Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Gray for David Wright?

11-team 5x5 (OBP) NL-only keeper league

Currently sitting in 4th (top 5 are in the money) but only a point out of 2nd and 5 points out of 1st. Pitching has been very strong apart from wins (stupid stat) and hitting has been hanging in there but has a lot of room for improvement. Gray is at $6 and will be on a 3-year contract once he's activated (September call-up doesn't count) with the option of being extended at $5 per year for a minimum of 2 years (most probable scenario is a 2-year extension unless he somehow dominates from the get-go so his salary would be $6/6/16/16/16). Wright is at $36 through next year although he probably wouldn't be a keeper. Stud prospects usually garner a bigger haul than this, but pitching is devalued in general (especially a Rockies pitcher). Gray being named the #7 prospect in the minors the other day by Keith Law certainly helps my bargaining power, but who knows by how much.

Thoughts? Ask for a little more of an upgrade by asking for his Granderson for my Schierholtz?

If you could get Grandy do it, but Wright will turn it around. I'd do it.

Comment

I'd do it to. Gray might be a great prospect by baseball standards but then again a guy with an ERA of 3.90 pitching half his games in Coors is a pretty good pitcher. Doesn't help your fantasy team.

Comment

Okay, so the other owner has agreed to include Granderson if I throw back either Schierholtz or Ludwick. Problem is, with a $30 Trumbo coming back fairly soon I'll be ridiculously cap strapped if I make this deal and would have to drop one of Danny Espinosa, Josh Harrison, or Rafael Furcal (assuming he's called up soon). Plus, I expect Jace Peterson to get another shot at some point so I'd have to make room for him as well.

Bottom line - is this the final trade I want to make? Will Wright and Granderson be difference makers?

Comment

You can certainly drop Furcal without losing any sleep...getting the Mets guys will really help your offense. And I wouldn't assume that peterson is anything more than a September callup, unless they deal Headley.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Did you actually say that the most probable scenario for this guy is a 2-year extension? Who's the last young starting pitcher in the NL who got to year 3 without a major injury and you would have felt comfortable extending for a total of three years at a non-trivial salary? It's not Strasburg, Harvey, Fernandez, Beachy, Corbin, Cashner, Cueto, Luebke, or Medlen... could have been Latos until this year... I guess Bumgarner? Lynn if he gets through this season?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over giving up the potential of a Colorado pitcher who isn't blowing away AA right now. I can't say whether this is the best deal you can find in your league, but in a vacuum I'd take it and not look back.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Young pitchers who do well generally get extended: Strasburg, Bumgarner, Kershaw, even Marco Estrada this year. I've still got Archie Bradley and Matt Wisler coming up so I'm not too worried about losing Gray, just wanted to make sure this is the right dump deal to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                You can certainly drop Furcal without losing any sleep...getting the Mets guys will really help your offense. And I wouldn't assume that peterson is anything more than a September callup, unless they deal Headley.
                Liar!

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Liar!
                  LOL...I guess I should have figured the way the Pad's infield was playing that he was a good possibility. All of a sudden, my NL only is getting full...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, since this was brought up, my team has rocketed to first place due to my excellent pitchers finally getting some wins along with some hot hitting. As of now, my only hitter that doesn't start everyday is Ludwick which is pretty rare for a league this deep. My hitting overall is still middle of the pack except for being 2nd in steals. I still expect Schierholtz, Heyward, Wong, and Jace Peterson (if he stays up) to improve but could see some regression from Mark Reynolds and Ozuna in the power department and guys like R. Martin, M. Montero, and Rollins are exceeding expectations (although they all have a history of success). Trumbo seems to be out another month but his power will help offset any dropoff from Reynolds/Ozuna.

The only other dumping team with decent hitters has Utley and Votto for $4 more than Wright/Granderson. Not sure what his interest would be in Gray, but I could dangle Peterson and Wisler as well. Which package would you prefer?

Comment

Utley and Votto
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Neither, Utley has one homer in the 2 months, and Votto's own manager has stated that he's probably not going to be playing at 100% for the rest of the season. And i don't know that I'd want Wright, frankly, I think that he's a fading star that just isn't going to help that much....270 average, 4 homers, 4 steals, 4 caught stealing. You can get that anywhere really cheaply.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Neither, Utley has one homer in the 2 months, and Votto's own manager has stated that he's probably not going to be playing at 100% for the rest of the season. And i don't know that I'd want Wright, frankly, I think that he's a fading star that just isn't going to help that much....270 average, 4 homers, 4 steals, 4 caught stealing. You can get that anywhere really cheaply.
                          if the offer is still Gray and Schierholtz, that seems pretty cheap to me.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

It is an OBP league which Votto and Utley are both elite options and Wright normally is.

Staying put is unheard of in this league so some other team will make the trade if I don't. The 7th place team just made a big trade by adding Pedro Alvarez, Span, Gio Gonzalez, and Adam Laroche and he's 23.5 points back so it wouldn't be crazy for him to catch up.

Comment

OK, but what are you getting in return? None of the guys being offered are playing anywhere close to their career numbers, and don't look like they're going to, IMO. And you give up a guy who's one of the big time arms in the minors...can he be great? Sure, can he be crappy? Sure. Can he be somewhere in-between? Likely. I'd rather have the guy with the upside to perform, and maybe get a better return later if you choose to go that route.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X