another HDID - 10-team NL 5x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another HDID - 10-team NL 5x5

This is a league with umjewman and Moonlight J. I did this auction at 7am from my parked car with minimal internet access and no access to the web conference that showed who had been bought and for how much and how much money everyone had left, and after trying that I can tell you that it's a horrible idea but my daughter seemed to appreciate being on vacation for the weekend so maybe it was worth it but probably not.

Fortunately I had a very good keeper list and that may have made up for not getting any of the top-line hitting talent that was available, but my pitching is quite good and really only my middle infield is a total train wreck and that's solvable, I hope.

Keepers have (K). Owings was kept as a minor leaguer but will be active day 1.

C: Molina $25 (K), Ramos $8 (K)
    1B: Goldschmidt $20 (K)
    2B: Gennett $3
    SS: Hechevarria $3
    3B: Carpenter $15 (K)
    CI: Freeman $16 (K)
    MI: Guerrero $4
    OF: Gomez $15 (K), Lake $5 (K), Cuddyer $29, Parra $11, Quentin $8
    UT: Ruggiano $8

bench: Owings (will replace Guerrero), Logan Schafer, Mark Ellis, Satin, Bobby Abreu
    minors: Austin Meadows, Zach Walters, WFlores (K), AAlcantara (K), Owings (K)

P: AJ Burnett $2 (K), Cishek $5 (K), Grilli $5 (K), Harvey $10 (K), Ryu $9 (K), Lee $36, Fister $17, Wandy $5, Niese $4

bench: Vic Black, Roark (will replace Harvey), Collmenter, Paco Rodriguez
    minors: Heaney (K), Cooney, Alex Reyes, Shipley
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Pretty solid team, IMO - very strong pitching, and decent hitting, even with an ugly MI situation. I'm aware Niese comes with a fair load of risk, but I love him at $4. If his arm doesn't blow out, you have a great keeper for next year. The pitching bench is light, but with your skills, I know you'll upgrade that within the first month.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Pretty solid team, IMO - very strong pitching, and decent hitting, even with an ugly MI situation. I'm aware Niese comes with a fair load of risk, but I love him at $4. If his arm doesn't blow out, you have a great keeper for next year. The pitching bench is light, but with your skills, I know you'll upgrade that within the first month.
      Yeah, he's already looking at me for a starting pitcher!

Personally, I didn't like your Fister buy at $17 or your Lee buy at $36, particularly seeing that Kershaw went $41 and, outside of Lee, I think the next most expensive starter was only $24. Also, I think there were better options than Fister at $17. Hindsight is 20/20, but I believe Ian Kennedy went $8 and I know I bought Ervin Santana for $11. Still, coupled with Niese to have Fister and Niese for an average of $10.50 each is pretty solid. Plus, you had the best keeper list. I guess if it were me, I would have rather had the two starting pitchers I bought (Latos at $21 and Ervin at $11) and then have another $21 to throw at a MI bat or to add it to Cuddyer and have brought in McCutchen or something like that. But, again, you don't know the prices going in, so it's easy to sit back and say that now.

Either way, your team looks like the one to beat based on the rest of the rosters. At least, in my opinion. Moonlight J is still under the delusion that his team is good

Comment

yeah, I had Lee as decidedly the second best pitcher and I am bad about spending my money on big-ticket players so I decided I was definitely going to get Kershaw or Lee and a big bat. Then I kind of failed on the big bat plan and decided I was damn well going to get Lee. If I'd realized I was going to have to go that high, I would have taken Kershaw of course.

I like Fister a lot largely based on projected win total. We'll see if that works out. I bought big on WAS pitchers last year too and didn't get much out of it.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
        X