1st pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st pick?

This is the first time that I have ever had the first pick - 12 team yahoo league

Trout seems obvious - unless anyone can convince me otherwise

Who might work well as the 24th pick -

and are there any strategies for being on the ends?

Ya Trout is the pick at one. Hard to speculate at 24/25. Keep in mind (with being on the end) of runs and sometimes you have to get your targets earlier than you want.

Comment

Definitely Trout. As for picking at the ends, make long lists right after your first pick, watch most of your top of the list disappear, and formulate your tactics for each round of two picks with a few picks to go before your turn.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

You might have a nice choice of middle infielders at the round 2/3 turn: Kipnis, Pedroia, Desmond, Reyes

The other spot that I like that should be there is a corner-man: Freeman, Wright, Longoria

Comment

Yeah, Trout at #1 because of the sb advantage over Miggy. If you want a top 5 pitcher, you may have to grab one at #24/25. Not sure they will still be there at #48/49.

I would definitely jump at Darvish if he was still available at #24, but i doubt if he will be.
          Last edited by madducks; 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

we actually 3 keepers but they must have been in rounds 5 or below from last year - and they are kept for 2 years
            so

I will have Chapman as my round 9 pick
            Homer Bailey as my 17th round
            Billy Hamilton as my 26th round pick - woo woo

I am throwing Cingrani 15, Altuve 7 , Granderson 11, Jose Veras 22 back into the pile

Comment

I'd consider throwing Hamilton back and taking Altuve at 7 if you plan on taking Trout.

Picking Trout if you plan on playing Hamilton would be overkill in speed. You're going to need Miggy to make up for the lack of Avg/HR/RBI that Hamilton will create.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                I'd consider throwing Hamilton back and taking Altuve at 7 if you plan on taking Trout.

Picking Trout if you plan on playing Hamilton would be overkill in speed. You're going to need Miggy to make up for the lack of Avg/HR/RBI that Hamilton will create.
                Altuve at pick #73 seems way too high to me. There should still be a few top 10 1B/3B, or top 20 OF/SP available at #73. Those players can probably contribute in more categories that Altuve. Hamilton at pick #312 is a steal (pardon the pun). Also love the Bailey pick at #193.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post

I disagree. Hamilton in the 26th round is a great bargain but we have no idea how many bases he'll steal. He'd need to steal a hundred bases to overkill and even still wouldn't prevent him from using 12 other picks on power and batting average.

Comment

I would at least consider taking Cabrera first. Using HQ projections he's the #1 ranked player.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

If you are playing points, to me Miggy is the pick because of the lack of depth and uncertainty at 3B. If it's roto, you have to take Trout and the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                        I disagree. Hamilton in the 26th round is a great bargain but we have no idea how many bases he'll steal. He'd need to steal a hundred bases to overkill and even still wouldn't prevent him from using 12 other picks on power and batting average.
                        I'll be honest, if it were possible (I don't know this league) I'd be trying to deal off Hamilton for anything I could get. He has one too many question marks for my taste. I also never roster the Ben Revere or Michael Borne types. Altuve might not be a steal in round 7, but I'd gladly take him there if I thought it gave me a better distribution of stats. If Hamilton steals 100 bases, hits .190 with 20 RBI's. I'd rather not have him on my roster. He's got way too much to prove if I can only take three keepers into a draft.

Comment

Hamilton at that round equates to a bench gamble. I don't like him at all but I'd take that lottery ticket as what may turn into one heck. Of a trade chip!
                          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            I would at least consider taking Cabrera first. Using HQ projections he's the #1 ranked player.
                            I'd take Cabrera without hesitation, especially with Billy Hamilton as one of my keepers. And there's no way I'd keep Altuve that high. Altuve, IMO, is the most-overrated player in fantasy baseball.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how Cabrera does without Fielder in their lineup.

Comment

Working...
                              X