Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RJEL Minor League Draft Discussion Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I debated between Urias and Glasnow when I took Tyler.

Comment

I think that Urias has a huge upside, but I can't help but remember Michael Ynoa, who I believe was also 16 when he was signed...he can't be more than 22-24 now, but what the hell ever happened to him? Of course, that can be said about any prospect that's picked...

BTW, the player that I really hoped would fall to me in the 2nd was Herrera...wishful thinking on that. Two good picks by Tim, IMO.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        And Urias was one of my top two pitchers.

Nice picks, Andy.
        Thanks guys. I've really come to believe that we're not drafting minor leaguers in RJEL for our own teams performance. Rather, we make so many deals in this league that you're likely going to trade your minor leaguers when making a run for a title. So I was really just trying to find the two guys who I think will have the most trade value in the next year or so. And I couldn't pass up a guy named Mookie!

I also think that after the first four-ish players this year, there are a whole bunch of guys around the same value. I was hoping Glasnow or Meadows would fall, but Ray and Keith made sure that didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
          Thanks guys. I've really come to believe that we're not drafting minor leaguers in RJEL for our own teams performance. Rather, we make so many deals in this league that you're likely going to trade your minor leaguers when making a run for a title. So I was really just trying to find the two guys who I think will have the most trade value in the next year or so.
          Exactly. I feel I can compete on a near-perpetual basis in this league, maintaining a sort of competitive equilibrium, rather than win titles and rebuild for a few years, which means that I have no illusions that these picks will be on my team in a season or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
            Thanks guys. I've really come to believe that we're not drafting minor leaguers in RJEL for our own teams performance. Rather, we make so many deals in this league that you're likely going to trade your minor leaguers when making a run for a title. So I was really just trying to find the two guys who I think will have the most trade value in the next year or so. And I couldn't pass up a guy named Mookie!

I also think that after the first four-ish players this year, there are a whole bunch of guys around the same value. I was hoping Glasnow or Meadows would fall, but Ray and Keith made sure that didn't happen.
            Hell Andy, don't deal away TOO many of your assents in your attempt to finish 2nd. I plan on winning the league for the 3rd time AND keeping all of my minor leaguers besides... Ahhhh, dare to dream big...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Does anyone else find irony in a prospect named Mookie being with the Red Sox, of all organizations?
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                I'm already venturing into speculative territory with the Arismendy Alcantera pick. Normally I prefer actual production to scouting reports, which I feel are ominously inaccurate often times, but everyone and their mother is hyping this guy and saying that his 2013 was a breakout. Looks like he's blocked by Javier Baez, Starlin Castro at shortstop and presumably by Kris Bryant (who I also own) at third, so maybe his future is at second. Of course, I have Kolten Wong in my minors so maybe this wasn't the wisest choice for me....
                Hey, you can deal him to me, he was the guy I was hoping would fall. Not to be however...speculation is that he'll become the super sub if they keep Castro. Baez moves to 2nd and eventually (perhaps this season) Bryant takes over 3rd. But he was certainly the bat to get of what's left out there, now I have to go fishing...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm starting to really hone in on a couple guys. This always happens in minor league drafts --- I get multiple mancrushes and must-haves. There are now three guys that I'm really hoping will slide to my next three picks. Doubt it'll happen, but one can dream....
                  This draft felt extremely sparse at the high end. Outside of Kris Bryant (who I knew I wasn't going to get because I saw you were already wiping off your chin), it felt very very risky. I see very little difference in most of the guys that are left, which is good because that means my late round picks will pretty much have the same chance of clicking as my high round picks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    This draft felt extremely sparse at the high end. Outside of Kris Bryant (who I knew I wasn't going to get because I saw you were already wiping off your chin), it felt very very risky. I see very little difference in most of the guys that are left, which is good because that means my late round picks will pretty much have the same chance of clicking as my high round picks.
                    It does have the feel of there being more slightly lower quality "top" hitters and about the same number of the same quality "top" pitchers. In other words, slightly flatter or slightly less risky, depending on how you want to view it.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Maybe there's a Mets prospect named Buckner....
                      If there is, he's not in this year's or last year's top 30 per BA. It would be one of those weird coincidences if there was, though. ESPN would be all over a meaningless thing like that.

-- William James

Comment

Well, two of my three guys on my list are now gone. One was Mitch Nay, selected by Strikers, and the other was Andrew Heaney, already owned prior to this season by Revo.

I am not what you'd call a smart man.
                        The fact that your list had just three guys on it says a lot. Ba da bum.

Comment

This has become a very interesting draft, watching the twists and turns since all of the "top" players with the exception of Bryant, have some question marks. I can't recall an RJEL draft where so many picks were spec picks based on nothing more than a handful of AB's or innings pitched. I think that it's going to have a ripple effect next year, when many of the players picked in this draft, will be on top 100 lists in 2015. More than usual anyway...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

For being near the back of both rounds I was happy with Glasnow and Stroman. Just one mans pov but Sickels likes them both having them inside his 2013 end of the season top 50. Now I don't pick again until forever so I'll be digging real deep then.
                            Last edited by frae; 02-16-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I really struggled with choosing between Andrew Toles and Raimel Tapia with my last pick. I thought that Toles was slightly more high-profile and that if I picked him I might be able to sneak Tapia in with my next pick. Obviously that wasn't the case.
                              Tapia wouldn't have made it back to you.

Comment

My pitching list has been turned into vapor by you mutts. Stroman, Harvey, Shipley, Montero, Manaea, Foltynewicz, Rodriguez, all in the space of 19 picks since my last selection, plus three of my top six hitters.

In the words of the late, great Johnny Carson, "May a deranged dishwasher wash and stack your sister."

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X