2K14: Starlin Castro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K14: Starlin Castro

What a disappointing season for the then 23 year old shortstop in 2013.

I can't remember a player who after having three very good seasons at such a young age just falling off for no discernible reason.

Let's just look at his OPS+

2013: 72
    2012: 102
    2011: 111
    2010: 100

I also read this tidbit on ESPN Ranking Summit Chat:

"Only five right-handed hitters had more hard-hit balls in play to RF than Starlin Castro in 2013. His BABIP on those was 112 points beneath the league average."

So of his hard hit balls the other way he was extremely unlucky. Now I'm not a mathematician so I cant figure out what just league average on those balls would have done to his overall stats.

I can't find much of a reason to believe his 2013 was anything but an aberration but people seem to be low on him.

Also there is the issue of a hot shot SS prospect I believe his name is Baez coming fast through the organization.

So what are you Penners thoughts on Castro right now?
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

I'm not all-in on Castro, but if I can get him below-value, I'd grab him in a heartbeat.

I don't think I'm ready to call last season an aberration, but I'd be willing to give him another shot on my roster, and I won't over-extend to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      I'm not all-in on Castro, but if I can get him below-value, I'd grab him in a heartbeat.

I don't think I'm ready to call last season an aberration, but I'd be willing to give him another shot on my roster, and I won't over-extend to get him.
      I agree. One really bad year could be just an aberration. However, if he does it again, in my opinion he's just another fast-flame-out Cub.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Head problems. As a Cubs fan I am surprised he wasn't traded before last year. Not the kind of player Theo likes. Now I have to hope I am wrong and he gets his act together... and then trade him for Stanton.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post

That's the problem -- while he's not as highly valued as he was last year, he's certainly not being valued as per his performance last season either (MDC has him as the SS#9 right now). So I think at this point he's being wildly over-valued.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Head problems. As a Cubs fan I am surprised he wasn't traded before last year. Not the kind of player Theo likes. Now I have to hope I am wrong and he gets his act together... and then trade him for Stanton.
            You would need to add some of the good Cubs prospects to trade him for Stanton But you will probably have a chance come the end of this season or this mid-season.

Comment

Castro got his left cleat caught in the dirt while sliding into home plate in the 1st inning tonight. Legs are not meant to bend that way. He hobbled off on his own power, but given the discomfort on his face, he might miss some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros View Post
                Castro got his left cleat caught in the dirt while sliding into home plate in the 1st inning tonight. Legs are not meant to bend that way. He hobbled off on his own power, but given the discomfort on his face, he might miss some time.
                Looks like the Castro voodoo dolls paid off for a Baez or Alcantra owner.....
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Word during the broadcast is sprained ankle, MRI tomorrow.

Here is the video for those who want to see how weird this injury was.

Coverage includes audio and video clips, interviews, statistics, schedules and exclusive stories.

Comment

High ankle sprain, word is done for season.
                    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                    1B-Cron
                    2B- Villar
                    SS- Andrus
                    3B-Baez
                    MI-L. Gurriel
                    CI- Y.Gurriel
                    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                    UTIL- Benintendi
                    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson