Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me avoid post trade dissonance..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me avoid post trade dissonance..........

........by virtually slapping me on the back over my latest trade, please.

HDID???

This league counts a fair few from this forum as partcipants I think, so it'll be good to hear from many of you, especially those who made offers for the man in question!

I just traded away Justin Verlander for Kris Bryant and Kole Calhoun.

If you look at my roster, I think it's clear why I did the trade - aging is an understatement, especially where batting is concerned. Batting was also with little to no depth. I think I adressed that and look in better position for the next few years than pre trade. I was a little amazed at the lack of offers for Verlander actually, but this league values prospects/young players more than any other (it's Dynasty of course). That said, I am more of a play for now type guy, and have done quite well in my first two years of this league which has been going some time. That attitude I am slowly changing though, out of necessity!

c - M Montero
    1b - A Dunn, D Ruf, D Brown (a prospect!)
    2b - M Carpenter, A Guerrero, J Rutledge
    3b - A Ramirez, J Donaldson, K Bryant (my only other decent prospect!)
    ss - I Desmond
    of - A Rios, S Victorino, C Quentin, K Calhoun

we have 2 Util spots.

sp - Y Darvish, J Masterson, W Miley, S Kazmir, S Baker, J Niese, M Gonzales (An apparently sub par prospect these days)
    rp - G Holland, E Frieri, G Balfour, S Cishek, L Hawkins, L Hochevar, R Madson.

I finished 2nd in this league last year (won it the year before) with Verlander having a down year and have added Masterson this year.

Alora, what thinks the Pen??

How many teams? If it's 20 then Calhoun has some notable value. Otherwise I really don't like it. Your team looks good enough to compete (or would have, with Verlander) so why not go 1 more year and then tear it down? Or at least keep Verlander until someone gets desperate at mid-season. I don't think a Kris Bryant/Kole Calhoun type offer is going away; that would still be there in July. If your league hates old dudes you probably could have flipped Cishek for Pujols or Napoli or something and gotten even better for 2014. I like Bryant a lot but he's no lock to be at 3B, and no prospect is a lock to turn into a star.

Comment

Thanks for feedback. Not helping me in my goal mind you

I am actually hoping Donaldson repeats (and repeats, and repeats etc) and that Bryant ends up at OF.

It is a 20 team league.

My main worry about JV is that his workload has been so high he may just breakdown in the coming season or two. I wanted something for him whilst he's still (relatively) healthy.

I do agree that with him I was more competitive this season, probably next too though, so yeah timing is bad and based on worry alone.

Comment

Me gusto mucho thedevil505

Gracias hombre.

Appreciate the opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Not sure why JC keeps saying that about Calhoun. He has the makings of a very good all around player. He's certainly better than waiver wire fodder. And Bryant looks to be a total stud in the making. And if Verlander keeps underperforming you most certainly aren't getting this return in July.

It's a risk, but all trades are.
          In a 20-team league I like him a LOT better. His steamer projection is .274-16hr-10sb. He's 26. He's not going to grow into a 20/20 player or anything like that. He's just a fine role player, about the 60th OF off the board which makes him an OF3/OF4 in a 20-teamer. That's a hell of a lot better than an OF5/bench player in a 12-team league. Even so, you'd better be really sure about Bryant becoming a .260-30+ HR guy to deal Verlander and get that kind of package back.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            In a 20-team league I like him a LOT better. His steamer projection is .274-16hr-10sb. He's 26. He's not going to grow into a 20/20 player or anything like that. He's just a fine role player, about the 60th OF off the board which makes him an OF3/OF4 in a 20-teamer. That's a hell of a lot better than an OF5/bench player in a 12-team league. Even so, you'd better be really sure about Bryant becoming a .260-30+ HR guy to deal Verlander and get that kind of package back.
            My only doubts on Bryant are two-fold--One, I'm not sure he can stay at 3B; and Two, he's a Cub, and things just happen to Cubs prospects.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

This is one of the things I love about fantasy baseball - so many contrasting opinions. Eldiablo's take is much the same as mine. Of course, whilst it's nice to read likeminded opinion, it's also good to have the contrarian view to balance things out and provide still more food for thought on the done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Well, of course you could get vintage Verlander, totally recovered from the ailment that caused his mechanics to slip in 2013. Calhoun could struggle and get benched or sent down. Bryant could collapse or stall at higher levels and this trade would be a total disaster for you. Gotta roll the dice, though.
                FWIW, JV did say that the injury bothered him all last year, so if he's recovered, he could be back to vintage JV. Or he could just be distracted by Kate Upton.

Comment

Kate Upton. Had no idea. Just googled her. Clicked on images and am now happy as larry that I moved him. Why's he bothering to pitch at all?

Fun bags galore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dans View Post
                    Kate Upton. Had no idea. Just googled her. Clicked on images and am now happy as larry that I moved him. Why's he bothering to pitch at all?

Fun bags galore.
                    Sports Bar. Fresno Bob's post. now.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I like the deal for you in a 20 tm dynasty. Your p staff looks not so hot, but you landed some serious quality young offense. I would be doing cartwheels myself if I were you.

Comment

Hello RR.

Comment

Working...
                        X