Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick # 4 in H2H - Kershaw or Hitter?

5x5 12-team mixed H2H league...

I'm fairly new to the H2H format, and drew the 4th pick in our upcoming draft. Assuming that 2 of Goldy, Cutch, and Kershaw will be there for me. Anyone think that Kershaw should be the pick?

I would welcome your input.

Being a roto guy myself, my first thought is that Goldschmidt and McCutchen will contribute in 5 categories while Kershaw will contribute in 4 categories. But i guess in H2H you have to consider the 2 start week from Kershaw once every month or so. That does make the comparison a little closer. I would still take the hitter because there is less chance of an injury taking away your first pick.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

12 team H2H mixer..I'm taking the best hitter in the 1st round.

Comment

Depends, is it a points H-H or just cats? Because in points leagues, pitchers can be very valuable indeed, more so that a good hitter a lot of weeks.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Depends, is it a points H-H or just cats? Because in points leagues, pitchers can be very valuable indeed, more so that a good hitter a lot of weeks.
          Yes, in most points leagues, Kershaw will be a top 3 player on the year. Kershaw is also at the nexus of talent, proven performance, age, and reliability. In short, he is the one SP I think it is worthy of consideration as a first rounder, and even the top half of the first round. #4 is a little early, perhaps, but I doubt you'll be disappointed if you pick him. If you do though, I'd lay off pitching for a few rounds. There is a ton of pitching depth in a 12 team league. If you pass on a hitter in round one, I'd suggest going hitter for at least the next 4-5 picks.

Comment

I probably would, because roto increases the value of Cutch and Goldy because of their speed. Without that Kershaw is ahead, or at least a lot closer. Though if you get major points for walks, is Votto a consideration?

Comment

I need to get my eyes checked, I swear the title said "Kershaw or Hitler?" Of course I'd go Kershaw were those the choices.

I'd go hitter with that pick, for sure. I'd want a 5 cat guy, who there are still several on the board, instead of a SP. Those SP just aren't worth the risk that high up.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Cats, not points

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                  Cats, not points
                  I'm definitely taking a hitter at #4, either Goldschmidt or McCutchen.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Are starting pitchers more likely to have a season-ending injury than a 1B/OF? I don't know the answer to this question, but I'm always paranoid of them. For that reason I'd go safer and stick with the hitter. I always think in snake drafts you should play it safe in the first few rounds.

Comment

Hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        I'm definitely taking a hitter at #4, either Goldschmidt or McCutchen.
                        Ditto.

Comment

In a Head 2 Head league in most months a starter will have two 2-start weeks, and two 1 start weeks. The weeks that Kershaw gets 2 starts I believe he is much more valuable than any hitter, however the weeks he only gets 1? To me this brings into the question how you are going to set up your staff in general and the size of your bench. If you have a small bench I'd definitely go hitter instead of Kershaw. However if you have a larger bench and have likie to build a very solid relief core then I could see a strong argument for Kershaw. I like to play in leagues with deep benches and I build solid bull pens due to this I would lean toward Kershaw (maybe even 3rd).
                          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post
                            In a Head 2 Head league in most months a starter will have two 2-start weeks, and two 1 start weeks. The weeks that Kershaw gets 2 starts I believe he is much more valuable than any hitter, however the weeks he only gets 1? To me this brings into the question how you are going to set up your staff in general and the size of your bench. If you have a small bench I'd definitely go hitter instead of Kershaw. However if you have a larger bench and have likie to build a very solid relief core then I could see a strong argument for Kershaw. I like to play in leagues with deep benches and I build solid bull pens due to this I would lean toward Kershaw (maybe even 3rd).
                            Great point. We only have a 3-man bench (not including DL spots).

Super feedback everybody.

Comment

Working...
                            X