Mike Trout contract extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Trout contract extension

Standard 12-team, AL-only, 5x5, 14/9 rosters, league inflation is usually around 20%

I have Mike Trout for $15 entering his option year and I'm obviously going to extend him. I'm thinking a two year extension which would bump his salary up to $25 through 2016.

Should I be considering a three year extension ($30 through 2017) for the league's best fantasy player?

Yes please
    "Knowledge is good." ---Emil Faber

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat." --- Judge Elihue Smails

"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private." --- Joyce Meyer

"..........don't think; it can only hurt the ballclub." --- Crash Davis

Comment

I think 3 years at 25 is plenty.

Comment

I agree with JC. A two-year extension at $25 sounds good. On the other hand, keep in mind that I'm phobic about extensions.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

I'd take him to 20.

Comment

What are the odds that Trout continues to be one of the top fantasy players for the next five years? If you think he will be i would go up to $35 through 2018.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I don't think you'd regret going 3 for $30, but if you are confident you have a contender now, it would be wiser to stick with 2 for 25. I think going down to one for 20 leaves way too much value on the table, even if you are focused on winning now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I don't think you'd regret going 3 for $30, but if you are confident you have a contender now, it would be wiser to stick with 2 for 25. I think going down to one for 20 leaves way too much value on the table, even if you are focused on winning now.
                What he said.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd go to 30 without blinking...he's the best player in the game at the age of 21...you think he's going to backslide up to the age of 25? I think your crazy if you DON'T extend him for 3 full seasons...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

25 and 30 are both fine but I would rather have him for 3 yrs at $25 and pocket the extra $5 a yr. Of course, I'd probably waste the $5 chasing saves anyway.

Comment

Trout might be the only player I would say should earn beyond $30 for the next four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        What are the odds that Trout continues to be one of the top fantasy players for the next five years? If you think he will be i would go up to $35 through 2018.
                        Yeah, i would also lock him up for 5 years (2014 + 4) at $35. Hard to believe that Trout is still only 23 years old. He looks likely to at least maintain his production over the next five years.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

What axeman, Hornsby, and madducks said...

Comment

I always try to look when my best chance to win is, and if at some point you have to trade him (you should get a boatload) in order to lock first, you don't want him haunting you for more than a year afterward.
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

He weighs like 240 right? What are the odds he's only stealing 10-15 bases in 2017? Then maybe he's .320-30-100-110r-12sb which is still great but not spectacularly profitable at 30 or 35.

Comment

Working...
                              X