Can I win with this pitching? AL only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I win with this pitching? AL only

Can you dominate pitching in an Al only 11 team league with this roster in 11 team 5X5 with about 20 percent inflation? Any pitcher you would not keep?

AJ Griffin - 2
    Anibal Sanchez - 11
    Ivan Nova -4
    Wei Chen - 1
    Scheppers - 5
    Yordano Ventura - 1
    Cotts - 3
    Jim Johnson - 17
    Tommy Hunter - 10

No, you will not dominate pitching with this staff. You have some nice players with some nice salaries. I don't see it collectively as finishing more than mid to upper mid pack.

Comment

yeah, that's a lot of unproven guys who all have to hit the top end of their projections. It's certainly a very good $54 pitching staff, and it'd give you a lot of room to have excellent hitting, but you're not going to dominate with that without a lot of luck, and as much as I like Griffin and Scheppers and Ventura and Nova, I'd rather have a $75 pitching staff and replace one of those guys with James Shields or someone like that. I wouldn't cut any of those, but I'd certainly be looking to move one or two.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd let Cotts go. You can find a similar MR for a buck. I'd really consider letting Scheppers go too. I'm not at all convinced he is a starter, let alone one worth 5 bucks.

Comment

Prices are nice but I agree with the rest of the board here. Griffin is out until late April and he is risky as to how healthy he'll be the rest of the season. Sanchez is likely to regress and is also an injury risk. Just took a cortisone shot but he should start the season in the rotation. Nova could be a nice buy and Ventura too but he is a so rookie expect ups and downs. Hunter is no guarantee that he'll survive as a closer and same with Johnson although he has done it before with the same skills. Just remember the A's are deep with relievers 2,3 and 4 who could all close and have better skills. I agree with JC on Cotts that you should be able to replace him although I would give Scheppers a chance to see what he can do but there is alot of we-don't-know-yet like his stamina and how he will do after the first time through the line-up. Since you only spent $54 I'm assuming you have a really good offense so a trade here and there and FA signings will likely be needed.

Comment

I should not have used the word "dominate," I was trying to convey finishing with about 7 points in each category.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              I should not have used the word "dominate," I was trying to convey finishing with about 7 points in each category.
              In an 11 team that would be upper mid. I stated that I thought you could get from mid to upper mid pack. So yes I think it is possible to get to 30-35 points in pitching.

You will need to stay healthy and need Ventura to be very good.

Good luck.

Comment

How active is the league? If it is I would have no problem keeping 8 (I too would drop Cotts) and then loading up on bats. Then trade a bat and a cheap arm for an anchor for your staff.
                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Stop the presses!! I thought this was your pitching staff after your auction. I would never go into an auction with all of my pitching slots full (assumes 9). Get rid of Cotts and keep a slot open for the good bargain or quality pitcher that insures you get to those 35 points.

Comment

Working...
                  X