Highest Auction Inflation EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest Auction Inflation EVER

I joined a keeper league this year, and they don't seem to quite understand how to make a keeper league...interesting. I'm not positive I calculated this correctly, but I'm pretty sure the Inflation for our auction tomorrow is in the neighborhood of 350%.

I know, right now you're rolling your eyes, thinking "Pogues is a moron, and obviously calculating the inflation incorrectly."

I looked at the positions needed to be filled (along with bench spots) and pulled out the best players to fill those slots that are available. I looked at yahoo's average cost for those players, multiplied each of those numbers by 3, and their total cost comes out to $731. Money available for the auction is $1141, and that doesn't even include the $44 one team is leaving on the table because he kept a full roster of 23 players!!

I dropped Troy Tulowitzki because I had him for $48...I'm starting to think I should have kept him since he could go for over $100....I honestly have no idea what to do in this auction, since I'm taking over a 9th place team and there just isn't enough good players out there to build a good team. Best players available:

Troy "Tulowitzki "
    Jason "Heyward "
    Joe "Mauer "
    Masahiro "Tanaka "
    Brandon "Phillips "
    Shane "Victorino "
    Martín "Prado "
    José "Abreu "
    Jonathan "Papelbon "
    Asdrubal "Cabrera "
    Jon "Lester "
    CC "Sabathia "
    Jedd "Gyorko "
    Andrelton "Simmons "
    Brandon "Moss "

I have no idea why those quotes are showing up...
    Last edited by Pogues; 03-13-2014, 11:27 PM.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

If those are the best players, then you're right, they didn't know how to make a keeper league.

Comment

You can keep any player at last year's salary +$1. No contracts. Mike Trout is being kept at $2 this year. Same with McCutchen, CDavis, Encarnacion, Freeman, Ortiz, Rios, Carpenter, Bumgarner, Sale, JFernandez.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Sounds like a "de facto" dynasty-type league. I was in a league similar to that once, altho the inflation wasnt quite as high. Not a dynasty league per se but we could keep 12 minor leaguers for $0 each and you could keep players indefinitely if you raised them $5 per year. So you could get Mike Trout for $0 and keep him for 9 years or more if you were willing to take the annual increases in salary up to the $40 salary in the ninth year. And guys were kept for that price and more because inflation was so high. And inflation was high because I think you could keep up to 12 MLBers, many of which were real cheap because they had been acquired at $0 thru the farm system. The auction didnt take long at all because so few roster spots needed to be filled. It made sense if you could get a bunch of owners who were committed to staying in the league long enough to build a winner thru your farm system and trades. I inherited a bad team and I was only in it for 2 years.

If the cost for an extra year is only $1, then you could keep many guys, like Mike Trout, forever. I would say they need to increase this cost because real baseball doesnt work like this at all. You shouldnt be able cost-control a player for his entire career.
        Last edited by rhd; 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM.

Comment

This is basically a football-style dynasty league where once you own a guy, you can keep him forever if you want. I've never seen the fun in that sort of thing.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            You can keep any player at last year's salary +$1. No contracts. Mike Trout is being kept at $2 this year. Same with McCutchen, CDavis, Encarnacion, Freeman, Ortiz, Rios, Carpenter, Bumgarner, Sale, JFernandez.
            After your first post, despite your 2,590 post count, I was thinking you were miscalculating inflation. No longer do I think that. Oh man, sounds like you might be screwed for awhile. I can't imagine a league like this would last long since those who own the most of the above players will likely stay ahead for a long time

Comment

Can you look at prior auction results to see if everyone else understands the inflation?

Comment

How did all of those guys you listed go for $1 last year? Is that really what happened or am I misreading this somehow?
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

We have an "inflater" of 5-S2 for farmhands, not 10, and still S-2 if still qualify as rookie per AB/IP counts. so one guy this year has Wacha and Wong still S-2, for example.

But once the clock starts, maximum owning length is 4 years, for 5, 5, 10, 15 and out. that helps calm inflation down somewhat....
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                    After your first post, despite your 2,590 post count, I was thinking you were miscalculating inflation. No longer do I think that. Oh man, sounds like you might be screwed for awhile. I can't imagine a league like this would last long since those who own the most of the above players will likely stay ahead for a long time
                    Despite my 2600 posts here (and the 20K+ at the old site) I'm not anything close to an expert in these things. The league started as a group of friends, and I think they see it as a way to hang out than have a competitive league. They only figured out last year that they had to raise player salaries or nothing would really change, so those $1 players are probably from 2010 or 2011...when they decided to be a keeper league.

As Erik said, it is much like a dynasty league...but with the yahoo restrictions of the standard league, we don't have LONG benches or a minor league system or anything. So you can't grab super-young guys and hope they turn into something.

They know the $1 a year change isn't going to work, and I'm going to try to get them to adopt rules that balance out the league a bit, and make it more fun for everyone. If I'm not successful, I don't know if I will stay in the league past this year. I agreed to join the league then discovered all this silliness.

Comment

Originally posted by axman View Post
                      Can you look at prior auction results to see if everyone else understands the inflation?
                      Excellent idea...I didn't even think of that. So I did just that.

Looking at last year, the teams had $607 to spend. They spent $289.

There's hope for me yet!

Here's the hilarious part...some of them are excited about the talent that is out there and available in the auction.

Comment

I agreed to join the league then discovered all this silliness.
                        Always read the fine print!
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I think I agree with the "you can't calculated inflation correctly" argument. However, I think you are being too conservative with your number, not too aggressive.

Comment

Working...
                          X