Morales for Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morales for Wood?

I have an offer for my Alex Wood $5, for his Kendry Morales $13 (last year of his deal) in a 16 team mixed points league. I like Wood a lot, but I recognize my bias, so I'm posting here to get perspective. I believe in Wood's skills, but I also think there is a chance he ends up in the bullpen when Gavin Floyd comes back in May, or maybe even before then if Freddy Garcia takes his 5th starter job. Morales, on the other hand, should land a job somewhere.

Edit: If neither of these look like good keepers in a league this size, I should add that we keep 15, and our rosters go 30 deep, so there is a lot of inflation. Our cap is also $400.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM.

Wood just doesn't look like a starter to me, but if the alternatives are Floyd and sweaty Freddy, I think he sticks. Medlen/Minor/Teheran/Beachy (and Beachy himself is not Mr. Durability) and not a lot of other options in the high minors.

That said, I think I'd rather have the bat, or find a more reliable and more expensive bat in exchange for Wood.

Comment

Sweaty Freddy...haven't heard that one before. Made me chuckle.

He has also offered to include Khris Davis $7 for Nick Franklin $5 in this deal. Does this sweeten the pot enough to pull the trigger? I like Franklin, but I'm not sure he is worth keeping without knowing where he ends up.

He seems like he really wants to unload Morales, as he already has his corner spots locked up with better players. He also seems willing to gamble on Wood and Franklin finding jobs more than he is willing to gamble on Morales. I'd guess that has to do with their contracts and long term potential value. He could choose not to keep either guy if things look bad in the coming weeks, where as whoever has Morales has to keep him.

Edit: JC, I don't know the Braves mindset that well, but do you think they will feel like they have to start Floyd, because they chose to pay him $4 million to sign?
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Sweaty Freddy...haven't heard that one before. Made me chuckle.

He has also offered to include Khris Davis $7 for Nick Franklin $5 in this deal. Does this sweeten the pot enough to pull the trigger? I like Franklin, but I'm not sure he is worth keeping without knowing where he ends up.

He seems like he really wants to unload Morales, as he already has his corner spots locked up with better players. He also seems willing to gamble on Wood and Franklin finding jobs more than he is willing to gamble on Morales. I'd guess that has to do with their contracts and long term potential value. He could choose not to keep either guy if things look bad in the coming weeks, where as whoever has Morales has to keep him.

Edit: JC, I don't know the Braves mindset that well, but do you think they will feel like they have to start Floyd, because they chose to pay him $4 million to sign?
        I don't have any strong feelings for Franklin. How do your points work? Davis isn't a big walk guy and he does strike out a lot.

I don't know what the Braves plan to do with Floyd but I think they felt they had to pay someone that kind of money given Beachy's sketchy history, Wood's questionable future as a rotation piece and the relative youth of their big 3. And Medlen hasn't exactly been Mr. Durable either. They probably didn't want a multi-year guy because Graham or someone will probably be ready by 2015, so they were stuck.

I think I like the deal better with Davis/Franklin in it, but if he's that desperate I'd wonder if he'll part with a better piece.

Comment

Our point system for hitters is as follows: 1 pt per base, 1 per rbi, 1 per run, 2 per SB, -1 per error. No penalty for Ks. So low walks for Davis is bad, but the Ks don't hurt.

I do believe in Franklin's bat to provide mediocre avg, but good pop, given the chance, and I think I'd regret this if he ends up the starting SS for the Mets in a few weeks. But he is probably more of a gamble at this point than Morales--although the idea that Morales might sit until June has me worried. I think it has the other owner worried too.

In terms of what else he would give, he generally loves most of his guys. But I bet I could get Jonathan Villar $5 or Zach Cozart $5 instead of Davis. I like Villar, but in a points league, even one that gives 2 pts per steal, I'm not sure he is a good value. Although if folks think either he or Cozart is a clear upgrade over Franklin, I'd have to consider taking him and pulling the trigger.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I like Wood, but I'd pull the trigger on Wood and Franklin for Morales and K. Davis at those prices. Khris Davis isn't a huge walk guy, but he's not hacktastic, either - probably a 8-9% BB rate for him. And power...oh, yeah. Fielding...now, that's brutal. But he has a good fly ball rate, a guaranteed job, and a favorable home park. You get rid of Franklin - who has nowhere to play.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I am biased towards power. I like door number two. Adding Davis makes it a no brainer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I am biased towards power. I like door number two. Adding Davis makes it a no brainer for me.
                Would you prefer Davis to Michael Brantley at the same price? Based on your power comment, I assume so, but I want to make sure. Either are options for me.

Comment

Would you prefer Davis to Michael Brantley at the same price? Based on your power comment, I assume so, but I want to make sure. Either are options for me.
                  I'd rather have Davis. Power seems more useful here than the SB/AVG that Brantley offers.

Comment

Of all the players mentioned in this thread the one I see with the most upside is Khris Davis. However I am starting to believe that Morales will not sign until later in the year when their is no draft pick attached. Also he may go elsewhere to play as well.
                    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

I would prefer to have Davis.

Comment

I have another option now. His morales at 13 and Greg Holland at 7 for my Uehara at 7. Holland is due for an extension. Uehara is not. Is the upgrade from uehara to holland worth taking on morales? In this scenario I know longer have to give my $5 Alex Wood, bit i wouldn't have room to keep him.

If I should do it, should I extend Holland?

Comment

I have another option now. His morales at 13 and Greg Holland at 7 for my Uehara at 7. Holland is due for an extension. Uehara is not. Is the upgrade from uehara to holland worth taking on morales? In this scenario I know longer have to give my $5 Alex Wood, bit i wouldn't have room to keep him.

If I should do it, should I extend Holland?
                          Do you get points for holds, which devalues closers? If not, Holland is a monster in roto so presumably he is very good in points too. I kinda like this deal, and I would extend Holland a year.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Do you get points for holds, which devalues closers? If not, Holland is a monster in roto so presumably he is very good in points too. I kinda like this deal, and I would extend Holland a year.
                            We do. 3 for a hold. 6.5 for a save. But our scoring favors Ks big time, so holland is indeed a monster. He was number 2 at rp in our scoring system behind only kimrel. But koji was a monster too last year. I don't know if I can count on 70 innings and 100 is again from koji. Assuming he regresses a good bit more than holland in terms of innings and Ks, I think this is my best option. So, do people believe koji can come close to last year, or is he much more likely to regress than Holland in terms of innings and Ks, which are weighted most heavily in my league?
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X