X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Question

For the guys that do auction drafts
    How much do you spend on hitters /pitchers

Typical is around 70% for Hitters, 30% for Pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
      Typical is around 70% for Hitters, 30% for Pitchers.
      Agreed. That's pretty typical. However, I sort of consider that the "expert's ratio." If too many people in your league all use the same methodology, it might be better to even it out a little more depending on where value is to be had. For example, I ALWAYS go cheap on pitching. The wildest I go is maybe an ace with a bunch of scrubs or ace plus strikeout relievers. Whatever. But I rarely pay a lot or target more than just a couple starters. However, something strange happened in my 12-team NL draft: everybody decided to pay for hitting, boosting salaries of high- and mid-range guys, even though we rarely have much inflation. Luckily, I had very solid cheap hitting keepers (KJohnson, Alvarez, Castro, Stanton, Braun, Bruce, Torres) and so I landed a $24 Pena and sat on pitchers. By the time we got around to pitchers pretty much everyone was tapped out, so I got Marcum for $11, Kuroda for $6, Putz for $9 and Nunez for $7, (to go with keepers THudson, Gallardo, Axford, Chapman and Myers) steals all. I figure that's about $70 worth of pitching for $33. I spent $116 on pitching, way more than usual, but I ended up with a better team than I expected.

Comment

Without consciously paying attention to it, I spent 72/28 in both my AL-Only and NL-Only leagues.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

ALWAYS buy your offense at the auction. Minimum is a 70/30 split towards hitting.

Trade and faab your way to a pitching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
            ALWAYS buy your offense at the auction. Minimum is a 70/30 split towards hitting.

This is a good way to put yourself in contention. I try to spend a minimum of $200 on pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              This is a good way to put yourself in contention. I try to spend a minimum of $200 on pitching.
              Wow! $200 on pitching?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                $200 seems like you would get at least 5 top of the line pitchers

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post

Good advice. This always reminds me of what the great Bill Walsh said about building that 49er dynasty of the 80s-90s: "Scheme on offense, draft on defense." The same principle applies to fantasy baseball: "Scheme on pitching, draft for hitting."

Comment

190/70 or 73% hitting/27% pitching

Comment

I prefer 180/80 myself
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Great question grady. I started drafting Ffootball, ....and Fbaseball a long time ago, ....longer than I'd care to admit. But I've only recently (2008-2009) become intrigued by the dynamics of strategy for auction drafts. Last year, I drafted two Fbaseball teams. One team pulled a 1st place finish out of nowhere, ....that was a snake draft team. The other, ....an auction team, ....was in contention coming into Sept, ....but folded like a wet taco down the stretch.

My goal is to WIN a team that I bought, ....via auction. Your question got me to thinking about my 2011 hitters vs. pitchers expenditure ratio (I drafted in one auction + one snake draft). So, .....I calculated my costs and found that I spent 69.6% on hitters. That made me feel pretty good, ....pretty normal, .....but that auction didn't go ANYTHING like I expected. I USUALLY sit back, ....nab a few expensive studs at a modest discount, but generally save plenty of money for mid-game and end game bargains. Instead, ....I found myself grabbing lots of stud bargains early, one or two mid-game bargains, ....and settling for a ton of $1 players. Even though I only spent $79 on pitching, ....I got these guys:

Halladay
                        Lester
                        Haren
                        Colby Lewis
                        James Shields
                        Edwin Jackson
                        Chris Perez
                        Craig Kimbrel
                        Brian Fuentes
                        Jon Rauch
                        Jose Contreras
                        Ryan Madson

The bottom line: I've been listening to XM/Sirius Radio Fantasy Baseball for the last several weeks. I've heard the "how much should I spend on hitting vs. pitching?" question numerous times. Although the 65/35 and 72/28 answers are okay, ....you SHOULD NOT lock in on ANY inflexible strategies. You need to develop a feel for the auction, ...adjust to the trends, ....get the early/mid auction bargains, and ALWAYS save money for the semi-late and the end game steals.

Comment

I've done about 190/70 the last two years. I'll flex the pitching number about +/- $5-8 each way, depending on values at the auction.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Brain cloud. I spend at least $200 on hitting, leaving $60 or less for pitching. It takes some work. You need to find an underrated closer. You put a couple of good MRs with him who have a legit chance for saves. Buy an offense geared to dominate. Get some starting pitchers who have a chance to put together a good year, which takes a lot of research. I probably spend much more study time and much less money on pitching than most.
                            Last edited by ; 03-28-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X