Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trade advice - jay bruce - will he turn it around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade advice - jay bruce - will he turn it around?

Pretty deep 10 team NL only. I've been offered Jay Bruce for Angel Pagan and Alfredo Simon. Comes down to whether Bruce will help me or hurt me.

I know Bruce has been injured and awful, but Pagan, while he's played well, is just as much as an injury risk. Simon has played well but should I sell high or hang on for the ride? Questions, questions... Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Jump on it, IMO....Bruce is as consistent as they get when it comes to power hitters, and if you've got a fidgety owner, take advantage when you can. Pagan is a good player, and Simon may not have a spot in the rotation once Latos comes back...do it.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I own Bruce and Pagan, as it happens.

Simon indeed is a fluke and pretty much irrelevant going forward.

But I'd rather have Pagan this year, in spite of having paid only $17 for him and $38 for Bruce two months ago.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks but that's one vote each way. Need some more to break the tie!

The only thing that bothers me about Bruce is the injury/surgery and whether that's gonna affect him the rest of the season. Or is that the type of injury players can quickly bounce back from?

Comment

Simon shouldn't be the guy who gets the boot from the rotation when Latos comes back; that "honor" should go to Cingrani. The vibe I get from Reds fans and local talk is that it will be Simon anyways, but post-Dusty, it's hard to tell. People here in Cincinnati are so used to the manager making the wrong move that they're guessing that way.

I overspent on Bruce myself. I sent him away in a dump trade a few weeks ago. I finally spend the big bucks on a Red, and look what happens (bought Latos in another league, where I'm also a bottom-tier team this year).

Pagan is doing well. Simon is doing well. Bruce is not. I don't do this deal.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Well I did pull the trigger on this one, hopefully it'll work out. Thanks for your opinions and advice, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I own Bruce and Pagan, as it happens.

Simon indeed is a fluke and pretty much irrelevant going forward.

But I'd rather have Pagan this year, in spite of having paid only $17 for him and $38 for Bruce two months ago.
              To say Simon is irrelevant in a ten team NL only is not true at all.

I would make the deal to take Bruce unless youll take a decent tumble in steals and runs losing Pagan.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                To say Simon is irrelevant in a ten team NL only is not true at all.

I would make the deal to take Bruce unless youll take a decent tumble in steals and runs losing Pagan.
                To say Simon HAS BEEN irrelevant in a ten team NL only so far would not be true at all.

But that's not what I wrote.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  To say Simon HAS BEEN irrelevant in a ten team NL only so far would not be true at all.

But that's not what I wrote.

and why is he irrelevant now? Because you continue to expect major regression as many have said since April 15th?
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

apologies to clams for hijacking the thread. One last post from me. When the following starters are all that's available on waivers, Simon is quite relevant.

Stults, Eric SP SD
                    Morales, Franklin RP COL
                    Volquez, Edinson SP PIT
                    Kendrick, Kyle SP PHI
                    Nicasio, Juan SP COL
                    Arroyo, Bronson SP ARI
                    Hernandez, Roberto SP PHI

Comment

that's why God made relief pitchers available!
                      only ones of those available in my league are Morales and Hernandez
                      #pass

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        apologies to clams for hijacking the thread. One last post from me. When the following starters are all that's available on waivers, Simon is quite relevant.

Stults, Eric SP SD
                        Morales, Franklin RP COL
                        Volquez, Edinson SP PIT
                        Kendrick, Kyle SP PHI
                        Nicasio, Juan SP COL
                        Arroyo, Bronson SP ARI
                        Hernandez, Roberto SP PHI
                        What's sad is that in various leagues, I have owned four of those seven this year. Obviously, I am not in contention in those leagues. I did cut Morales in one league this weekend, which may help me hold on--to 10th place.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Is Simon still a fluke Judge? If so, at what point wont he be?

Comment

wow, hell hath no fury!

Simon has been fantastic, go figure. he's gotten his Ks up and his walks down, to where he's not a fluke. still way over his head, but his head is in the clouds so even reality for him right now would be quite good.

plus Pagan got hurt and Bruce is heating up. no wonder I'm in 8th place!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

wow, hell hath no fury!

Simon has been fantastic, go figure. he's gotten his Ks up and his walks down, to where he's not a fluke. still way over his head, but his head is in the clouds so even reality for him right now would be quite good. only caveat is that he'll likely either suck in Sept or not pitch, so still worth moving if you're a contender.

plus Pagan got hurt and Bruce is heating up. no wonder I'm in 8th place!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X