Baseball Hall of Fame voting results out this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Hall of Fame voting results out this week

partial SPOILER alert - the BaseballThinkFactory tally of published ballots - about 25 pct of the total vote - may prevent you from being blindsided by Wednesday's announcement.

Bottom line at bottom line

Updated: Jan.7 - 9:20 ~ 147 Full Ballots ~ (25.8% of vote ~ based on last year)

100% - Maddux
    97.3 - Glavine
    92.5 - F. Thomas
    80.3 - Biggio
    ———————————
    71.4 - Piazza
    63.3 - Bagwell
    59.2 - Morris
    58.5 - Raines
    42.9 - Bonds
    42.2 - Clemens
    39.5 - Schilling
    30.6 - Mussina
    25.9 - E. Martinez
    23.8 - Trammell
    23.8 - L. Smith
    15.0 - Kent
    13.6 - McGriff
    10.2 - L. Walker
    10.2 - McGwire
    8.2 - S. Sosa
    6.1 - R. Palmeiro
    5.4 - Mattingly
    ———————————

MADDUX won't get 100 pct because the blank ballot crowd will do him in
    GLAVINE no doubt got a bump from being his teammate, though he was going in anyway
    THOMAS has the numbers and the anti-PED stance
    BIGGIO likely but not definite
    PIAZZA too close to call
    BAGWELL standing still
    MORRIS will do better with final result but seems unlikely to get 75 pct
    RAINES, pretty good given ballot
    BONDS and CLEMENS, locked in cycle like Greek mythology
    SCHILLING and MUSSINA compare well with Glavine; Mussina avoided 1st-yr blues
    EDGAR, TRAMMELL, LSMITH found deep ballot daunting
    KENT debuted into tough turf
    MCGRIFF and WALKER lost in shuffle
    MCGWIRE, SOSA two more fallen Greek gods
    PALMEIRO nipping at those juicy heels
    MATTINGLY needs 5 pct to get his 15th and last fling next year
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

I was listening to MLB Radio the other day and the show hosts had NYT baseball writer Murray Chass on. Chass told them his "sources" claimed Biggio & Bagwell both used PEDs regularly and so he wouldn't vote for them. I thought Biggio, at least, was surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      I am sick to death of these utter dipshits that get to vote for the HoF. Murray Chass is emblematic of the rampant stupidity of the writers involved.

The HoF is soon to be an utter joke, I it isn't already. Thanks, assholes.
      Already is.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

It already is - but nonetheless this Braves fan would love to go this year when Cox, Glavine and Maddux are all being inducted.

Comment

I wouldn't be too surprised if Glavine fell short. A few other 300 game winners didn't make it the first time and Glavine didn't have the high K's or consistently league leader ERA stats so I can see him being left off ballots with this field and the way voters change minds from year to year. I was preparing my "how the heck did Glavine not get 75%?" speech but it looks like he may have enough support to make it this year.

Comment

Anyone who does not vote Maddux in on first ballot should have their voting privileges revoked for life. They're simply too stupid to be entrusted with a vote.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

you asked for it!

KEN GURNICK, Dodgers beat reporter
              Morris

"Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Player Award votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them."

and here I thought Morris's Game 7 shutout was in 1991, during the Canseco-McGwire era. since this apparently was not during the period of PED use, am surprised he didn't vote for McGwire too!
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My thoughts on that - http://jasoncollette.com/2014/01/07/...eliest-number/

Comment

I'm surprised Glavine has such a high % of vote. I think he is a low end HoFer, and I didn't think he was a lock to get in on the first try. That Piazza is borderline continues to perplex me. Unless you are convinced he cheated and are leaving him out for that, there is no way he didn't deserve to be a first ballot lock based on his production at catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Nice write-up. mlb.com needs to scrutinize the people on their payroll (i.e. Ken Gurnick).

