Contract help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract help

NL only 12 team ULTRA 4 x 4 keeper league 15 hitters 10 pitchers $280. League has hx of significant draft inflation e.g last yr Braun went for 57. J Upton for 48, Holliday 40 C. Lee 40, BJ Upton 38, R Soriano 33 etc.

I can keep up to 12 players. Contract status is such that I can have each of the following players for 1 yr at their current salary, or for 2 yrs at salary $5 higher for each year. For example, I can have Medlen at $4 for 2014 or at $ 9 for 2014 and $9 for 2015. If I keep him at $4 he goes back in to the draft pool for 2015. I have listed a number of players I have options on and their current salary. Who should I keep at their current salary and whose contracts should I extend for another year, recognizing that if I extend a player, I have to keep him for both yrs. I can sign as many or as few as I want to contract extensions

Medlen 4
    Cashner 4
    Romo 8
    Rosario 10
    M Carpenter 5
    E Cabrera 3
    Desmond 19
    Arroyo 1 ( if he winds up in the NL)

I'd extend Desmond 1 year fwiw. Especially with the $280 cap (vs. standard $260). I don't mind Medlen at 9 but get what El Diablo is saying. Still at $9, not likely to burn you imo.

Comment

I still think Carpenter is worth extending, he's so cheap and he's an everyday player. If he hits .300 again (no guarantee but you never know) he is bringing back a really nice profit. I know he'll probably be 3B-only in 2015 but is 3B really that much better in the NL?

I would extend Everth too, he should earn that with just his legs. I would do one of the pitchers too, but I'm more inclined to go with Cashner just since his ceiling is so high.

Desmond is 28 and locked into the Nats for the next 2 years. He's gone 20-20 twice. I think I'd extend him too.

I just don't know if I'd bet on Romo being the closer next year. He probably will be but are you sure about it? If so I'd extend him instead of Cashner.

Comment

I am extending Evereth and Carp for sure.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I'm very averse to extending contracts, so between that and my lofty position in the standings of my leagues the last couple of years, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt--

I'd extend Medlen. That's the only sure one. Cabrera has the PED situation hanging over him, Romo's no lock to close beyond this year, Carpenter is a nice price but not at $5 higher, Rosario's the same, Cashner's a health risk IMO, and Arroyo will probably be available for a buck if you toss him back.

That leaves Desmond. I just don't know on him. Whichever way I'd go would be wrong.

And BTW, welcome to the asylum!
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

key in your league is that you hafta keep if they don't work out, so caution is warranted.

Medlen 4 - yes, injury problems, but I'd still extend to 9.
            Cashner 4 - no extension
            Romo 8 - no extension. don't trust closers, so I'd hate to be stuck with a $13 non-closer.
            Rosario 10 - coinflip; I think I'd extend; catchers are valuable
            M Carpenter 5 - definitely extend to 10, and maybe to 15. He's young and productive, and no guarantee he stays in the 1-spot, so his RBIs may improve.
            E Cabrera 3 - extend to 8
            Desmond 19 - extend to 24; he's worth at least $30 with inflation
            Arroyo 1 ( if he winds up in the NL) - don't extend

Comment

Working...
            X