Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Burnett to return in 2014

Not necessarily for the Pirates.

The Pirates did say they "moved on" from him, and right now technically have 5 other starters (Cole, Liriano, Wandy, Morton, Volquez) but it would be a shame to see him go somewhere else.

There's no way that the Pirates think Volquez is blocking Burnett... is there?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

That's a lot of faith in Wandy as well.

Comment

Woohoo!

Comment

I thought it was humorous that AJ said he was returning this year...but hasn't been signed with a team. Perhaps he should have said "I'm ready to return for the 2014 season, and will entertain offers from all teams."
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I'd love to see a list of MLB teams whose rotation is too deep to handle a 107-107 ERA+ SP over the last two seasons, even at his age.

Granted, he's no Volquez, who hasn't hit that high-water mark since the 2008 All-Star break - a year before Burnett put up a 114 for a WS champ Yankees - but still.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The Pirates offered $8.5 million to Burnett after he made $16.5 million each of the last two years with the Pirates portion of his salary only being $6.5 million each year. Heres' what the rest of their rotation will make in 2014:

Francisco Liriano $8 mil
              Gerrit Cole $0.490 mil
              Wandy Rodriguez $7.5 mil (Pirates portion of $13 mil)
              Charlie Morton $4 mil
              Edinson Volquez $5 mil

Only Morton is signed beyond 2014 and his salary doubles next year. I believe Cole doesn't hit arbitration until 2017. I think it's a solid top four. If Volquez tanks, top prospect Jameson Taillon could be ready to take over his spot by mid-season. Jeff Locke or Brandon Cumpton will likely be called upon to replace any injured or ineffective starters early in the season. Liriano, Rodriguez, and Locke are the only left handers. So, i wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh makes a low ball long term offer to Liriano soon.
              Last edited by madducks; 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd love for the Phillies to take him for a year. Plus, he's the right age (37), so he'll fit right in.

Comment

The Orioles are another logical choice, if he wants to stay close to home. If he's willing to travel, the Mariners might make some sense, or the Angels.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    The Pirates offered $8.5 million to Burnett after he made $16.5 million each of the last two years with the Pirates portion of his salary only being $6.5 million each year. Heres' what the rest of their rotation will make in 2014:

Francisco Liriano $8 mil
                    Gerrit Cole $0.490 mil
                    Wandy Rodriguez $7.5 mil (Pirates portion of $13 mil)
                    Charlie Morton $4 mil
                    Edinson Volquez $5 mil

Only Morton is signed beyond 2014 and his salary doubles next year. I believe Cole doesn't hit arbitration until 2017. I think it's a solid top four. If Volquez tanks, top prospect Jameson Taillon could be ready to take over his spot by mid-season. Jeff Locke or Brandon Cumpton will likely be called upon to replace any injured or ineffective starters early in the season. Liriano, Rodriguez, and Locke are the only left handers. So, i wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh makes a low ball long term offer to Liriano soon.
                    It's a solid top two, but after that, they have health and talent questions. You can't count on Wandy or Morton for more than 150 innings a piece, and that's a problem. Burnett's smart to want to go out and get a top-dollar offer, and I would think Pittsburgh would want to at least try to make him that offer because they need his arm in their rotation.

Burnett should be on pretty much every team's radar at this point. He's a lot like Hiroki Kuroda -- a good pitcher who can (likely) be had on a one-year deal. I bet there are a lot of teams out there who would rather pony up $15+ million for one year of Burnett than $50+ million for Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez. I could see Burnett landing just about anywhere. Here's hoping it's with the M's

Comment

I thought he said he would ONLY pitch for the Pirates? Or am i mistaken?
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        That's what he said in October, but sources are now reporting he's going to be a full-fledged free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          And you believed him?

I guess he wasn't expecting the Pirates to be so firm on their original low offer of $8.5 mil. They may have been able to get him for $10-12 mil. He'll probably get $12-14 mil with another team. Hurdle choosing Cole to start game 5 of the NLDS didn't sit well with Burnett either.
                          Last edited by madducks; 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                            I'd love for the Phillies to take him for a year. Plus, he's the right age (37), so he'll fit right in.
                            Yep. If you're signing the likes of Marlon Byrd as stopgaps, why not Burnett too?
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                              That might drop the average age in Philly by a year or so.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X