Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivan Nova - partial tear in his UCL

just reported by Andy Martino of the Daily News

I'm dropping him, even though I could keep him through 2016 at a buck. I can't stand the dead weight on my roster for the rest of this year and, most likely, 2015.

Comment

Tommy John welcomes Ivan Nova into his (not so) exclusive club.

Comment

Vidal Nuno has an equally cool name

Comment

Crap...so far in my AL only I've lost Nova and Matt Moore to TJ surgery, Paxton to a lat (who knows when he'll come back), and Nate Jones to a strained ass. I'm beginning to think it's not going to be my year...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

On Mike & Mike this morning, Jason Stark noted that Nova's will be the 16th Tommy John surgery performed this season. He noted that from 2000 - 2011, MLB averaged 15 TJ surgeries per season. He mentioned that, because of the reduced recovery time (pitchers expect to return as good or better than they were within 12 months) as soon as a pitcher has any elbow issues, they are "pressured" to have the surgery sooner rather than later (i.e. going the rest and rehab route), ala Matt Harvey late last season. He's not saying that is the only factor...but he is saying it is one factor as to why we are seeing the increased number of surgeries (not the reason for the injuries...just for the surgeries).
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
              On Mike & Mike this morning, Jason Stark noted that Nova's will be the 16th Tommy John surgery performed this season. He noted that from 2000 - 2011, MLB averaged 15 TJ surgeries per season. He mentioned that, because of the reduced recovery time (pitchers expect to return as good or better than they were within 12 months) as soon as a pitcher has any elbow issues, they are "pressured" to have the surgery sooner rather than later (i.e. going the rest and rehab route), ala Matt Harvey late last season. He's not saying that is the only factor...but he is saying it is one factor as to why we are seeing the increased number of surgeries (not the reason for the injuries...just for the surgeries).
              I wonder if insurance has anything to do with it. KS may know more about this than any of us, but I think many star players have their contracts insured against injury. If a pitcher undergoes TJ surgery a large percentage will be covered, but if he just rehabs the team is on the hook.

Comment

Working...
              X