Pitbull's First Pony League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitbull's First Pony League Draft

15 teams standard 5x5 mix league. I came in as an expansion team. During the expansion draft I was allowed to take 1 player per team either active or farm. Each team protected 7 active and 5 farm. Since there wasn't many decent farm players I took 15 active off each team figuring either make a trade for farm players or if not then those players I dropped would be available for the draft. Here is the expansion team I went into the draft with:

C Ramos 4
    SS Desmond $20
    OF Calhoun $5
    OF K Davis $1
    OF Venable $1
    OF Taveras $11 signed through 2016
    P Strasburg $20 signed through 2016
    P Cashner $4
    P Wheeler $5
    P Parnell $5

I was unable to make any deals for farm players although I had one with Taveras but decided his value was greater(we shall see). I figured this would give me a nice blend of offense with power and SB. On the pitching side I liked having the 3 starters and 1 closer.

Here is the team I drafted in bold:

C Ramos $4
    C M Montero $11
    1B Napoli $18
    3B A Ramirez $23
    CI Sandoval $19
    2B Walker $11
    SS Desmond $20
    MI Reyes $29
    OF Calhoun $5
    OF K Davis $1
    OF Venable $1
    OF Taveras $1
    OF Victoriano $21
    DH Me Cabrera $5

P Strasburg $20
    P Cashner $4
    P Wheeler $5
    P Parnell $5
    P Buchholz $15
    P Haren $7
    P kazmir $8
    P N Jones $7
    P Soria $7

We can keep up to 10 reserves and so far 7 have been selected.

1. Willingham $10
    2. Clippard $10
    3. Skaggs $5
    4. Pressley $5
    5. Chisenhall $5
    6. Hoes $5
    7. Ogando $3

I have no idea on how this team will stack up as I have some players such as Davis, Calhoun will need to live up to the hopeful expectations. Jones might be a very good deal at $7. And I won't get a farm until I make trades or the June farm draft.

Seems like you did an awesome job in the expansion draft, and then didn't overpay at the auction for anything!

Bold of you to "go for it" in the first year. I'd have been tempted to, with an eye to the future, to try to grab only younger players throughout the auction, but your team looks pretty good, so maybe it'll work out!

Comment

I thought you did a pretty good job. Everything nice and balanced, staying away from high-end guys and dollar days. Basically the polar opposite of my team. I wasn't sure that strategy could work and you didn't get a ton of bargains... but I didn't see too many overpays either. I love Haren and Jones but I wonder if you could have saved that 7 on Soria and gotten just a buck or two guy.

Comment

Cashner for $4 could be huge.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Eldiable, Montero wasn't my first choice but the way catchers were going I felt that he was worth somewhat to go to $11. If he bounces back from last season to 15 HR 60 RBI and a .260 BA I would be very happy with that but yeah I probably could have done a better job on managing that.

JC, I think doing a star and scrub draft in 15 team league can work better than in a 12 team AL or NL only league or in a 20 team mix league I was looking at Lillidogs roster (defending champs) and their team is loaded on the offense but their starting pitchers are not that bad. They have no closers though but they have enough trade chips to make that work. Your team is also loaded with offense Miggy/McCutchens. Your staring pitching is a little short and Hawkins for the closer might not last the entire season. But like the Lillidogs you have options and can make deals.

Comment

Wow..you did great for an expansion team, IMO. And who let Cashner go for $4? I agree with Erik - he's a steal at that price. I like the Willingham move, too.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't recall which team let Cashner unprotected but happy I have him. I pick up Willingham as I have Taveras goes to reserves until he gets called up whenever that happens. Also going heavier on the OF getting Hoes and Pressley as who knows if Calhoun or Davis will crap out. Of course I really should be worried about when Reyes hit the DL. Please stay healthy Jose!

Comment

Working...
              X