A little bit inflation? NL 12TO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

I was just reacting (overreacting) to what at first glance appeared to be the kind of post we all see from time to time which equate high prices for some players with inflation. Or say something like "speed was really inflated". It's a pet peeve, unfortunately. And it was 4:30 in the morning.

I should have phrased my post differently, or better yet, not said anything at all. Again, sorry.
    Easy there Judge Lucky. I rather enjoyed your post. You did it with respect. This is a baseball site, inflation plays a huge part in many leagues. If anyone wants to talk about it so be it. Thanks for the post.

Comment

As the newbie in the league, I was gobsmacked by the early prices, once I got my feet under me, I adjusted, but it was too late to really make any buys on the stud hitters. I was the lucky one who got Kershaw and Jansen for a combined 74 dollars...a bargain I tells ya!

I was also the one who bought Kemp at 39...and I believe that he'll be a bargain, and a keeper, at that price. The ankle surgery was a blessing in disguise, allowing the shoulder to heal up fully and for him to rebuild the strength needed. Now, I doubt that he'll ever return to the 30 steal days, but he certainly can hit double digits.

In retrospect, I would have kept going Cargo and Braun, so I wouldn't have had 17 dollars to spend on Stubbs...sigh. Anyone remember who kept bidding me up on that one?
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

more to come later, but today in NL 12-team 5x5 keeper

Braun 48
        McCutchen 48
        Stanton 41
        Trumbo 40 (!)
        JUpton 38
        AdGonz 37
        (Kemp 26)

Bumgarner 37
        Strasburg 36
        CLee 32
        Jansen 32
        (Hamels 25)
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Horns I liked your 1st go around in this very tough auction, except for $17 Stubbs, and making Mark Reynolds your primary 1b at any cost. You were behind the 8 ball so to speak to start. Realistically you will have nice pieces to offer if you go rebuild during year, or you can do as a few teams in league do and never rebuild, heck never trade, 1 step further never answer emails regarding trade, and end up in middle pack year after year. I think you would have been better off with that Stubbs and M Reynolds combined money and just land a solid vet boring non radioactive ba hitter type to flip later for chips.

No I dont remember who was bidding you up on Stubbs, but I did bid bid a few players up and got caught once with Dan Haren, which is fine, he should turn it around in that park.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
            Horns I liked your 1st go around in this very tough auction, except for $17 Stubbs, and making Mark Reynolds your primary 1b at any cost. You were behind the 8 ball so to speak to start. Realistically you will have nice pieces to offer if you go rebuild during year, or you can do as a few teams in league do and never rebuild, heck never trade, 1 step further never answer emails regarding trade, and end up in middle pack year after year. I think you would have been better off with that Stubbs and M Reynolds combined money and just land a solid vet boring non radioactive ba hitter type to flip later for chips.

No I dont remember who was bidding you up on Stubbs, but I did bid bid a few players up and got caught once with Dan Haren, which is fine, he should turn it around in that park.
            Oh, I harbor no illusions of competing this year, I didn't have enough ammo going into the auction and I didn't do myself any favors there either. So yes, It's a rebuild year for me, and I'll ask for the usual, cheap keepers and minor leaguers. The good thing is that I'm reasonable (I think), I'm not out to win deals, I actually want both parties to come away happy with what they got. I see no reason to poison future deals by screwing someone over and then smack talking about it. That's not to say if someone offers me a deal that might be tilted in my favor, that I won't jump on it, I'm no saint. But I do return all emails pretty promptly, and all I ask is a dialogue...counter me if you don't like what I'm asking, you may be surprised.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Well holy hell 2 teams have gone rebuild. As always I went aggressive after the teams, gave up some cheap players, farm chips, and landed some talent. If a team announces possible rebuild early I dont get why many in league dont make a play, moves now are worth so much more than moves in a month or 2.

Franco landed some awesome talent, and was already the front runner in my eyes (never mind rotolab voodoo saying otherwise), but I am happy with my little deals.

