NL-Only dumpster diving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-Only dumpster diving

Our league's doing its first round of transactions on Monday and I need a replacement for the injured Furcal. Don't necessarily need any specific categories although cheap steals are always nice. Any reason for optimism with any of these guys?

Alexi Amarista
    Charlie Culberson
    Ehire Adrianza
    Cliff Pennington
    John Mayberry Jr.

none whatsoever
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      none whatsoever
      Well, I think I can find a tiny bit of optimism.

Adrianza is out of options and behind and old, injury-prone player and a young guy with no bat. Mediocrity from him will grant him lots of ABs.

Mayberry is going to play against most lefties, which means that after a month or two of pretty nice numbers, he'll get traded and maybe get more time somewhere else.

Culberson plays in Colorado and if you are going to take lousy hitters with dubious playing time, it's good to get ones that play in hitter's parks.

That's all the optimism I can muster.

Comment

Mayberry.

Funny, I considered Mayberry vs Culberson as the last hitter taken in a recent auction, and went with Mayberry because it didn't look like Culberson would get that much PT or would do that much with whatever playing time he got (even in Coors)

Comment

Ugh, that's deep. I'd go with Mayberry also.

Comment

Culberson or Amarista for me. Multi position eligibility has value.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              Culberson or Amarista for me. Multi position eligibility has value.
              This was my thought as well, padres like to run and amarista will get the most PT of the players listed I think. Ehire is only up because of Scutaro's DL
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Culberson--If he hits, he plays, otherwise he sits an doesn't hurt you.

Amarista's versatility sounds good until you realize that he'll play a lot and do nothing to help you and maybe hurt you.

Mayberry goes through stretches where he seems to "get it", then he goes back to being himself. You have to hope the Phils' other OFs stay healthy and that Mayberry only plays vs. lefties.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

I spent 5 on Furcal and 1 on Culberson, took Arias for Furcal

would prefer MAYBERRY to all 3
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I have to put my claims in today and unfortunately I was in 1st place after the first couple days of the season so I get last dibs on any claims. I doubt Mayberry will be available and Amarista's homer yesterday will probably catch someone's eye - Culberson might be my best shot which would be fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      I have to put my claims in today and unfortunately I was in 1st place after the first couple days of the season so I get last dibs on any claims. I doubt Mayberry will be available and Amarista's homer yesterday will probably catch someone's eye - Culberson might be my best shot which would be fine with me.
                      I found this amusing

Sorry..nothing to add on the aforementioned bums.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                      X