Ubaldo to the Orioles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I know that, you know that--but the eternally dissatisfied kind of fan has to have something about which to b***h. You know that guy--if the team won the World Series every year, he'd complain because it took them six games to win the WS, and "why must they take into October to finish this?".
    I see you've been to Boston recently

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      I see you've been to Boston recently
      No, but I know the type all too well. It reminds me of 1976, when the Reds swept the Phils in the LCS, swept the Yankees in the World Series for their second straight title--and there were "fans" who thought they should have won sooner (which was impossible) or bigger (which would have been hard to do).
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

well as a Blue Jay fan there's a part of me that feels like we're missing out on all the free agent fun this winter ... but then I remember that these aren't aces we're talking about - this is 4 years & $50M for Ubaldo Jiminez, whose last three WHIPs have been 1.33, 1.60, & 1.41. yes he finished strong last year, but I'm increasingly happy that AA is sitting on the sidelines.

I'm kind of hoping that we stay away from Santana too, though I do like him a bit better; his propensity to give up the gopher ball wouldn't play too well in the AL east.

the Jays have one open spot in the rotation, & a bunch of guys looking to come back from injury this year in Drabek, Hutchinson, & Redmond, and there's still Ricky Romero in there somewhere, though he's on his last chance ... plus we still have a couple of kids almost ready to take the next step in Sanchez & Stroman ... I'm hoping we don't open up the vault for mediocrity.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Now if the O's are smart they'll turn around and sign Morales since it only costs them a 2nd rounder.
          Don't know about smart, but they were talking to Nelson Cruz at some point. Kinda makes sense in light of this signing.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Common sense prevailing?

Since signing right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, the Orioles have intensified their interest in free agent designated hitter Kendrys Morales, according to a source.
            The Orioles have been linked to the switch-hitting designated hitter throughout the offseason, but didn't appear to be in serious negotiations previously. That pursuit seemingly has increased in seriousness, the source said, due to two developments.
            One, the Orioles had been hesitant to forfeit their first-round pick – 17th overall – to sign Morales, but they instead forfeited it when agreeing to a four-year deal with Jimenez.

If they were to sign Morales now, the Orioles would surrender their second-rounder, roughly the 55th selection overall in 2014, which obviously is not as coveted as a first-round (or supplemental) pick.

Secondly, a shorter deal with an opt-out for Morales is potentially available for the Orioles now. Previously it was thought that the 30-year-old Morales was seeking a four- or five-year deal only, but now it appears that a two-year deal with an opt out after the first season could be in play.

Comment

Common sense? Morales is STILL unsigned and spring training has begun so why not give him a multi-year contract with a (totally favoring the player) opt out to boot?!

He turned down $14,000,000.

When a team signs him, how about the team gets him for the entirety of the team commitment?

By the way, 'opt out' is an insane feature teams are now giving to players like dessert after a great meal. Oh, you think only a few players have had them, I promise and guarantee that EVERY player is now asking and teams are just too dumb to say "no".

Comment

Well, a form of common sense anyway. The O's just spent 50mil on Ubaldo. No sense in doing that and winning 77 games. Their current DH is Nolan Reimold. Signing Morales would move the needle and now it won't even cost them a 1st round pick.

Comment

Well, a form of common sense anyway. The O's just spent 50mil on Ubaldo. No sense in doing that and winning 77 games. Their current DH is Nolan Reimold. Signing Morales would move the needle and now it won't even cost them a 1st round pick.
                  Its the opt out that I find insane.

Once the O's signed a pitcher for $50 million, the smartest thing they could do in regards to free agency IS sign Morales (I am not a fan of committing too much money to cruz).

Comment

I wonder if morales asking price is getting in line with the market now that nel.cruz depressed that market further with his one year $8 million contract. Hey, maybe the O's sign morales too !

Comment

Looks like the O's were a LOT smarter than anyone expected, providing that Ubaldo is at least 85% as good as last year. Get the thumper they needed to extend the line-up, got the starter that they needed to give the kids another year, and probably have enough money to do something else if they see fit.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Will he straighten things out? I reluctantly picked him in my mixed H2H league. I just picked up Lackey and Buehrle but lost Cobb. Hammel is at the top of my wanted list.

Will Ubaldo struggle all year in the AL East? Should I be patient with him? Cut him loose and never look back?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Ubaldo is always a slow starter. I'd be picky with where to start him until mid-May.

That Orioles-Blue Jays game was crazy at first. Buerhle was putting just as many, if not more O's on base than Jimenez. But once those O's got into position, they couldn't get a hit. I know through the 6th inning the Orioles were 0-7 with RISP. Their two late runs came on two solo shots.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                          X