Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Mike Napoli

excellent point raised in Newberg Report today:

With Treanor traded, Napoli is the backup catcher. Teams rarely let their backup catcher DH so whatever ABs you're projecting for Napoli at DH are going to be slim because a team would lose the DH spot in the lineup if they moved Napoli from DH to C in a game.

Thus, a huge amount of his AB's are going to be platooning at 1B and C with Moreland and Torrealba with very few DH opportunities, if any.

I don't see this being much different than when Napoli was with the Angels. Torrealba has already had back issues in spring. I think if you were banking on 500+ ab's you would have been disappointed anyhow. Unless there is an injury somewhere or Moreland can't hit enough to stay up all year Napoli is going to get around 400 ab's again.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

With Treanor traded, Napoli is the backup catcher. Teams rarely let their backup catcher DH so whatever ABs you're projecting for Napoli at DH are going to be slim because a team would lose the DH spot in the lineup if they moved Napoli from DH to C in a game.

Thus, a huge amount of his AB's are going to be platooning at 1B and C with Moreland and Torrealba with very few DH opportunities, if any.
      Didn't know this rule. Can he go from catcher to DH in the same game? Are we saying that to replace a DH the DH must come out of the game and a bench player go in? No double switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Didn't know this rule. Can he go from catcher to DH in the same game? Are we saying that to replace a DH the DH must come out of the game and a bench player go in? No double switch?
        You can pinch hit for a DH but if the DH switches to a fielding position the pitcher must take his place in the batting order. I'm not sure if a player already in the game can DH, but I suspect that is ok provided the previous DH leaves the game and the new player takes the position of the new DH.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

What is the reason for a rule like this?

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            What is the reason for a rule like this?
            It was set up that way back in the 1970s, when they first did the DH. About once or twice a year, a pitcher will bat in the AL. If you watch college ball, they will often make the point that the rules are different.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              You can pinch hit for a DH but if the DH switches to a fielding position the pitcher must take his place in the batting order. I'm not sure if a player already in the game can DH, but I suspect that is ok provided the previous DH leaves the game and the new player takes the position of the new DH.
              I don't think you can switch a player to DH, even if you take the current DH out of the game. Not 100% sure though. I honestly don't think I've ever seen it come up.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                I don't think you can switch a player to DH, even if you take the current DH out of the game. Not 100% sure though. I honestly don't think I've ever seen it come up.
                That is correct. Once a teams DH takes a spot in the field, the team loses the DH and the pitcher now has to hit. Conversely, if a player takes the field, he cannot be moved to the DH spot. The only way to replace a DH is to pinch hit for him.
                "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

How much does this affect his value? Seems like he will still be the everyday catcher. Would you rank Ianetta ahead of him?

Comment

Originally posted by Spec R View Post
                    How much does this affect his value? Seems like he will still be the everyday catcher. Would you rank Ianetta ahead of him?
                    It's going to cost him 25 at bats or so, at a minimum. I'd still take him over Iannetta though

Comment

Originally posted by Spec R View Post
                      If you're referring to Napoli, he won't be the regular catcher, he's the back-up to Yorvit Torrealba. And he'll probably get somewhere around 350-400AB's at this point. I'd probably still rank Napoli in front of Ianettta, but not by that much anymore. And if it's an OBP league...maybe not at all.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Uh, National League teams find their way around this all the time with a strategy called pinch-hitting. Mountains out of molehills here.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

according to Yahoo:
                          When Napoli and DH/IF Mike Young are both in the lineup against lefties, as will be the case on opening day, Napoli is more likely to play first with Young at DH to protect the integrity of the lineup in case Torrealba gets a mid-game injury.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Just 8 ABs for Napoli so far.

Comment

Does Hamilton's injury hurt or help Napoli for ABs? Is Moreland any good in the OF? Or will the call up of Davis cut into his PT at 1B......

Comment

Working...
                              X