X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Burnett signs with....the Phillies

per Rosenthal/Salisbury

That'll get the Phillies to .500

This Pirates fan wishes him well--except when he pitches against Pittsburgh, of course. He was a quality acquisition and was a major part in making our team relevant again.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

$16M for one year according to philly.com

Comment

He fits right in with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
          He fits right in with the team.
          Because of his age and being near the end of his career?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Do you hate me more now for grabbing him this past round in Mock 1?
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
              Do you hate me more now for grabbing him this past round in Mock 1?
              Considering how many times I could have taken him and didn't, I have no reason to hate you. Unless you finish ahead of me and Burnett pitches well, of course, then it is ON.

-- William James

Comment

absolutelty

Comment

I hear the Mets bid $15.94 million - they just can't catch a break!
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I hear the Mets bid $15.94 million - they just can't catch a break!
                    Is there a special significance to that number? I thought his Yankees salary was $16.5 million/year.

I thought Burnett wanted one last shot at another ring, so I'm not sure why he picked Philadelphia, which is clearly on a downslope (sorry, Phils fans).

-- William James

Comment

Is there a special significance to that number? I thought his Yankees salary was $16.5 million/year.

I thought Burnett wanted one last shot at another ring, so I'm not sure why he picked Philadelphia, which is clearly on a downslope (sorry, Phils fans).
                      It seems like the most important thing was being close to his family, which pretty much limited the market to PHI, PIT, WSH, BAL and maybe the Mets.

Comment

No offense taken. We all know our team is a ghost of just a few years ago.

I am shocked he picked the Phillies also. I would stay away from them as a FA until they revamp the team and get a new GM.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I just heard a Philly talk show guy named Angelo who is some type of legendary radio guy in Philly (i guess) and he was railing about how horrible the signing was because Burnett is a petulant cry baby and Philly sill eat him alive.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Given how much the defensive positioning and the ballpark in Pitt helped Burnett, moving to the exact opposite situation (Philly rarely shifts, bad park) is a big risk

Comment

Has there been anything yet about whether there's a no-trade? I'd think the Phillies were planning to flip him but given how much Burnett seemed to care about where he played, maybe he wouldn't want that.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X