Thoughts on this blockbuster deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this blockbuster deal

Just got this offer in my 12 team AL only league. It's a 5x5 league, normal categories but K/IP.

I give:

Justin Verlander $33A
    David Robertson X
    Brett Lawrie X
    Shin Soo-Choo $31A

I get:

Nick Castellanos $5A
    Brandon Workman $4A
    Luke Gregorson $5A
    James Paxton $5A
    Martin Perez $2B

Robertson and Lawrie can't be kept. "A" contract means they were drafted this year and "B" contracts last year and next year the normal contract extension decision would have to be made. He is very high on Castellanos and I like him too but this seems kind of light to me but I guess workable. What do you guys think?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Light, but workable. IIRC Perez had TJ surgery and would do you little or no good next year, so I'd pass on him. The last time I checked, Gregerson was thriving back in his setup role. I like Workman and Paxton at those prices. Castellanos, of course, is the key.

Viewing it from what you're giving up, it's a lot if you're in contention, but I gather you're not. Verlander's not a keeper at that price, sad to say; Robertson and Lawrie can't be kept; and Choo? Don't know (a definite keeper if your league was OBP).

So what are you really giving up if you're out of it? Choo. What are you getting? Castellanos, Workman, Paxton, and a useful-for-the-rest-of-the-year Gregerson.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

It's not a OBP league. If Choo were having a season like he was last year he could be a keeper but I don't really think he's a keeper.

I agree about Perez, though I think he sees him as someone you extend for one year while he's having TJS and then you have him cheap for the last year of the deal. I already have Nova at $1B so I don't need Perez too. This owner has Derek Holland at $7A and if were to replace Perez with him I think we'd be getting closer, though I don't love Holland but he's at a good price. I'd rather have a hitter.

There is another team that expressed interest in Verlander and Robertson. He has Springer at $10A, Skaggs $7A and Farquhar $9A (who I like better than Gregorson) as possible targets.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I think you're getting a lot of questionable keepers for a lot of questionable studs

If you're sold on Castellanos/Paxton then go ahead and make the deal while Verlander's still got some name recognition. If you're looking for more of a stud keeper than the ones you're getting, wait to see if Verlander regains form.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          It's not a OBP league. If Choo were having a season like he was last year he could be a keeper but I don't really think he's a keeper.

I agree about Perez, though I think he sees him as someone you extend for one year while he's having TJS and then you have him cheap for the last year of the deal. I already have Nova at $1B so I don't need Perez too. This owner has Derek Holland at $7A and if were to replace Perez with him I think we'd be getting closer, though I don't love Holland but he's at a good price. I'd rather have a hitter.

There is another team that expressed interest in Verlander and Robertson. He has Springer at $10A, Skaggs $7A and Farquhar $9A (who I like better than Gregorson) as possible targets.
          If you can get Springer for Verlander do it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            If you can get Springer for Verlander do it right now.
            this.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Seriously, trade the whole mess for Springer if that's what the guy wants...it's the better deal for you by a mile.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, none of the guys you're getting are really anything to sneeze at. Going into next year with that crew will likely mean another dump! Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Seriously, trade the whole mess for Springer if that's what the guy wants...it's the better deal for you by a mile.
                  Agreed.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

So the owner with Springer doesn't want to trade him because he's in 6th place and only wants to make a smaller type deal to move up a spot or two.

The original owner says he doesn't really care about Verlander but wants Choo and Robertson. Based on his original offer asking for Castellanos, Workman and Paxton would be too much. Maybe Castellanos, Gregorson and Paxton is more realistic. Gregorson looks to no longer be in the running for saves with Doolittle taking over and having a long term deal but he still puts up numbers that would make him valuable in a deep league like this one (we start 10 pitchers, I didn't mention that earlier).

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

So the owner with Springer doesn't want to trade him because he's in 6th place and only wants to make a smaller type deal to move up a spot or two.

The original owner says he doesn't really care about Verlander but wants Choo and Robertson. Based on his original offer asking for Castellanos, Workman and Paxton would be too much. Maybe Castellanos, Gregorson and Paxton is more realistic. Gregorson looks to no longer be in the running for saves with Doolittle taking over and having a long term deal but he still puts up numbers that would make him valuable in a deep league like this one (we start 10 pitchers, I didn't mention that earlier).
                      If you can't make a package for a stud keeper you might as well get a couple solid ones. Hopefully Verlander will right the ship and you can make another deal later on.

Comment

I think I was just offered Sonny Gray $3B for Robertson. I say think because the guy has a knack for making vague offers (he said he'd sway any pitcher on his team for Robertson) but that still doesn't mean he anything with him. He's a real peach to deal with. FYI - when I say peach I mean the absolute worst person on the face of the earth.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

are any of the guys you're getting big upgrades over keepers you already have? I wouldnt bother if you're only getting very modest upgrades.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

My current potential keepers are:

Chris Davis $19C16
                            Leonys Martin $15C16
                            Rougned Odor $10A
                            Oswaldo Arcia $10B
                            David Murphy $8A
                            Adam Lind $14B
                            Chris Archer $5B
                            Michael Pineda $4B
                            Ivan Nova $1B
                            Neftali Feliz $5B

Addison Russell $10M
                            Carlos Correa $10M
                            Adalberto Mondesi $3M
                            Bubba Startling $5M

Some of those are huge question marks. We can keep 12. Minor leaguers don't count against the 12 unless they make the opening day roster.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I dont see the point in trading for Gregerson, cant you pick up good MR's in season? Or buy at the auction for $5 or less?

Maybe Perez comes back June 1 next year and does ok at best but how much will he cost? Is he $2 or does that go up? How much would he cost at the auction if not kept?

Paxton wasnt a top 100 prospect coming into the year and he's been hurt for so long. Kind of a shot in the dark here.

Castellanos is the only one I like out of that group. Need to see some more IP from Workman before deciding.

Comment

Working...
                              X