No announcement yet.

My Midwest baseball trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PNC is my "home" park and also my favorite. Best view of downtown across the river. Very few bad seats in the house and a TON of amazing ones. Great atmosphere. Seats are still pretty cheap. Food prices are "competitive" and the ballpark beer selection has improved greatly. Only downside is that the concourses aren't really built for a sellout so it can feel a little cramped at times.

Loved Coors Field and AT&T. BOB was pretty good too (maybe it's Chase Field now?). Even had a good time at evil Fenway.

Wrigley was just ok but Wrigleyville (the neighborhood around it) was amazing.

Really want to get to Citi Field, as well as Petco/Safeco. Might get to go to KC this summer, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      Inspired by rhd's post, let's share personal favorites (minus the enjoyable writeup from rhd, which I'm far too lazy to attempt).

I really enjoyed:
      Camden Yards (the Warehouse and Boog's BBQ are great features)
      AT&T Park (Could do without the food/garlic, but the view to McCovey Cover is special)
      Coors Field (great views from the whole park)

For some reason, PNC Park is the one I would most like to visit.

How about the rest of the 'pen?
      All three of those parks are in my top 10.

I highly recommend PNC Park, which is #3 on my list. Might be a little difficult to get there from the deep blue sea, tho. Is the Ohio River big enough for you?

Comment

AT&T is my home park and my favorite, Camden Yards is my 2nd. PNC is good, but I find the new Cards stadium to be pretty generic, reminding me more of the Twins stadium than anything else
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          AT&T is my home park and my favorite, Camden Yards is my 2nd. PNC is good, but I find the new Cards stadium to be pretty generic, reminding me more of the Twins stadium than anything else
          Practically all of the new stadiums are nice. But the Camden Yards model is the new "cookie cutter". So New Busch is kinda generic in that sense. But I thought it was nice. As I said, might make my top ten.

AT&T is great, my #4. OPACY is my #2. Noone's mentioned my #1 yet.

Comment

As a Cubs fan, it's hard for me to admit, but nothing beats Fenway; it's like being in a time machine.

PNC was awesome, especially since they let us in for free and we got to sit in the front row behind the dugout (Tues afternoon and about 3K attendance). I was really impressed with Comerica as well...they somehow managed to capture the sliver of Detroit skyline that doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Camden, Coors, Petco, Citizens, and Progressive are all great. Dodger Stadium was beautiful except for the ridiculously tiny bathrooms. I haven't been to Kauffman in years but I remember it being pretty good.

Angel Stadium gets special props for having the best eye candy, I think I strained my neck from tracking so many hotties.

Miller and Chase I believe are pretty much replicas, solid but nothing special.

My least favorite is easily the Cell; don't get bad seats if you're afraid of heights. The Marlins' old park was awful as well (haven't been to the new one). Oakland wasn't that great either, nor was Tropicana.

If I had to rank them, I'd go:

1. Fenway
            2. Wrigley
            3. PNC
            4. Camden
            5. Comerica
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I took a trip with my son ten years ago this summer. We went to Camden, Jacobs (as it was then) Comerica, Miller and the Cell. Walked around Wrigley, but they were on the road. I would rate Comerica the best, US Cell the worst of the group.
              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

My favourite park was Dodger Stadium. It was like a big party. Good call on Fenway being a time machine. I sat on the green monster right beside the LF foul pole. That was awesome.

I also like Rogers Centre because I've been going there for over 20 years and it's like going home.

ETA: My top 5
                Dodger Stadium
                Fenway Park
                Camden Yards - I love Boog's BBQ, all the merch and the warehouse backdrop
                Yankee Stadium - another throwback and the fans were kind to me in my Blue Jays Clemens jersey (he pitched)
                Comerica - was a fun park to roam and neat scenery with the Lions' stadium in sight. Also, eating a Little Caesar's pizza in your seat is pretty sweet.
                Last edited by virgonomic; 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  My favourite park was Dodger Stadium. It was like a big party.
                  That's my #1. Dont know about the party aspect, but where else do you see flowering plants growing naturally on the ramps going up to the stadium? The organist just adds an exclamation point to a great ballpark experience. And except for sometimes in April, you're guaranteed to have great weather for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    As a Cubs fan, it's hard for me to admit, but nothing beats Fenway; it's like being in a time machine.

PNC was awesome, especially since they let us in for free and we got to sit in the front row behind the dugout (Tues afternoon and about 3K attendance). I was really impressed with Comerica as well...they somehow managed to capture the sliver of Detroit skyline that doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Camden, Coors, Petco, Citizens, and Progressive are all great. Dodger Stadium was beautiful except for the ridiculously tiny bathrooms. I haven't been to Kauffman in years but I remember it being pretty good.

Angel Stadium gets special props for having the best eye candy, I think I strained my neck from tracking so many hotties.

Miller and Chase I believe are pretty much replicas, solid but nothing special.

My least favorite is easily the Cell; don't get bad seats if you're afraid of heights. The Marlins' old park was awful as well (haven't been to the new one). Oakland wasn't that great either, nor was Tropicana.

If I had to rank them, I'd go:

1. Fenway
                    2. Wrigley
                    3. PNC
                    4. Camden
                    5. Comerica
                    Figure out a way to get out to SF and I'll take you to AT&T, you'll like my seats and have a new #1 stadium
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Yay for the Dodger Stadium love! It's obviously my favorite as well and they keep making improvements - DMT, they renovated the bathrooms last year so most of the troughs are gone. They're planning on putting some restaurants above the bullpens in the next year or two which will be a nice touch and finally allow fans to access the whole park. They jacked the prices up a bit this year, but the prices are still pretty reasonable (especially if you're not coming on a bobblehead night).

I haven't been to that many so I might as well list them all:
                      Wrigley - accidentally got an "obstructed view" seat, stadium was okay but Wrigleyville was fun
                      Coors - nice stadium, friendly atmosphere
                      AT&T - I'll admit that it's a pretty nice park, but not as special as some claim
                      Safeco - really liked the look of this one
                      Minute Maid - first time in a domed stadium and it tripped me out, especially since the stadium was fairly empty so there was a lot of echo
                      Oakland - similar in setup to Dodger Stadium, very laid back atmosphere, not bad
                      Kauffman - nice setup, ballpark felt small, I dug it
                      Angels - parking was easy, seats were cheap, nice little park

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        Figure out a way to get out to SF and I'll take you to AT&T, you'll like my seats and have a new #1 stadium
                        Cool, I'll work on it.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I have not been to Dodger Stadium, but I don't think anything could beat Wrigley and Fenway for me. The history and the ambiance of it makes it impossible for them to be beat. (And yes, my view was behind a beam at Fenway.)

Comment

yeah, I like Dodger Stadium a lot - so cool to walk into the park at the TOP of the stadium!

great scene and all that, but does not match Wrigley or Fenway imo

I hope I have not let my 3-full-inning wait for a Dodger Dog with 4 people ahead of me on the concession line affect my analysis...
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                            X