Trade package for Tulo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade package for Tulo

I am dumping and my entire team has pretty much sucked this year except Tulowitzki. (The only other desirable trade chips I have are Bumgarner and Choo.)

We are a hybrid league with odd rules, basically equivalent to a 17-team mixed. We do not have long term contracts; instead, keepers are done on a year-to-year basis, and to keep a guy you give him a 50% raise from his salary the previous year. We can keep up to 6 and have a $75 cap instead of $260.

I have been offered Cueto ($3.50, translation $12, for 2015) and Segura ($2.25, translation $8, for 2015) for Tulowitzki (not retainable for 2015) and Uehara ($2.25, translation $8, for 2015).

The Puig owner has also expressed interest in Tulo. As Puig is $1.50 (translation $5) for 2015 and barring injury can be kept for a long time, it would take Tulo plus a bunch of other stuff (at least one of Bumgarner and Choo, maybe both) to get him.

In addition, TheGaffer (whom some of you know from the music drafts) has offered Kershaw ($9 ($32) for 2015) for "a stud hitter" (could only mean Tulo or Choo) and "a real good pitcher."

Should I empty the chamber for Puig or take (or make a counter on) the Cueto/Segura deal and look to shop Bumgarner and Choo elsewhere?

We can keep a maximum of 6 and possible-to-probable keepers already on my roster include Hamels ($3 ($11) for 2015), Anibal Sanchez ($3.50 ($12) for 2015), Crisp ($3.50 ($12) for 2015), Burnett ($3.50 ($12) for 2015), Alfredo Simon ($1.25 ($4) for 2015) and whichever of Asche or Franco has the Phillies 3B job next year (both $1 ($4) for 2015). I also have Joey Gallo ($1 ($4) for 2015) in the mix if he looks to get to the majors by 2015.

Other guys I could trade that don't appear to be retainable for 2015 (because I apparently paid too much for them this year) are Matt Adams, Todd Frazier, Allen Craig, Kole Calhoun, Brandon Phillips, Kolten Wong, Justin Masterson and the Frieri/Smith LAA closer duo.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Your salary explanation confuses the hell out of me. If you only have to give a guy a 50% raise, how can Cueto be $3.50 next year?

Anyway, I'd take Cueto and Segura if you only have to give up Tulo and Uehara. That way you could keep Cueto, Segura, Hamels, Anibal, and hopefully two better keepers than the ones you have when you make some more trades. I'd hold off on trading Adams and Craig until they heat up but Wong's buzz is getting bigger so it wouldn't be a bad idea to cash in on it right away.

Comment

He is $2.25 this year. $2.25 x 1.5 = $3.375. We use quarter increments, so $3.375 is rounded up to $3.50. I didn't explain the rounding-up part in the first post because it was already loquacious enough.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what (translation $12, for 2015) means for Cueto...and everyone else.

Anyway, I'm with overkill...if those are the offers you want to choose from then Cueto/Segura is a good catch for an unkeepable Tulo and an old Uehera. You could then try to use Madison and Choo with some of your fringe keepers and swap them for solid keepers.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          I'm still trying to figure out what (translation $12, for 2015) means for Cueto...and everyone else.
          He is just doing the math for us, equating his salaries with standard league salaries. I empathize, as I am in a non-standard league, and asking for advice often involves internal translations to help it make sense to others.

Anyway, the Cueto deal isn't bad. I'd shop around as much as possible and maximize value, but that isn't a bad offer. Segura started horribly, but looks to be coming around. I still believe in him as a top 5-8 SS long term.

Comment

I do the Puig one over the others. You still have a few pieces to try and get another keeper and he's easily the best available. I would never trust Cueto's arm to stay attached his body long enough for him to be great for you next year.

Comment

Sour Masher is correct. The numbers in parentheses are what the salaries translate to in a $260 cap. Listing them at $1.50 or $2.25 would mean nothing to most of you.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I do the Puig one over the others. You still have a few pieces to try and get another keeper and he's easily the best available. I would never trust Cueto's arm to stay attached his body long enough for him to be great for you next year.
                Cueto's injury concerns have been vastly overblown and he's been a true ace since 2011. Add to that his increased strikeout rate and ridiculous ratios this year and he could even be considered a top-5 SP.

Comment

What does "can be kept for a long time" on Puig actually mean? I would lean towards that deal, depending on what else you have to "throw" in.

I would not do both of Bum and Choo with Tulo. One yes, both no. If I had to do all three I would go and take the Cueto/Segura deal.

Comment

You only keep 6 so getting the single best keeper is better than a package of lesser keepers. Go for Puig.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Cueto's injury concerns have been vastly overblown and he's been a true ace since 2011. Add to that his increased strikeout rate and ridiculous ratios this year and he could even be considered a top-5 SP.
                      Vastly overblown? He pitched less than 100 ip the last two years, and he's had significant injuries three of four years.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Chancellor, I think you were including this year when making that statement. Last year was the only year he had a "significant" injury which was an oblique that they tried to rush him back from. He missed a little time in 2011, but he made at least 30 starts in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          What does "can be kept for a long time" on Puig actually mean?
                          He will be $1.50 in 2015, $2.25 in 2016, $3.50 in 2017, $5.25 in 2018 and $8 in 2019. Those are all reasonable prices if he remains a first-round-caliber fantasy player. $8 in our dollars is $28 in $260-cap dollars. He could be kept for $12 in 2020, which is $42 in $260 cap dollars; the way our auction dynamics are, no one except Miggy and Kershaw (when healthy) have gone for that in recent years. As mentioned, we do not have long-term contracts and keeper decisions are made on a year-to-year basis, so there are no consequences for dropping someone due to injury or reduced level of performance.

Comment

I dealt a boatload for Puig.

Tulo, Choo, Phillips, Y Molina (1-catcher league, not difficult to draft a decent one for a reasonable price) and Drew Smyly for Puig, Carlos Ruiz and Brandon Hicks - the latter two really just so I can have a legal starting lineup.

Still have Bumgarner, Craig, Adams, Fraizer, Wong, Masterson, Crisp, Uehara and the LAA closer combo that could be used in other deals.

Thanks to all for your input. Now it's up to Puig to avoid serious injury. Last year someone gave up a ton for Matt Harvey and it didn't work out so well.

Comment

Hitters are safer, another reason to go for Puig. I think you did the best move. When people get desperate near the deadline, you can pick up other pieces, you got the prime piece already.

Comment

Working...
                              X