I was unsure if my thoughts were wrong so you guys have swayed me to stay put (I have Baez). I was trying to anticipate Baez sliding down the rankings in the next prospect update. I still might try it but I'll need some more value from the Betts owner. He's kind of weird to trade with... A few months ago I accept his offer that he sent via email, then I sent the offer through cbs, and then he rejected it. His own offer!!

Comment

Was Baez available? I'm guessing no...
                        That is correct. Baez was kept, as were Buxton, Polanco, Taveras, Bryant, Correa, Russell, Lindor, Pederson, Gallo, Seager, Franco, Soler, Almora, and Alcantara. The hitting pickings are a bit slim this year, as usual. Pitching "prospects" get dropped much more easily than hitters.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

So Betts gets the call today...how much would you bid in a mixed so he might still be keeper worthy for next year?

Comment

Dang..I was going to pick him up last week but wasn't sure how close he was to getting the call...and sure enough Mags7 picked him up Thursday...

He who hesitates is lost indeed
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              So Betts gets the call today...how much would you bid in a mixed so he might still be keeper worthy for next year?
                              I wouldn't bid more than single digits if I wanted him as a keeper...JMO.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X