Trade analysis welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade analysis welcomed

This is from a 17-team mixed 5X5 standard keeper league with a $300 cap. Keepers can be signed to two contracts before being thrown back. Keepers prices go up $5 per year.

Team A got:

$14 M. Trout signed through 2017(1st contract)
    $1 M. Adams signed through 2015(1st contract)

Team B got:

$18 Goldschmidt signed through 2016(last contract)
    $7 Puig signed through 2016(1st contract)
    $6 M. Wacha signed through 2015(1st contract)

All thoughts are appreciated.
    "Knowledge is good." ---Emil Faber

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat." --- Judge Elihue Smails

"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private." --- Joyce Meyer

"..........don't think; it can only hurt the ballclub." --- Crash Davis

my thought is that that is way too many good players at cheap contracts for me to assess it well. I think Team B did a little better, maybe, but it's not comically out of balance. I think Adams and Wacha are approximately even and Adams is cheaper, Trout is better than either Goldschmidt or Puig but clearly worse than both combined, but he's cheap and has the longest contract.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Wow!! I like A no B no A...yep fair trade.

Comment

Looks fair to me. Team A got the best player in Trout. Team B got more. Team B also took on twice as much salary, and Wacha is only a pitcher and, therefore, less viable longterm than the hitters. And the jury is out on Puig (and I guess Adams and Wacha, too.) Pretty fair deal, but I think I'd take Team A.
        Last edited by The Dane; 02-05-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

An additional thought... if you are giving up Mike Freaking Trout, what is the package going to look like? I think it would have to look something like what Team A gave up.

Comment

Excellent trade for both. I'll take B.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
              Agreed...I'll take A.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                What he said. Though I'll put my hand up and say there's no way I'd deal a $14 Trout through 2017, even for deal B, without a significant amount of alcohol flowing in my bloodstream. I just couldn't do it.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  What he said. Though I'll put my hand up and say there's no way I'd deal a $14 Trout through 2017, even for deal B, without a significant amount of alcohol flowing in my bloodstream. I just couldn't do it.
                  Especially since Trout can be renewed in 2017 and Goldschmidt can't.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I am not sure which side I would take, I have flip flopped a couple times on it, which goes to show how really well balanced this trade is for the most valuable roto guy in the game. Tyweb, Is there question in league if it is fair?

Comment

I'll take A, so I can have the Slippery Rock grad!
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

First off, this league has been running for 20+ years. So the future value comes into play a good bit here.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the trade itself, though a lot of people (myself included) see this as a big win for Team A. The reasons are as follows...

1) Mike Trout was not shopped to anyone in the league. I personally would have given up the farm ($1 Wil Myers, $1 Profar, $6 Bryce Harper, and $16 Jennings). Yes, I am an Angels fan. I would have over traded.

2) The future value for this trade is huge for Trout. If Trout were to hit the open market he would fetch close to $70. The top player last year in Cabrera went for $63 I believe.

3) The team giving up Trout gave up the surest thing in all of baseball. What they got back in return is Goldschmidt for two seasons, and two players with a lot of risk involved. Trout will anchor his team for another six years.

As an added bonus, when a player is kept, you MUST keep him active. So if Puig continues his free swinging ways and ends up on the bench or back in Triple-A for any reason team B is going down fast and hard. If Wacha struggles and gets sent down, or sent to the bullpen, he's locked in your line-up as a starting pitcher. Are these events unlikely? Maybe, but Puig swung and missed more than any player in the league not named Chris Carter from the All-Star break on. I expressed concern about this in our 20 team RotoJunkie league where someone took him in the top 12 picks overall!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          I'll take A, so I can have the Slippery Rock grad!
                          Forgetting my attachment to Matt Adams...my initial thought and my continuing thought is that I'd rather have the Team B side. I certainly wouldn't sway so far as to call this a big win for Team A.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

And the new Trout owner wouldn't go for that deal?

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              And the new Trout owner wouldn't go for that deal?

The person posted made that trade to acquire Trout.

Comment

Working...
                              X