Traded Jose Fernandez--HDID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traded Jose Fernandez--HDID?

League info: 16 team mixed points league. Truly elite arms are the highest scoring players in our system. We have a $400 cap, and can extend players up to 6 years. Jose is due for extension after this year. Our scoring and high cap mean that elite talent, even elite SPs, often get 5 or 6 year extensions. Before his injury, I planned on making Jose my first max contract pitcher (I didn't max Kershaw and regretted it).

But I am in position to win this year. After shopping Jose extensively, the best offer I could manage was Howie Kendrick $20 and Ian Kennedy, expiring. Howie, if he keeps this up is a fine keeper at $20. Kennedy, if he keeps it up, is a fine addition to my staff. Did I get enough? Would you have traded Jose in this circumstance?

And, broader question, I know some here never like extending arms, ever. Would your opinions change in a set up like ours, with the potential of contracts being so relatively low to value for elite talent? To put it in perspective, a guy like Kershaw in his prime would exceed $100 in our auction. This year, Felix and Verlander went in the high 60s, but last year, they combined for exactly $200.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    League info: 16 team mixed points league. Truly elite arms are the highest scoring players in our system. We have a $400 cap, and can extend players up to 6 years. Jose is due for extension after this year. Our scoring and high cap mean that elite talent, even elite SPs, often get 5 or 6 year extensions. Before his injury, I planned on making Jose my first max contract pitcher (I didn't max Kershaw and regretted it).

But I am in position to win this year. After shopping Jose extensively, the best offer I could manage was Howie Kendrick $20 and Ian Kennedy, expiring. Howie, if he keeps this up is a fine keeper at $20. Kennedy, if he keeps it up, is a fine addition to my staff. Did I get enough? Would you have traded Jose in this circumstance?

And, broader question, I know some here never like extending arms, ever. Would your opinions change in a set up like ours, with the potential of contracts being so relatively low to value for elite talent? To put it in perspective, a guy like Kershaw in his prime would exceed $100 in our auction. This year, Felix and Verlander went in the high 60s, but last year, they combined for exactly $200.
    I think you and your leaguemates may want to revisit your scoring system, if individual pitchers are valued that highly. What do stud hitters go for?
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      I think you and your leaguemates may want to revisit your scoring system, if individual pitchers are valued that highly. What do stud hitters go for?
      Miggy went for well over $100 this year. He was by far the biggest contract. It isn't that out of whack. Last year, the top 6 scorers, in order, were Kershaw, Trout, Darvish, Scherzer, Davis, Miggy.

Comment

Now that I have made the deal, the other owners I begged to take Jose for weeks have come out to complain I should have traded with them. One owner had been offering Neil Walker and Hanley for my Fernadez and Lindor. He now says he would have included Vmart and dropped Lindor. Wish I would have known that before! Although I think he is saying that just to make me feel bad for not dealing with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Now that I have made the deal, the other owners I begged to take Jose for weeks have come out to complain I should have traded with them. One owner had been offering Neil Walker and Hanley for my Fernadez and Lindor. He now says he would have included Vmart and dropped Lindor. Wish I would have known that before! Although I think he is saying that just to make me feel bad for not dealing with him.
          People always say that...I say that they're full of shit. You obviously shopped Fernandez and they didn't bite, and now that he's gone, they cry foul. That said, if those 2 can help you win it this year, it's all good...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            People always say that...I say that they're full of shit. You obviously shopped Fernandez and they didn't bite, and now that he's gone, they cry foul. That said, if those 2 can help you win it this year, it's all good...
            +1 on this.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I have no idea how you did, the system is too different to try to judge. But, I definitely agree on the whining about you not accepting an offer he never made. Really? That's just bad form.

Comment

Working...
              X