Made a Big Trade--HDID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a Big Trade--HDID?

12-team, AL-Only. I'm rarely a contender, but I'm in the top half this year, so for once, I'm going for it. One of the lower-ranked teams sounded me out about a big dump deal, the kind I rarely make, and it made sense to me. After a little modification, this is what we did--

I got--

Miguel Cabrera $51-'15
    Dustin Pedroia $43-'16
    Ronald Belisario $4-'16
    Courtney Hawkins--minors

I gave--

Manny Machado $5-'15 (who hours later hit a grand slam, the little sh**)
    Taijuan Walker--minors
    Carlos Correa--minors
    Jake Peavy $14-'16 (roster filler)
    Don Kelly $2-'16 (same)

So, did I give up too much of my future for this shot at the title? Maybe I hosed myself, most of my "young core" is gone, but doggone it, I don't contend often. I got power and saves, both needed, and didn't give up anyone who was helping me NOW.

Give me your tired, your poor, and your opinions. Thanks!
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

I'm assuming 3-year contracts for any minor leaguers once they're called up and no extensions?

On the surface I think it's a fair deal. If you break it up into Miggy for Machado/Walker and Pedroia for Correa - those are both fair. I wouldn't count on Belisario as some sort of saves savior though, I'd be surprised if he still has the job in a month.

As a frame of reference, I just traded an expiring Trout for Byron Buxton in my 10-team AL-only where minor leaguers are $5 until they're called up, then have a 3-year contract with 1 option year. Also, David Price was just traded for Mark Appel.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      I'm assuming 3-year contracts for any minor leaguers once they're called up and no extensions?

On the surface I think it's a fair deal. If you break it up into Miggy for Machado/Walker and Pedroia for Correa - those are both fair. I wouldn't count on Belisario as some sort of saves savior though, I'd be surprised if he still has the job in a month.
      he has the job now?

DQ, I actually think you gave up quite a bit but I wouldnt say it was too much. I think I would have liked a better 3rd player than Belisario. Like a Doolittle if we're talking about newly minted closers.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I love the deal. You got Miggy and hopefully Pedroia will heat up.

Machado seems to be over rated. Walker and Correa to get Miggy is a great deal. Win this year!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

As a frame of reference, I just traded an expiring Trout for Byron Buxton in my 10-team AL-only where minor leaguers are $5 until they're called up, then have a 3-year contract with 1 option year. Also, David Price was just traded for Mark Appel.
          When they're first activated, it's "Year Zero", then three more. Extensions allowed. A blue-chip minor leaguer can be darned valuable; the question is whether he'll be on one's roster or be a Yankee-style trading chip.

I'm not counting on Belisario to be a "saves savior"; if he can grind out a few before he implodes completely, I'm satisfied. I lucked into Lindstrom, who did the same thing for a while. It took years for me to realize that the best way to approach saves is "buy no more than one closer, then do your homework and hope for another".

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Hmmm, Correa is supposed to be the real deal at a premium position, I might be a little more gunshy knowing your league's rules. Then again, overvaluing prospects - especially ones as young as Correa - can sometimes be unwise so you may have done the right thing.

Comment

Hmmm, Correa is supposed to be the real deal at a premium position, I might be a little more gunshy knowing your league's rules. Then again, overvaluing prospects - especially ones as young as Correa - can sometimes be unwise so you may have done the right thing.
              Overvaluing prospects? You mean like I did with Machado?

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Overvaluing prospects? You mean like I did with Machado?
                I had the same seller's remorse when I dealt Profar. Now that he will provide almost no profit to the team I traded him to, I don't feel so bad. Then again, I traded Ellsbury when he was still a young prospect

Comment

I like it. If you have a chance to win it this year, you can't go wrong acquiring the best hitter in baseball. The biggest regret from the group you traded may be Correa. Although, he's probably two years away from the bigs. A championship this year would make this deal a lot easier to swallow. If Cabrera at $51 is a fair price in your league, you may even consider keeping him to make another title run next year.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

We have been in an NL together for years, and I know your play style from there is to not make these big moves. And so you are never in the top spots, but also not in the very bottom, as you never do the big purge and rebuild cycle. That I do. That I did a bit in NL this year. I freakin really dislike my team in NL this year, but it will probably end up in top 5, those high salary ninnies eating all my cap space that I traded for will get me a money spot maybe. But to what end? I traded away a bunch of prospects that hopefully wont haunt me for years. I wont trade Bryant as I do not feel the magic this year with my team and I have given enough of my future value.

But you, will you be ok with the deal you did if you dont win, and end up just in the top 4 somewhere? If you are ok with that, then you have your answer on how you did, because you did get some nice upgrade stats in the now for some value in the later. I like Machado, Correa, Walker fine but I dont think they are the guys that are going to make you sick you traded them away to win today. I think you did fine.

Comment

Gotta give to get. You got Miggy. You did good.

Comment

I tried to break it down like this. I would have liked to see another useable player - I'm not high on Belisario and Pedroia has underperformed. But maybe I'm overvaluing the youngsters who really haven't shown much in the majors collectively.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Fantasy owners get so consumed with having the next big prospects instead of winning this year.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                          X