Braun for Polanco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braun for Polanco

That was just offered to me. It seems like a no-brainer except for the fact that I currently sit in 8th place and my team has shown very little life. Polanco is $1 and it seems like he'll be getting called up soon. Braun, meanwhile, is playing great but is he just one awkward check-swing away from a month-long DL stint? Just to be clear, I have Polanco.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Keeper league? That's tougher, since he'll be up in the next few weeks. Good offer, not sure what I'd do. Can you contend this year?

Comment

If you think you can win this year, you have to do it. If you think your team will only continue to languish, don't even. Tough call, I know.

Comment

I have Miggy, Holliday, Marte, Kipnis, Strasburg, Homer...a who's who of cold starters. If his call-up wasn't so imminent I'd be all over this. He also has Bruce and he'd include an MI (Bogarts, E Cabrera, Lowrie or Profar). My MI spot has been a disaster, currently filled by Infante and I was going to try to snag Scooter next week since Brewers are facing only 1 LHP.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

The categories are all still tight enough for me to make up a lot of ground quickly, but only if these bums start playing like they're supposed to!
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

FFF. Traded a free Polanco for Kershaw a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Pirates talking tough about how they like a player to do a full year in AAA, Alvarez came up too soon while they were patient with Walker, Cole, etc, blah blah blah. not sure if it's 100 pct lie, but they might be a little slower on the trigger finger this year than we'd all like to assume (I wish he was up yesterday!)
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Pirates talking tough about how they like a player to do a full year in AAA, Alvarez came up too soon while they were patient with Walker, Cole, etc, blah blah blah. not sure if it's 100 pct lie, but they might be a little slower on the trigger finger this year than we'd all like to assume (I wish he was up yesterday!)
                I'm going to assume that with Polanco still hitting over .400, Marte leading the universe in strikeouts, and the team now 5 game below .500, that their tough talk will fade soon. They'll still probably keep him down for the Super 2, but they really don't need to other than for financial reasons. I understand that they've passed the deadline for controlling his contract for that extra season...could be wrong, but I think I read that here.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

I forgot to mention I also have Goldschmidt and Beltre, so my offense is pretty stacked despite their poor showing thus far. I also have Taveras at $1 so I think I'm going to make a deal.

Would anyone take Bruce (32A) over Braun (44A) at this point? Braun is clearly higher risk/reward and also has a higher salary (we have a cap). But the thumb hasn't seemed to adversely affect him at all thus far. He is only 2/4 in SBs while Bruce is 4/4 but does anyone think he's going to end up with more SBs by the end of the year?

As for the MIs, I'm thinking either Everth (22A) or Jed (1X). Everth is tempting, but he would put me very close to the cap if paired with Braun, his K:BB ratio is an ugly 2:24, and he's only 2/5 in SBs. Jed has been lights out with an OBA of .439 . He's obviously not going keep up that pace, but he has improved his OBA the past 3 years. But his spotty injury history is cause for concern.

So, my options are:

1) Braun + Cabrera and deal with limited cap space henceforth.
                  2) Braun + Lowrie and pray for good health.
                  3) Bruce + Cabrera and more flexibility with less health risk

or another better option that I'm not seeing. He's a Red Sox fan so I don't think Bogaerts (5B) is likely an option. Thanks for the input fellas.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Is your league the type where it gets split into dumpers and contenders near the deadline? If so I'd try to allow for some cap flexibility and take Braun/Lowrie, but if this is your big splash you might as well go with Braun/Cabrera.

Comment

I think Polanco is going to be a fairly good rookie. His contact isnt going to be awful and he's fast enough to get some infield hits that will boost his avg. In my 14 team keeper I expect he will help me a lot.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        Is your league the type where it gets split into dumpers and contenders near the deadline? If so I'd try to allow for some cap flexibility and take Braun/Lowrie, but if this is your big splash you might as well go with Braun/Cabrera.
                        I agree with this as far as if this is your "big splash" trade..but i would take Bruce instead of Braun for the risk factor.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Braun and Lowerie is a no brainer to me.

Gotta have cap space. Gotta make up some ground. Heck, Braun could be a keeper at 44 or a trade piece down the road. Bruce doesn't have the name to get you as much if you need to trade him.

There are good rookies every year. Pull the trigger!

Comment

With Braun's status uncertain, I made the deal, Polanco and Castellanos for Bruce & Cabrera. I need steals and the fact his manager finally acknowledged why he hasn't been running tells me he's probably close to full strength (fingers crossed).
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                            X