Relievers with SP potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relievers with SP potential

I see more teams giving young pitchers 1-2 years in the bullpen to hone their craft before being given a big league rotation spot. Drew Smyly, Tanner Scheppers, Kevin Gausman, and Hector Santiago are some of the most recent examples of this development strategy.

So who are the most likely current middle relievers to see an attempt at an SP conversion?

My personal faves:

Brandon Workman - Put up solid numbers in the pen in 2013. If he can take those numbers to the next level, I bet he gets a shot in the rotation before the end of the year.

Drew Pomeranz - Fresh start going from one of the worst parks to pitch in to one of the best. Really dominated in spring training, and could similarly get a shot at the rotation if he performs in the pen.

Brandon Maurer? I'm not too familiar with his upside, but he pitches in a good park.

Brad Peacock? - Not sure if he's in the Astros plans to start again. Jason Collette was counted among his believers, as I thought he had figured things out towards the end of last season... Seems way more valuable in the rotation, but too many moving pieces in Houston to have confidence. Stock is at an all-time low, so there are surely worse $1 stashes.

Adam Warren? - Yankee rotation would need to implode for him to get a chance, but it could happen. Not sure he'd impress enough to keep a rotation spot long term though.

Any others I'm missing in the AL? Who are the NL guys that fit this mold?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

What about Josh Outman?

In the NL

Carlos Martinez StL (he should be starting already over Joe Kelly)
    Alex Torres SD
    Kevin Slowey Miami
    Jeurys Familia NYM
    Stolmy Pimentel PIT
    Ross Detwiler WAS
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

workman is being sent down to AAA to be stretched out.
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

In my AL only league I own both Workman and Pomeranz (each at $1) Workman pitched well and got sent down to get stretched out. Given the way Doubront has pitched I can easily see Workman back up in the 5th spot within a few starts. Although the Sox have a wealth of pitching prospects I think they prefer to let them develop a bit more. I can see both Webster and Renaudo up in the second half. (Webster threw a gem tonight)
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

The Yankees have like 8 starters in their bullpen. Guessing which one would get the call is like throwing darts. (Warren, Phelps, Nuno)

The Pirates lost Taillon to TJ so they could also end up with anyone. Pimintel is on the list, as is Jeff Locke (when healthy), and even Mazzaro and Gomez.

Comment

Couple of more guys to keep an eye on is Brad Hand Mia. He is getting a start and was a former prospect. Marlins started him in the bullpen. Another one is Thornburg Mil. Leagues with deep reserves these type of players are good gambles to stash.

Comment

Working...
            X