Stanton, Puig & Baez for Cabrera & Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton, Puig & Baez for Cabrera & Wright

12 team 5x5 mixed keeper, no contracts. 22 man rosters (just one catcher) with 7 keepers.

The owner of Miguel Cabrera traded away a bunch of draft picks last year and has decided to rebuild. After much negotiation he's offered me...

Miguel Cabrera and David Wright

for

Giancarlo Stanton, Yasiel Puig* and Javier Baez**

*Puig is my prospect as such and can be "promoted" with the last pick of the draft. Essentially he's a free 8th keeper.

**Baez is my prospect. He can be kept until the offseason after he reaches 100ABs in MLB whereupon he must be promoted (see above) or released

I'll be able to think of contending this year so hate the thought of giving away that free 8th keeper - tried to swap Kemp in for Puig but no dice. However, the chance to get one of the best players in the game doesn't come along often.

BP thoughts?

Wouldn't do it in a keeper...you're just giving away way too much. Hell, in 3 seasons, Baez may be the best player in that deal. And I love Miggy like nobody else, but still wouldn't do it.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

what's the penalty for the other 7 keepers? Can you keep Miggy and Wright indefinitely? Your post isn't clear about that. If so, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

I'm not doing that deal either. It's very tempting but visions of Stanton in another lineup and the upside of Puig and Baez are just too much for me to part with, even for Miggy. Add the fact that you get an extra keeper and that seals it for me.

Comment

If I made the trade I could keep Cabrera and Wright indefinitely, yes. The sole restriction is that we can keep only seven (apart from promoted prospects).

Regarding the prospect promotion being an "extra" keeper, I'll just clarify that it's only the case at the time the prospect is promoted. So Puig is a free keeper this year but next year he'd have to be one of the standard seven keepers.

Comment

I would do it. It hurts, but Puig and Baez are not locks. Wright and Miggy aren't ancient. Even Stanton has some red flags, the park, his size and his knees.

But I would make sure to shop Puig around to make sure nobody will give you more.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
              If I made the trade I could keep Cabrera and Wright indefinitely, yes. The sole restriction is that we can keep only seven (apart from promoted prospects).

Regarding the prospect promotion being an "extra" keeper, I'll just clarify that it's only the case at the time the prospect is promoted. So Puig is a free keeper this year but next year he'd have to be one of the standard seven keepers.
              I'd do this deal then without a second's hesitation. People are way too prospect nutsy. Javier Baez may be a top prospect, but that may mean very little to your team's chances for 2-3 years.

Comment

No problem giving Baez, it's Puig as the "free" keeper that's the bigger stalling point TBH. And yes, it's a league where prospects are usually overvalued (and catchers usually massively undervalued).

Comment

Yea, I'd make this deal, the key point being that you think you can contend this year, and Wright & Miggy give you a much better chance of winning now. I don't think you're going to get a better offer for Puig, but can't hurt to ask around. But I'd be quick about it before this other guy changes his mind.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I'd do this deal then without a second's hesitation. People are way too prospect nutsy. Javier Baez may be a top prospect, but that may mean very little to your team's chances for 2-3 years.
                    Agreed---people need to apply a discount rate to prospects (even top ones) and once you do it this becomes a pretty clear call. In some setups there's a big salary difference involved, and that almost always makes it tougher to deal prospects, but in a setup where all players can be kept for similar value this is one you need to take.

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post

You have to give to get. I would do what you are doing, post the question here, read the answers, and then pull the trigger. This trade helps you win this year and sets you up pretty good moving forward.

Comment

in my league you'd be giving up $42 of value for $61. Baez likely wont help much this year. He still needs to make better contact.

If you can win this year I'd do the deal. I do think it hurts you probably two years from now but by then you might have acquired the next Stanton and Puig.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

So, the deal was done. Same as above but got him to throw in Travis d'Arnaud (can be kept this year for "free", like Puig).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Well done on the deal! I'm reading this late and was about to post a "go for it, Miggy is one of the top 5 roto players, Puig is overweight and may regress, so I think it is worth it"

Comment

Working...
                            X