Trade Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Advice

League set up: 14 team h2h points league with 30 man rosters, 15 keepers and a $400 cap, so extreme inflation. The format and point system favors pitching a little more than roto, as many bench spots are spent on pitching to get extra starts each week.

Trade offer:

I give Liriano $2
    Matt Moore $5 (extension due)
    CoCo Crisp $4
    Lucas Giolito
    Jorge Soler

for

Chris Davis $7 (extension due)
    Carlos Gomez $7 (extension due)

I have pitching depth and I need the bats, so my first inclination is that it is a fair offer, but, again, pitching goes for more than you'd expect in this league, and I worry about both Davis and Gomez being due for extension--they both had fantastic years, but are probably due for some regression right when I am upping their salary and locking them in. So, do I take the offer, and if so, how long do I extend the two bats, given our high cap and inflation?

I'd try and take out the Moore/Gomez side of it.

See if you can get Davis for Liriano, Crisp and the prospects.

In a points league, I'd hang on to the excess pitching.

Comment

You're getting two (presumably) quality bats in the deal, which IMO is a harder commodity to find than quality pitching. I take the offer. As for the extensions, keep in mind that I'm very extension-phobic, so I'd go just a year on each.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I like this deal really well for you.
        Yep. Fair trade. Gotta give to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          You're getting two (presumably) quality bats in the deal, which IMO is a harder commodity to find than quality pitching. I take the offer. As for the extensions, keep in mind that I'm very extension-phobic, so I'd go just a year on each.
          Hmm...it seems like the consensus is that it is a good deal that I should jump on.

Any other thoughts on the length of the extensions for Davis and Gomez?

One thing that gave me pause was that Crisp is $4 whereas I think Gomez is worth a 2 year extension, but that would put him at $17, and then I started thinking, is a $17 Gomez worth significantly more than a $4 Crisp? So, I was thinking of offering to cut Gomez from his side and Crisp and Soler from mine. I'm fairly confident he'd agree to that, as he is not a big Crisp fan. His real targets are the pitchers.

Comment

Good deal for you IMO.
            "Knowledge is good." ---Emil Faber

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat." --- Judge Elihue Smails

"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private." --- Joyce Meyer

"..........don't think; it can only hurt the ballclub." --- Crash Davis

Comment

I did the deal. I got him to take Jonathan Gray instead of Giolito. Not sure I did better by making that switch, but Col pitchers scare me. Still, gray seems great. Was that wise? Also, do I extend Davis and Gomez one year? Two? Three?

Comment

Wild inflation and a $400 cap? Shoot, I'd extend for three years at $22 each. $22 in your league is equivalent to about $14 in a $260 league. I'd be all over those two for three years at $14 in a 14 team mixed league.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Wild inflation and a $400 cap? Shoot, I'd extend for three years at $22 each. $22 in your league is equivalent to about $14 in a $260 league. I'd be all over those two for three years at $14 in a 14 team mixed league.
                  That was my initial inclination, but given their limited track records, I wanted to make sure others felt the same. If they produce anywhere close to what they did in 2013, $22 is a steal in my league. Hell, Miggy will likely top triple digits in this year's auction. I am a little less confident in Gomez, and was thinking 2 might be safer on him. But Davis would have to quickly fall into Adam Dunn territory for me to regret a 3 year extension on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    That was my initial inclination, but given their limited track records, I wanted to make sure others felt the same. If they produce anywhere close to what they did in 2013, $22 is a steal in my league. Hell, Miggy will likely top triple digits in this year's auction. I am a little less confident in Gomez, and was thinking 2 might be safer on him. But Davis would have to quickly fall into Adam Dunn territory for me to regret a 3 year extension on him.
                    Think of what you really want to do, then extend for one year less. It will cost less per year and reduce your risk.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Working...
                    X