2K14 NL Only Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K14 NL Only Keepers

12 team NL only, $265 budget, 14 hitters and 10 pitchers, 5x5 normal categories (but with K/9), I can keep 12 with no minimum. I finished second so I don't have a lot but there are some very good keepers.

Contract system: A = drafted in 2013; keep at same price. B - drafted in 2012; option year. C## = signed to contract. F = FAAB; anyone under $10 can be kept at $10 and all can only be kept one year no contract extensions allowed.

Yasmani Grandal $5B
    Nolan Arenado $5A *
    Aramis Ramirez $23A
    Matt Carpenter $4B *
    Ian Desmond $29A
    Ben Revere $21A
    Carlos Gonzalez $47A
    Jay Bruce $37A
    Matt Holliday $35A

Aroldis Chapman $15C14 *
    Madison Bumgarner $20C14 *
    Dan Haren $15A
    Tyson Ross $4F (so is $10 to keep)

Minor leaguers: Oscar Taveras $10M and Javier Baez $10M. As long as they are in the minors they are free. If they make the opening day roster they need to be part of the 12 keepers. If they do (Taveras has a chance), it won't be a problem to find room for them and they will most certainly be kept.

I * the guys I think are no brainers; all four of them. I think Ross is good choice to keep as well. I like Desmond, even at that price, 20/20 from the SS position is very nice.

I'm struggling with my oufielders; I like Revere, CarGo and Bruce but worry they are all a tad overpriced to be kept even with inflation factored in.

Haren intrigues me, very nice second half and now on a good team and good park.

Grandal just frustrates me, $5 isn't a lot of money but in some way I'd rather toss him back and get him for a little more money and have him for three years.

Help me out here, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Agree on your definite keepers. Beyond that it's a bit tougher. I am very high on Desmond given his health, 20/20 two years running, etc. He has been going for $26 in redraft leagues, so $29 isn't a stretch with inflation. Would probably toss Grandal, Ross, etc. As for CarGo, that probably depends on who will be kept. I might keep him even at that price. Would not keep Bruce (way overpriced). Revere might be a value, but I think you could get him back without spending much more.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I agree with your keepers. I would add Desmond and Ross to the list. I might add Ramirez depending on the 3b situation back in the draft.

Bruce probably brings $37 at your auction, but with a new contract. So I would put him back and rebid. I agree with the thought process on Grandal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Agree on your definite keepers. Beyond that it's a bit tougher. I am very high on Desmond given his health, 20/20 two years running, etc. He has been going for $26 in redraft leagues, so $29 isn't a stretch with inflation. Would probably toss Grandal, Ross, etc. As for CarGo, that probably depends on who will be kept. I might keep him even at that price. Would not keep Bruce (way overpriced). Revere might be a value, but I think you could get him back without spending much more.

Hope that helps!
        I'm not sure Bruce is way overpriced, there aren't a ton 30 HR, 100 RBI guys out there, especially in the NL. Sure you'd like his average to be a little higher. He was the 12th player taken in Mock One (among NL players that is). I'm on the fence and you could very well be right. As for who will be available among the big guys, here's who I believe will be available: McCutchen, Braun, Votto, Tulowitski, Kemp and J Upton. Not a ton of top end talent. Last year Braun and Kemp went for $54 and $51 respectively.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Bruce is probably a keeper at that price, partly because the new manager, unlike Dusty, has no problem hitting him fourth behind Votto, at least against RHP. Dusty had that "I don't want left-handed hitters back-to-back" thing going. I'd keep him and throw the other three OFs back. I say this despite how I feel about the Reds (call me the anti-Hammer).

Keep Ross, toss Haren back and repurchase.

Toss Grandal back, try to rebuy if he's your speed.

Ramirez isn't at a bad price. I'm neutral.

Keep Desmond. He could be the third most valuable SS in the league, behind Tulo and Hanley, he contributes across the board, and he's durable.

Don't keep 12 just to be keeping that many. You need auction dollars as well.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

He has been going for $26 in redraft leagues
            Not disagreeing; I'm just ignorant here - I know NL LABR is Saturday and wondered where you are seeing auction prices on redraft leagues? I'd love to get an early look.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
              Not disagreeing; I'm just ignorant here - I know NL LABR is Saturday and wondered where you are seeing auction prices on redraft leagues? I'd love to get an early look.
              CBS Sports hosted an NL-only auction recently. Here's a link to results:

Comment

I like Ramirez at that price. You must keep Arenado, so your CI is full, but I think those two for $28 is money. I'm not on high on Desmond as some of the others but your reasoning for keeping him is sound. I'd also probably keep Ross at $10, but I'd watch his ST carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  I'd also probably keep Ross at $10, but I'd watch his ST carefully.
                  I'll second that. I really like Ross, but he burned my a** once or twice when he was with Oakland. Maybe he's one of those guys who's cursed when I own him.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

I traded Jay Bruce for Gio Gonzalez $20B. I won't extend him but keep him at $20 for the year.

Also, I forgot to ask, Carpenter is in his option year. He's $4 right now. Would you guys give him an extension, I'm thinking one year. What do you guys think?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Carpenter strikes me as being one of those guys that you take your profit on and play out. Keep in mind that I'm not crazy about extensions in general.

-- William James

Comment

Anyone else who is not "crazy about extensions in general" care to comment?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Carpenter will be 3B, not 2B-eligible next year. So that's a factor. Such potential profit if you don't extend him! Also depends on league rules (how many keepers, what happens if a long-term contract player is hurt, etc.).

So I probably lean toward no extension.

Comment

Carpenter will be 3B, not 2B-eligible next year. So that's a factor. Such potential profit if you don't extend him! Also depends on league rules (how many keepers, what happens if a long-term contract player is hurt, etc.).

So I probably lean toward no extension.
                            I considered the 3B factor but it's not exactly a deep position either. In season a play only needs to play one game at a position so he could regain 2B eligibility in 2015 with just one game. He's a $20 player without inflation so I think having him at $9 still gives you plenty of profit.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Without question I give him a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X