2K14: Rick Porcello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K14: Rick Porcello

Porcello is another highly touted prospect who has had a middling major league career so far. After four years of mediocrity, Porcello seems to have turned a corner in 2013, raising his K% to 7.2/9 IP, which was about a 40% leap from his prior seasons. While his ERA remained in the 4.00s, his WHIP dropped from 1.53 to 1.28 last season -- nothing spectacular, but a solid advance nonetheless.

So, will his progress continue? What drove his K% to spike in 2013? Is he a viable fantasy starter at this point?

He's viable now, but he's not anyone around whom to build a fantasy staff. I'd probably like him as a #4/5 SP on my fantasy team, with the price key as usual.

However, that's better than the usual, "Ah sh**, I need another starter. WTH, I guess I'll bid a buck on Porcello".
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

It's crazy to think this guy has had "4 yrs of mediocrity" and been in the league for 5 years yet he is only 25. I think he is just finally learning how to pitch. Unlike most kids, he's had to learn at the major league level. I would think being around some nice K guys like Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez is rubbing off a little. He concentrated on his curveball and it looks like it paid off. I'd like him rounding out a staff if the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
        It's crazy to think this guy has had "4 yrs of mediocrity" and been in the league for 5 years yet he is only 25. I think he is just finally learning how to pitch. Unlike most kids, he's had to learn at the major league level. I would think being around some nice K guys like Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez is rubbing off a little. He concentrated on his curveball and it looks like it paid off. I'd like him rounding out a staff if the price is right.
        I think that he's also under less pressure now, given the emergence of Scherzer and the acquisition of Sanchez. He can be the best #4 starter possible and not be miscast as a #2.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          I think that he's also under less pressure now, given the emergence of Scherzer and the acquisition of Sanchez. He can be the best #4 starter possible and not be miscast as a #2.
          Good point. That's awfully young to handle that kind of pressure. Not too many kids can do that. Was he that highly regarded coming out though? I didn't think he had 1/2 status attached to him.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
            Good point. That's awfully young to handle that kind of pressure. Not too many kids can do that. Was he that highly regarded coming out though? I didn't think he had 1/2 status attached to him.
            Oh yeah - he was ranked the #1 high school pitcher in the country in the 2007 draft, but fell to late 1st round because Boras was his agent. He pitched locally here for Seton Hall Prep and is considered one of the best pitching prospects to come from this area in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              So, will his progress continue? What drove his K% to spike in 2013? Is he a viable fantasy starter at this point?
              I think he'll progress into a good AL only or deep mixed league SP. He had a ridiculously bad strand rate in the first half, when that normalized in the second half, he pitched to his better peripherals. Add Detroit's improved defense behind him, and I'd not be surprised to see him with an upper 3s ERA (say, 3.9ish) and 1.25 WHIP, with similar BB:K ratio and BB and K rates per nine.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Well, having Iglesias and Kinsler up the middle should help him a lot. And Miggy isn't at 3B any more, but then again I'm not sure Nick Castellanos is a lot better.

Comment

Is Kinsler a better defender than Infante was?

Comment

Working...
                  X