Crowd-sourcing exercise: help me draft my team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    last year I paid 28 for Phillips and 24 for Headley as well as 25 for Prado. problem is, it's hard to get to 260 that way, and the idea is to maximize quality, not profit. I wound up dealing a 2nd-round farm pick late for the right to get Heisey at 13 (we allow in-auction dealing, and do about 1 a year). It was the alternative to getting a worse OF and leaving 10-12 units on the table. of course, Heisey was as bad as the bum I'd have been stuck with, alas.
    Why can't you get to $260 with 10 twenty somethings?

Comment

"Wow, that's a bizarre league if you can get Trumbo or Dominic Brown for less than 20 and Dee Gordon is worth keeping at $10."

Again, apologies for the tier titles. apples and oranges.

"Why can't you get to $260 with 10 twenty somethings?"

It's quite difficult, I've found. Have you succeeded with that approach?

anyway, TONS of god advice here, helps me and presumably helps others as well....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        "Wow, that's a bizarre league if you can get Trumbo or Dominic Brown for less than 20 and Dee Gordon is worth keeping at $10."

Again, apologies for the tier titles. apples and oranges.

"Why can't you get to $260 with 10 twenty somethings?"

It's quite difficult, I've found. Have you succeeded with that approach?

anyway, TONS of god advice here, helps me and presumably helps others as well....
        FWIW, I've never had a problem with running out of money, lol. I have accidentally left money on the table, but it is never the plan. I think the key is to always know what is left, then just get the guys you want when players are running out even if you are paying more than you wanted to pay. Don't get me wrong, if there aren't enough 20-somethings you like at the right positions to get to 260, adjust and get some more expensive guys.

Comment

Yes, managing my money vs what's left was a breeze for me for the first 25 years. It's just that the added inflation from farm picks being only 5 units makes it tougher to avoid, well, feeling as if you're in danger of leaving 10-13 bucks on the table. Not an extreme issue, but....

I'd say that the extra inflation has wiped out the shot that even a "high end" buy might be a keeper, which always was a hope for decades. I mean, it's now possible that Votto will never be frozen again. Worth paying a 35 pct inflated price, in some respects, but he can't ever be good enough to be worth keeping!

Same could be true for McCutchen, actually. last year's winner paid 47, he won MVP and the owner won his trophy, and out he goes.

My keeper list below is weak, so I'll take some chances tomorrow. We should be about 24 hours away from another "Anatomy." Or will it be "Autopsy."

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
          X