Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Andy Petitte saga continues.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    funny, youre just about the only one (including media, teammates,etc) that seems to feel that way.
    Hammer. How is he both a good guy and a cheater?

Comment

Yeah...I've never fully understood why Pettitte gets a pass except that people "want" to like Pettitte (which almost always garners a person at least one pass). He's as guilty as Bonds, Clemens, Manny and any of the other guys who get villified.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        Yeah...I've never fully understood why Pettitte gets a pass except that people "want" to like Pettitte (which almost always garners a person at least one pass). He's as guilty as Bonds, Clemens, Manny and any of the other guys who get villified.
        Even more so, since Clemens and Bonds never failed a test and still claim innocence. The only "proof" on either guy is the word of confirmed liars. :secretariat:

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          Hammer. How is he both a good guy and a cheater?
          He did something wrong. He got caught. He spoke about it and apologized. Is your definition of a good guy someone who has never done anything wrong? If so, I would venture to say there arent any good guys in the bullpen.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

In terms of cheating, theyre all in the same boat but I still havent heard anything from Bonds or Clemens about what they did and Manny said it was a medication not a steroid.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              to be fair, iirc Pettitte denied it, got caught and said he only used it once, then got caught again and said he only used it twice.

nobody found a third time yet....
              I dont think this is accurate or youre misrepresenting it. He admitted to doing it twice (consecutive days) to expedite an elbow injury.

Comment

well, it was HGH.

I think wikipedia has it about right here:

"On December 13, 2007, Pettitte was one of several Yankees named in the Mitchell Report. Mitchell and his staff received the information on Pettitte from McNamee, who told them he injected Pettitte with HGH on 2–4 occasions in 2002 so that he would heal from an elbow injury quicker.[23]

On December 15, 2007, Pettitte verified McNamee's claim, admitting to using the HGH on two occasions in 2002, as it was meant to help heal an injury, and not to enhance his performance. Pettitte said he felt an obligation to return to the team as quickly as possible. He denied any further usage of HGH during his career; he also denied use of steroids or any other performance-enhancing drug.[24]
                Okay...that is the two he initially admitted to. Here is what he said:

Originally posted by Andy Pettitte
                “I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.

“This is it — two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list,” he said. “I wasn’t looking for an edge. I was looking to heal.
                But this was subsequent to that admission:
                On February 13, 2008, in an affidavit made public as part of a hearing before the U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Oversight and Governmental Reform, Pettitte admitted to additional injections of HGH twice in one day in 2004, using HGH obtained via prescription for his seriously ill father."

And here is what he said to the media after that information came to light:

Originally posted by Andy Pettitte
                "I am sorry for not telling the whole truth in my original statement," Pettitte said. "I never wanted to bring my dad into a situation like this. This was between me and him, and no one else. I testified about my dad in part because I felt in my heart I had to, but mainly because he urged me to tell the truth, even if it hurt him."
                Like I said, in my opinion, people tend to give Pettitte a pass because they want to like him. The 2004 usage was not related to the 2002 injury recovery (note that the media did not press him on the reason why he used the second time), he used his dad's illness as a cover for ordering the HGH, AND he lied in the public statements he made after his initial PED usage came to light. That doesn't sound like integrity...that sounds like deliberate deception. Of course, this does not make Pettitte any more of a villian than other players...but it certainly does not make him more admirable either.
                Last edited by ThatRogue; 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM.
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Okay...that is the two he initially admitted to. Here is what he said:

But this was subsequent to that admission:

And here is what he said to the media after that information came to light:

Like I said, in my opinion, people tend to give Pettitte a pass because they want to like him. The 2004 usage was not related to the 2002 injury recovery (note that the media did not press him on the reason why he used the second time), he used his dad's illness as a cover for ordering the HGH, AND he did not admit the whole truth the first time. That doesn't sound like integrity...that sounds like deliberate deception. Of course, this does not make Pettitte any more of a villian than other players...but it certainly does not make him more admirable either.
                  dont you think Andy gets a pass because he has spoken about it. While some dont like that the admissions came after getting caught (understandably so) have other active ball players come out and spoken about it freely? Giambi apologized but wouldnt say for what. A-Rod wouldnt take questions. I dont remember others taking the time to sit there and discuss it with the public. Were there any?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    dont you think Andy gets a pass because he has spoken about it. While some dont like that the admissions came after getting caught (understandably so) have other active ball players come out and spoken about it freely? Giambi apologized but wouldnt say for what. A-Rod wouldnt take questions. I dont remember others taking the time to sit there and discuss it with the public. Were there any?
                    Why this guy gets a pass? What makes him that special?
                    He admitted to cheating twice after being caught twice.

I dont give Giambi a pass - I dont give A-Rod a pass.

Caminiti?

Canseco?
                    Last edited by swampdragon; 02-06-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      Why this guy gets a pass? What makes him that special?
                      He admitted to cheating twice after being caught twice.

I dont give Giambi a pass - I dont give A-Rod a pass.

Caminiti?

Canseco?
                      i meant thats why many have given him a pass. as i mnsaid earlier he shouldnt get a pass for what he did.

Comment

Working...
                      X