Comment

BA had a mock HOF vote today, and here are the results:

Player Votes Pct
                      Greg Maddux 23 100.0%
                      Frank Thomas 23 100.0%
                      Tom Glavine 23 100.0%
                      Mike Piazza 21 91.3%
                      Roger Clemens 19 82.6%
                      Barry Bonds 18 78.3%
                      Jeff Bagwell 18 78.3%
                      -------------------
                      Craig Biggio 15 65.2%
                      Curt Schilling 11 47.8%
                      Mike Mussina 11 47.8%
                      Tim Raines 10 43.5%
                      Edgar Martinez 6 26.1%
                      Larry Walker 5 21.7%
                      Alan Trammell 4 17.4%
                      Jeff Kent 3 13.0%
                      Mark McGwire 1 4.4%
                      Jack Morris 1 4.4%
                      Lee Smith 1 4.4%

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Jason's article brings up an intriguing point: when exactly did the 'steroids' era begin in baseball?

I saw a TV piece a while ago that indicated that the widespread use of steroids in sports began w the Olympics in 1956 (or was it 1960?). This is when the Russians began to become dominant in the 'strength' sports such as weightlifting, and steroid use supposedly is the reason why. It mentioned that linemen in the NFL began to get much bigger around the late 1960's. If steroid use became prevalent in football then, what about baseball? Could it have started that early? If so, why werent hitters hitting 60 and 70+ HRs back then? There's so much the average fan doesnt know about PED usage.

Comment

From B-Fly's buddy David Cohen over at TheGoodPhight

Greg Maddux for the Hall of Fame ... Unanimously

Let me just get this out of the way up front. I hate the Braves probably more than any other team in professional sports. If I were as big a football fan as I am a baseball fan, I might hate the Cowboys more, but I am a baseball fan at heart, so I the Braves have this title.

And I especially hate the 1990s Braves. Bobby Cox, the wife-beater. John Smoltz, the bigoted loud-mouthed homophobe. John Rocker, the deranged xenophobe. And the king of them all - Chipper Jones, with so many awesome things to choose from. And the list goes on and on. The Braves are the worst of the worst and the 1990s Braves were the worst of the worst of the worst.

But there was one thing that I didn't only not hate about the 1990s Braves but actually loved (in the baseball sense of the word) - Greg Maddux. And this week Greg Maddux should be the first member of the Hall of Fame to get in unanimously.

As much as I love baseball, I hate the superstitious tradition of the game and the forced genuflecting to history that many demand. So it should come as no surprise that I couldn't care less that Babe Ruth didn't get into the Hall of Fame unanimously, nor do I think because of that no one else should. There are lots of baseball players for whom there is no argument whatsoever against their being a member of the Hall of Fame.
                          More - http://www.thegoodphight.com/2014/1/...me-unanimously
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

as a friend of mine tweeted out earlier, the US Govt routinely gave soldiers amphetamines and steroids during WWII. We should put an asterisk on that victory

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              Jason's article brings up an intriguing point: when exactly did the 'steroids' era begin in baseball?

I saw a TV piece a while ago that indicated that the widespread use of steroids in sports began w the Olympics in 1956 (or was it 1960?). This is when the Russians began to become dominant in the 'strength' sports such as weightlifting, and steroid use supposedly is the reason why. It mentioned that linemen in the NFL began to get much bigger around the late 1960's. If steroid use became prevalent in football then, what about baseball? Could it have started that early? If so, why werent hitters hitting 60 and 70+ HRs back then? There's so much the average fan doesnt know about PED usage.
                              Steroids were initially thought to make athletes stronger and bulkier, but the thinking then in baseball was that players needed to be more limber and durable.

Tom House said he was using steroids as far back as the early 1970s, and claimed six or seven pitchers on every team were using "amphetamines, HGH or steroids" in order to add MPH to their fastball, but he stopped when he gained 30 lbs and didn't add anything to his fastball as he had hoped. I get the feeling that if there was steroid use in MLB in that era, it was far from an exact science and much more experimentational.

I think you can pinpoint the more widespread use of steroids among hitters to the 1994 season. Sure, there may have been a Canseco here and a Dykstra there, but I think '94 was the tipping point.

Comment

Working...
                              X