What to do with Nick Franklin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Nick Franklin?

Ever since Cano got signed, I think most Franklin owners and fans assumed he'd be traded into a starting role somewhere. Some early buzz was that he'd get shipped to the Yankees. He hasn't been moved yet, and right now, his 2014 value is very much in question. In Seattle, I don't see how he stays in the majors. They have Cano, Miller, and Bloomquist in the infield already, and he'd lose much of his value as a hitter if they tried to transition him to the OF a la Ackley.

What does the pen think will happen with him? Will he get traded? Will he be a starter somewhere in 2014? What is his value? If you had him on your roto roster right now, what would you do with him? Does he have current value, or is he too much of a gamble?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-26-2014, 11:53 AM.

This is purely a guess, but I suspect that barring an injury to anyone (and M's fans got some bad news on that front earlier today), he'll be sent to AAA or sit on the major league bench for a while. Then, when the Yankees realize that Roberts/Sizemore/Johnson et al aren't cutting it at 2B/3B (even making an absurd assumption of good health there), perhaps they'll trade for Franklin and (wild guess) former Yankee phenom Jesus Montero, who will fill in for the oft-injured Mark Teixeira.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      This is purely a guess, but I suspect that barring an injury to anyone (and M's fans got some bad news on that front earlier today), he'll be sent to AAA or sit on the major league bench for a while. Then, when the Yankees realize that Roberts/Sizemore/Johnson et al aren't cutting it at 2B/3B (even making an absurd assumption of good health there), perhaps they'll trade for Franklin and (wild guess) former Yankee phenom Jesus Montero, who will fill in for the oft-injured Mark Teixeira.
      I don't see NY taking the Montero baggage, maybe Smoak. What they have to send in return is anybody's guess.....
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
        I don't see NY taking the Montero baggage, maybe Smoak. What they have to send in return is anybody's guess.....
        The Montero mention was just an attempt at humor--yet plausible. I wasn't going to mention that which no rabid Yankees fan dares mention, that the team doesn't have many trading chips, but now that you've mentioned it, I agree. Perhaps they can persuade Jack Z that someone among Banuelos/Betances/Hensley is an actual potential major leaguer. You have to keep in mind that it probably won't take much to get him to unload Franklin and one of the excess 1B/DH/OF types.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Rumors are heating up a little bit with Franklin. First the Mets are interested and now the Rays and RotoWorld says the Rays match up better than the Mets. Let's say the Ray do get Franklin and let's assume it's for pitching. What do they do with him? Does Zobrist move to LF (where DeJesus is slated to start)? Or does he remain a bench player?
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

If it gets Mr. Does-Nothing-Well-And-Nothing-Too-Badly DeJesus out of the regular lineup, it's good. He's not a terrible player, but not that good, either. Starting him in the Rays' OF is like the assemblage the Yankees are using in their infield--bleh.

-- William James

Comment

If he goes tot he Rays, unless he tears it up he'll be in AAA. The Rays will bring him up only if they have an injury or trade someone to create the opening. They will want him to play every day.
              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Mets GM Alderson utterly dislikes RTejada and spews it on local radio. They want Drew or Franklin, but are willing to stink more for a year if need be...
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  If it gets Mr. Does-Nothing-Well-And-Nothing-Too-Badly DeJesus out of the regular lineup, it's good. He's not a terrible player, but not that good, either. Starting him in the Rays' OF is like the assemblage the Yankees are using in their infield--bleh.
                  The Rays love him. They think if you hide him from lefties he's elite. Look at the contract extension they gave him. They won't bench him. They're pretty set with Joyce/platoon guy at DH, DeJesus/platoon guy in RF, Myers and Jennings. Zorilla can stay in the infield.

Comment

Working...
                  X