trading for Aaron Hill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading for Aaron Hill?

10-team NL 5x5. I'm in second and I had three closers - Grilli ($5/expiring), Cishek ($5/expiring), Rondon ($10/yr 1) and was lagging pretty severely in strikeouts and doing well in saves even with Grilli's injury, so I decided to trade one and said that I'd take pretty much anything - I could use hitters of almost any type or a starting pitcher with Lee injured. The offers I got were Simon ($11/yr 1) for Rondon, Lincecum ($13/yr 2) for Grilli, or Tyson Ross ($1/yr 2) for Grilli. The Ross offer seemed a lot better than the alternatives so I took that one.

I then got an offer from the first-place team of Aaron Hill ($22/expiring) for Ross. I don't particularly like this deal on its face, but if Hill started being non-mediocre, it'd be worth it. Hill would be replacing either Hechevarria or Ruggiano; if I traded Ross I'd have to start Stauffer or Black or Ottavino. Should I even be considering this? I don't think so, but hitters are pretty hard to find in this league and I doubt my reserves (Zach Walters and Alex Guerrero) are likely to help anytime soon.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I've found the same problem to be true in my 11-team NL-only - quality pitchers don't hold the same value as hitters. Ross being at $1 adds a little wrinkle, seems like a dumping team would give up a better hitter than Hill for him. It'd be a risky move for sure since Hill is both streaky and injury-prone, but your pitching alternatives are pretty dang good and Hill could go on a power surge at any minute.

Comment

If there is a breakout month for Hill, this should be it. Arizona hitters have a nice schedule this month, with 14 of their next 22 games at home, and 3 of the 8 road games at Coors. Rockies hitters have it even better with 16 of their next 23 games at home.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

We have a very deep bench which exacerbates the problem. The hitters currently available who had the most at bats in the last week are Drew Butera, Cesar Hernandez, Barmes, Rene Rivera, Brignac, Inciarte, Pennington, and it goes down from there. The only unowned home run last week was a pinch hit HR by Scott Hairston in his only at bat. On the other hand, the only starting pitchers available are Eric Stults and David Buchanan, but there are a bunch of decent MRs that wouldn't hurt you any - Schlitter, Casilla, Alex Torres, Stammen, etc.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Unfortunately Ross probably won't generate a ton of interest from dumpers. I don't think this is a bad offer given the scarcity of usable hitters

Comment

Hill is a pretty big upgrade for you, so I'd do it.

Comment

Always ask yourself these questions--

"What does this do to me next year?"

"Who does the incoming guy replace?"

"Who do I have to replace the departing guy?"

The first isn't relevant when you're going for the gold. You're replacing Hechevarria (who plays, but isn't much good) or Ruggiano (who doesn't play much when healthy, and who is mediocre). Ottavino should continue to put up good numbers; he's Grilli without the saves.

Consider the net of the two trades. IMO the upgrade with Hill is bigger than the downgrade from Grilli to Ottavino. Take the deal.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Working...
              X