2K14: Jeremy Hellickson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K14: Jeremy Hellickson

Pre-2011, this guy was the #6 prospect in baseball and then won AL Rookie of the Year honors. Heading into 2014, he's become a huge disappointment largely forgotten by fantasy players.

In his minor league career, he had a K/9 rate of just under 10 per game, and in his major league career, he's at a mediocre 6.4. His WHIP has trended in the wrong direction every year, and after two seasons of an ERA in the 3.00 range, it bloated to 5.17 last season. His BABIP rose to .308 last season, which likely was one cause of his poor season, but what else is going on here? Will he even make it through the full season in the rotation?

His issues were all related to crappy mechanics related to the slide step since Jose Lobaton caught most of his games and was not a good thrower. Some stuff I've written on him:

Comment

Jason's partly right, but Hellickson didn't have an xERA better than 4 any of the last four years. The Rays have Odorizzi and Colome charging behind him. If the Rays weren't so paranoid about super 2 status, either of those guys would likely earn the #5 SP role right out of ST.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Jason's partly right, but Hellickson didn't have an xERA better than 4 any of the last four years. The Rays have Odorizzi and Colome charging behind him. If the Rays weren't so paranoid about super 2 status, either of those guys would likely earn the #5 SP role right out of ST.
        Hasn't the arbitration clock started for both those guys already though? Both are arbitration eligible in 2017 whether they start the year in the minors or make the team, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Hasn't the arbitration clock started for both those guys already though? Both are arbitration eligible in 2017 whether they start the year in the minors or make the team, I believe.
          I didn't know Odorizzi had that much time. You're definitely right about Colome.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I didn't know Odorizzi had that much time. You're definitely right about Colome.
            Odorizzi has 0.042 service time, Colome 0.102. BR-com says arbitration is in 2017 for both, so I think they'll be Super Twos if they start in April or June.

Comment

Elbow surgery, out until mid-to-late May according to MLB Network.

Comment

If we are to believe the timeline, this popped up over the last 2 weeks. Matt Moore had this same cleanup himself before 2011, so it's not a panic disco situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  If we are to believe the timeline, this popped up over the last 2 weeks. Matt Moore had this same cleanup himself before 2011, so it's not a panic disco situation.
                  My initial thought was that if it gives one of the "kids" a short-term chance and avoids Hellickson pitching like he did for much of last year, it's not necessarily a bad thing. IIRC Lobaton has been DFA'd, which may be good for him, too.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Lobaton is still on the roster, but will be traded soon enough

Comment

Working...
                    X