Last Minute Auction Prep--Pick a Player from Each Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute Auction Prep--Pick a Player from Each Group

I thought the crowd source picking from another thread was a fun idea, so I figured I'd ask the pen for something similar for my auction at 3:30 today. Below are groups of players for positions of need for me going into the auction. Please pick your preferences, based on likely salary and projected performance/value in a 16 team mixed league:

2b--Cano, Pedroia, Zobrist, Kinsler, Prado, Hill, Kendrick, Walker, Johnson

3b--Cabrera, Beltre, Wright, Sandoval, Zimmerman, Middlebrooks, Ramirez

LF--Gonzalez, Holliday, Gordon, Willingham, Crawford, Brantley (LF thins out quick in this year's auction)

SP--(I'm not in a position to spend on the top tier SPs this year, so targeting lower tier guys)--Kazmir, Quintana Porcello, Smyly, Griffin, Josh Johnson, Eovaldi, Nolasco, Ramirez, Leake, Hughes, Scheppers

I have a fair bit of money to spend--a little more than half of my cap, but it is still not enough to get the top guy at each of these positions, so where should I go for the gold, and where should I settle for lower end value?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM.

2b--Cano, Pedroia, Zobrist, Kinsler, Prado, Hill, Kendrick, Walker, Johnson I think I go Kendrick and his good AVG here.

3b--Cabrera, Beltre, Wright, Sandoval, Zimmerman, Middlebrooks, Ramirez Go with Mr. Consistency

LF--Gonzalez, Holliday, Gordon, Willingham, Crawford, Brantley (LF thins out quick in this year's auction) I splurge on CarGo, though I also like Gordon and Brantley as budget speed/power options.

SP--Kazmir, Quintana Porcello, Smyly, Griffin, Josh Johnson, Eovaldi, Nolasco, Ramire, Leake, Hughes, Scheppers I love Ersamo here. Kazmir as a budget option, and Porcello/Smyly/Hughes/Scheppers were also targets of mine.

Have fun!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Thanks Virgonomic. I was leaning to making Cargo my main big ticket target as well, because of the relative thinness of LF. I do worry about his injury history, but the talent is tantalizing.

Comment

2b--Cano, Pedroia, Zobrist, Kinsler, Prado, Hill, Kendrick, Walker, Johnson--Hill is my back up/cheaper selection here. I'd stay away from Cano (cost too high for the risk of the move to Seattle) and Johnson

3b--Cabrera, Beltre, Wright, Sandoval, Zimmerman, Middlebrooks, Ramirez--I can't choose!! It really depends on money...but not Middlebrooks. I have Ramirez not much lower than Zimmerman

LF--Gonzalez, Holliday, Gordon, Willingham, Crawford, Brantley (LF thins out quick in this year's auction)--I'm also spending on CarGo like Virgo, but if you get Cabrera at 3B and don't have the cash, Gordon or even Brantley are favorites in the list for a cheaper option

SP--(I'm not in a position to spend on the top tier SPs this year, so targeting lower tier guys)--Kazmir, Quintana Porcello, Smyly, Griffin, Josh Johnson, Eovaldi, Nolasco, Ramirez, Leake, Hughes, Scheppers--Smyly is my favorite of this group by a ton. Griffin is about the only other one I'd consider, but I'd take a flyer on Scheppers. I guess I don't like a lot of these guys as much as others.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Well, that didn't go as planned. I ended up with Wright at 3b...not who I wanted, but I got him at a decent price. Got Holliday at LF. Again, not who I really wanted, but another fair price. I didn't end up with any of the lower end pitchers I listed, because I got caught price enforcing on Lincecum. Still, Lincecum ended up being cheaper than Smyly, Porcello, and Kazmir, so I can't complain.

So, not too bad so far. But then there is 2b. The prices the 2bmen went for were way higher than I anticipated. I ended up with Kelly Johnson. In desperation, I also snagged Gordan Beckham and Nick Franklin, clogging roster spots I could have used for other, more legit sleeper talent. I don't think I've ever been weaker at 2b in this league. It helps that I had Dustin Pedroia for the last 7 years, but even before that, MIFers are my thing. I love being strong up the middle. I guess the rest of the league had the same idea this year.

So, how bad off am I? Is Kelly Johnson serviceable? Or should I trade for a 2bman as soon as I can?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Well, that didn't go as planned. I ended up with Wright at 3b...not who I wanted, but I got him at a decent price. Got Holliday at LF. Again, not who I really wanted, but another fair price. I didn't end up with any of the lower end pitchers I listed, because I got caught price enforcing on Lincecum. Still, Lincecum ended up being cheaper than Smyly, Porcello, and Kazmir, so I can't complain.

So, not too bad so far. But then there is 2b. The prices the 2bmen went for were way higher than I anticipated. I ended up with Kelly Johnson. In desperation, I also snagged Gordan Beckham and Nick Franklin, clogging roster spots I could have used for other, more legit sleeper talent. I don't think I've ever been weaker at 2b in this league. It helps that I had Dustin Pedroia for the last half decade, but even before that, MIFers are my thing. I love being strong up the middle. I guess the rest of the league had the same idea this year.

So, how bad off am I? Is Kelly Johnson serviceable? Or should I trade for a 2bman as soon as I can?
            Beckham's on the DL, Franklin's in Tacoma, so they're not options right now. I'd look into picking up another option for WHEN Johnson's possible hot start cools. I see him being this year's Yankee Hot Starter, like Overbay and Wells were last year, and with an equally abrupt stop. Keep an eye on Beckham's progress, though; if he comes back fairly soon, have him in reserve for Johnson's return to the Ice Age.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X