Mariners sign Fernando Rodney to a 2-year deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariners sign Fernando Rodney to a 2-year deal

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

God dammit

I assume he becomes the closer even though Farquhar is a better pitcher.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      I assume he becomes the closer even though Farquhar is a better pitcher.
      But this isn't a bad spot at all for Rodney to land.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
        But this isn't a bad spot at all for Rodney to land.
        No, it's a bad spot for him to land for Farqhuar onwers...as Bucky said, he's not nearly as good as Farqhuar is, but he'll have a mile of rope anyway.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

As Anthony Hopkins says in Red 2 "I didn't see that coming".
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Lets hope this is just a backup plan in case the kid falters. He seemed to get better when handed the 9th inning. You have to think the Mariners are gonna give this kid a chance after showing so much K potential.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I'm not sure that Farquahr is the superior pitcher at all but I don't think I'd be too keen on signing Rodney to multi-year deals either.
              Yeah, lots of Farquhar love here despite him being passed around like a $2 hooker in 2012, as he was in four organizations -- traded twice, waived twice. Rodney had one of the greatest seasons ever by a closer just two years ago, but his history says that was a huge fluky season, so I agree that signing him to a two year deal was probably not wise.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yeah, lots of Farquhar love here despite him being passed around like a $2 hooker in 2012, as he was in four organizations -- traded twice, waived twice. Rodney had one of the greatest seasons ever by a closer just two years ago, but his history says that was a huge fluky season, so I agree that signing him to a two year deal was probably not wise.
                He added a cutter to his bag of tricks, which helped his other stuff play up. Funny that he and Delabar were traded for one another and the two have been awesome for their new organizations. I'm fine with signing Rodney as a depth move, but to automatically hand him the closer role is ludicrous. I couldn't wait for him to leave TB as he gave me ulcers last season watching him self inflict damage with that bullshit toe tapping stuff and getting loose in his mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  I would bet any amount of money that Rodney was signed to be the closer.
                  Yes, you're correct, Rodney will be the closer, after all, he's got "closer experience", doesn't he? I hate that, but it does make the 'pen better in Seattle, no matter who's the set-up guy and who the closer is...it's the new paradigm. Build a great bullpen (not that this qualifies as a great 'pen) and you let your starters go 6 innings full tilt boogie.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Yes, you're correct, Rodney will be the closer, after all, he's got "closer experience", doesn't he? I hate that, but it does make the 'pen better in Seattle, no matter who's the set-up guy and who the closer is...it's the new paradigm. Build a great bullpen (not that this qualifies as a great 'pen) and you let your starters go 6 innings full tilt boogie.
                    I love this "new paradigm". Instead of using two or three really good to excellent pitchers to pitch nine innings, we're going to use four or five, two or three of which may only be mediocre.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I love this "new paradigm". Instead of using two or three really good to excellent pitchers to pitch nine innings, we're going to use four or five, two or three of which may only be mediocre.
                      Whole lot easier to find a guy who's got one great pitch that can go full out for one inning...as Barbie used to say, "math is hard"! So is finding good starters than can go more than 6 innings...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I love little lord Farquhar as much as anyone, but it's hard for me to get upset about adding a pretty good arm to our pen. We don't exactly have a great bullpen in the first place, so making it stronger for not too much money doesn't seem all that nuts. And if Farquhar really ends up being a great reliever, this may end up saving the Mariners millions in arb costs down the line by not having him save so many games early on in his career. I'm fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          He added a cutter to his bag of tricks, which helped his other stuff play up.
                          Not to mention that his fastball was sitting 88-91 mph in 2012 and was at 94-95 mph last year.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            Not to mention that his fastball was sitting 88-91 mph in 2012 and was at 94-95 mph last year.
                            Yea, changed his delivery/angle a bit.

Comment

Rodney with his AL leading 30th save tonight....

Comment

Working...
                              X