Who to Cut, Who to Pick up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to Cut, Who to Pick up?

With Santana going down and his return date uncertain, it would be nice to have another catcher on my roster in my 16 team one catcher league. Most of the league runs with one catcher, so the waiver wire has some good options out there. My problem is there is no one I want to cut from my roster, so I need advice on both fronts.

First, which available catcher should I nab:

AJ Pierzynski
    Carlos Ruiz
    John Jaso
    Chris Iannetta
    Josmil Pinto

And more difficult to me, because I like some of these as keepers--all but Gallardo are $5, Gallardo is $20 (we keep 15, so a guy doesn't have to be a stud to be a keeper):

Nick Franklin (he has done nothing, but I think he will eventually hit)
    Alex Wood (not doing much for me now, but I still believe in him as a starter)
    Gavin Floyd (been a lot better than I thought he would be)
    Yovani Gallardo (last year he got better late in the season)
    Adam Ottavino (I think he becomes the closer eventually)

If you're an OBP league, I'd prefer Jaso over the others. He doesn't hurt you in a BA league, either. IIRC he's been hitting second for the A's, which is a nice spot for runs. He does enough to help a little. Of the others, I'm a Pierzynski fan (although I don't own him in any league this year); he does just enough. I don't think I'd cut any of the guys you mentioned for any of the other three.

As for who to cut--tough choice. I'm not a fan of Franklin, so he'd be my choice, unless you think you can cut Ottavino and get him back later. He kind of flies under everyone's radar as a Rockies MR.

But please don't take my word for any of this. As I say too often, "Consider the source".
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

I'd probably take Jaso first, but Ianetta isn't a bad second choice in an OBP league.

I'd cut Alex Wood.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd take Jaso and drop Franklin unless you're really hurting for middle infielders.

Comment

I'd go with Jaso as well, but to add to the confusion, I'd drop Floyd...I can't believe that he'll keep this up, although I said the same thing about Harang.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Jaso is a good pick but I bet you'll have a good selection all season if those guys are all available now. Dont worry too much about picking the wrong one now.

I'm actually thinking about swapping Montero for Jaso in my shallow mixed league.

I'd drop Franklin or Ottavino. At least in my leagues, potential closers are there for the taking all season, SP are not.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Yeah, that is how I am leaning, although my league is all about upside, and with a few owners already out of it, Franklin and Ottavino would get snatched up. Flyod probably would too though, and Wood. Basically, anyone I cut will get picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Basically, anyone I cut will get picked up.
                ha, been there before. Not so much this season but in years past I've hoarded lots of players with potential and of course each of them get snatched as soon as I'm forced to drop.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I ended up dropping Floyd. He has already been Picked up. I went with AJfor this week. he seems the hottest, and I think Jason will be there if I want him later.

Comment

Working...
                  X