I held onto my precious Kris Bryant farmhand but opened up vault otherwise, in 2 deals sending away minor league chips Phil Ervin, Jorge Soler, Syndergaard, as well as P Carlos Martinez $5. In return I landed Aramis Ramirez $30, Gio Gonzalez $33, Nate Schierholtz $11, Daniel Murphy $6 (dead contract). My team has started off year slow, but that means nothing to me at this point. I am pumped and looking forward to some future fireworks.

As a fun fact, we do have salary cap, $320 active pre break, $360 post. I am at $319, so effectively capped out here in early april.

Stomp!
              C *E Gattis $4
              CI R Zimmerman $38, 3b *J Gyorko $5, 1b G Jones $16
              MI *Han Ram $28, 2b Phillips $26, SS Rollins $20
              OF/UT Prado $31, , Aramis Ramirez $30, Daniel Murphy $6, Nate Schierholtz $11, *Denorfia $3, Tabata $7, T Gwynn $5
              SP Gio Gonzalez $33, *Wacha $5, *T Wood $2, Dan Haren $18, B Arroyo $8, E Volquez $1
              RP Veras $15, AJ Ramos $5, Franc Rodriguez $2
              dl *W Ramos $8, *M Minor $10

Comment

You may have dodged a bullet with Zimmerman's injury not being too serious ... For now.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Ryan Zimmerman $38 is a point of stress for me. I am hoping they used the good duct tape on him, not that dollar store stuff.

Comment

Yeah I paid a hell of a steep price to make a run this year, adding Kershaw-40 and Kenley Jansen-34 plus Jhonny Peralta and a couple of no-name prospects, and giving up 2 farm studs in Polanco and Bradley plus a $4 Alex Wood. Kershaw better come back in Cy Young form and Jansen better get over his early season yips. I didn't want to pay the price but having these guys for 150 games made it worth it. I still have some cheap guys so my team won't be barren for 2015, but I am mostly capped out until July so this is what I'll be rolling with for a while.

C Martin 9
                    CI Rizzo 5, Frazier 5, AGonz 41
                    MI Owings 1, Wong 5, Peralta 16
                    OF Stanton 15, Granderson 31, Werth 33, Crawford 19, Ethier 14
                    UT Ishikawa 1, Jay 6 (Eric Chavez 3, Rutledge 4, G Blanco 2)

SP Kershaw 40, Cain 33, Wheeler 5, Eovaldi 5, Kennedy 14, Mejia 1
                    RP Jansen 34, Rosenthal 7, Watson 1, Stauffer 3, Belisle 1

Comment

freakin kidding me with that p staff jc, awesome quality and depth. love the 2 farm guys you gave up, rhd has them listed as flat out studs in his rankings. but cmon, you added the best sp and the best closer in the game.

Comment

I love that team, JC. Cain is the only one that concerns me, as his poor first half last season combined with his lackluster spring and start to the season might cause you some ERA/WHIP problems in the short term.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Yeah I was/am discussing deals with both teams but screw you guys for driving up the prices for these players

Seriously though, always like to see teams go for it and I hope your deals work out better than my early one last year for Braun & Hamels.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                            I love that team, JC. Cain is the only one that concerns me, as his poor first half last season combined with his lackluster spring and start to the season might cause you some ERA/WHIP problems in the short term.
                            yes, I see this as a gutsy move because while you now have this amped-up roster early, I'm not as certain of the SPs. It looks good, of course, but you have more skin in the game now so it better be. it has the look of a title-winning roster, so don't sweat too much.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I hate, hate, hate, dumping this early, but I knew that there was no chance to compete after taking over this wreck of a franchise. Since I took it over, I've totally gutted my horrible minor league system and added Javy Baez, Kyle Parker, Matt Wisler, Corey Seager, Austin Meadows, Jorge Soler, Phil Ervin, Gregory Polanco, and Archie Bradley. In the majors, added Alex Wood, a 7 buck Cameron Maybin and a keepable Matt Kemp at 39. So I think that I'll be OK in a few years if all the guys pan out. And I'll keep trolling the WW hoping to find a lottery ticket...I've got Alex Guerrero for a buck, Chris Withrow for 3, and Thornburg for 5, who I think forces his way into the rotation before the season is over.

All in all, dumping early does pay off, even if it hurts like hell to do so...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

If it takes so long to rebuild, why not revamp the rules?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X