Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelson Cruz signs with O's (1 year, $8 million plus incentives)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson Cruz signs with O's (1 year, $8 million plus incentives)

I don't really love Cruz, but this is a good low risk signing by the O's. He'll slot in nicely at the DH spot for them and represents a solid upgrade over what they had before.

Can the O's offer a QO next spring?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
      Can the O's offer a QO next spring?
      Yes, but it will likely be at $16M and they'd be nuts to pay a DH $16M

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Yes, but it will likely be at $16M and they'd be nuts to pay a DH $16M
        So cruz figures he has a decent 2014 and scoops a $50 million contract next winter?

Comment

Doubtful, he'll be an injury prone, 33 YO DH, who's a .260 hitter with no speed to speak of anymore. I can't see anything but a 2 year deal in his future unless he blows up this season, and then the Yanks will sign him to a 5 year deal for 120 million to replace Carlos Beltran.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
            So cruz figures he has a decent 2014 and scoops a $50 million contract next winter?
            He's a year to year player from here on out IMO, unless some team is willing to go 2 years. He's on the bad side of the aging curve and can't field anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              He's a year to year player from here on out IMO, unless some team is willing to go 2 years. He's on the bad side of the aging curve and can't field anything.
              It only takes one fool to award a bad contract.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                It only takes one fool to award a bad contract.
                Did anyone take the bait this offseason?

Wow, he turned down a guaranteed $14.1m from the Rangers. Time to fire the agent!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Wow, he turned down a guaranteed $14.1m from the Rangers. Time to fire the agent!
                  The agent would just say, "It was his decision to turn it down", and weasel his way out of responsibility. If that didn't work, he'd claim collusion on the part of the owners. Or perhaps a vast right-wing conspiracy.

I hope I'm wrong on this. I hope the players who were hung out to dry fire their agents, if only to send a message to the other agents and similar bottom dwellers.

What will really be interesting is how many teams offer the guaranteed money next off-season and how many players take it.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Not costing the signing team a draft pick will make a difference to a few teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      The agent would just say, "It was his decision to turn it down", and weasel his way out of responsibility.
                      Um...He can't say that to the person who has the ability to fire him. Only the agent and client know the absolute truth, there is no spinning a story in this situation between the two of them. Either Cruz is upset and feels he got bad advice and could fire his agent or he knows he thought he could get a big deal and he won't fire him. But to say the agent can spin it any other way and weasel out of responsibility from the one person with all the power is just plain wrong and dumb to suggest.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                      X