Remaining Free Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining Free Agents

I was looking at one site's list of the "Top 150 Free Agents" earlier today, with those who had signed listed. With non-tenders and a few others added, there were about 160 names on the list. Of those, 65 are currently unsigned, and the top 25 of those are listed below. The ones with an asterisk involve the loss of a draft pick for the signing team.

Masahiro Tanaka, P, Japan
    Matt Garza
    Ervin Santana*
    Ubaldo Jimenez*
    A J Burnett
    Nelson Cruz*
    Stephen Drew*
    Bronson Arroyo
    Kendry Morales*
    Grant Balfour
    Fernando Rodney
    Suk-Min Yoon, P, Korea
    Scott Baker
    Jesse Crain
    Jason Hammel
    Bruce Chen
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Jake Westbrook
    Chris Capuano
    Carlos Marmol
    Michael Young
    Joe Saunders
    Chad Gaudin
    Mark Reynolds
    Eric O'Flaherty

Again, this is just one site's top 25 remaining. YMMV as to whether they're among the best left, especially on guys like Young, Westbrook, or (shudder) Saunders.

Where do you think some of them will land?
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Jesse Crain was just signed by the Astros. Some risk there with his shoulder, but IMO, that's a really nice move.

My Brewers look to be waiting to bottom feed, though I've heard they have interest in O'Flaherty.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

If the shoulder is healthy, love the pickup. Crain is quite good at what he does. The revamped Astros pen is looking rather nice

Comment

From rotoworld--

"According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, there is speculation amongst general managers that Nelson Cruz could settle for a one-year contract in an attempt to rebuild his value.
        Cruz has reportedly been seeking a four-year, $75 million deal, but his market has been very slow to develop as teams are weary about his performance coming off his suspension for performance enhancing drugs. Taking a "pillow contract" to re-establish his value and then hit the free agent market again after the 2014 season would open up the list of teams interested in signing the 33-year-old outfielder, but would also be a sizable risk on his part as having an unproductive season would destroy his chances of a multi-year deal."

Does Cafardo really think the steroid issue is the biggest reason Cruz hasn't signed? Does he think the draft pick loss attached to signing Cruz has no bearing on this?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

This one has me both chuckling and shaking my head. From Rotoworld--

"Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Johnny Damon "has remained in shape" and "would love to resume his career after missing last season."
          Damon's agent, Scott Boras, told his client to let him know when he was officially retired, and he's yet to receive such a phone call. The 40-year-old batted only .222/.281/.329 across 64 games for the Indians in 2012 and would surely have to settle for a minor league deal if he does decide to continue his career."

Since the reporter wasn't Jon Heyman, we don't know for sure that Boras has spewed this nonsense. I swear that if anyone does sign Damon, I'm going to send that GM a four-slice toaster, with a note, "For you and Johnny Damon".

-- William James

Comment

There's speculation still that AJ Burnett could hang them up. From MLBTradeRumors.com

There's still no word from A.J. Burnett on whether he will pitch in 2014 or retire, but Pirates pitching coach Ray Searage is moving forward under the expectation that Burnett will call it a career, he said in an appearance on 93-7 The Fan Morning Show in Pittsburgh this morning: "I'm on the percentage point where he's not going to come back. I've got to prepare my guys with no A.J. I've got to prepare the pitching with no A.J. So that's the route I'm going. If he does come back -- hey, all right! But right now, I'm leaning that way, where he's going to retire."

This was 3 days ago, and I haven't heard any further developments (still early). At 37 years old how much does he really have left in the tank. I'm thinking he will call it a career, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it one more year.

Comment

Nick Cafardo spews crap each weekend & MLBTR runs it. At this point, I think it is just for kicks because most of his stuff is soooooo off the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltsanity View Post
                At 37 years old how much does he really have left in the tank.
                With 4 fWAR, 209 strikeouts, a better than 3:1 K/BB ratio, and a 2.80 FIP last year as a 36-year-old, seemingly a lot.

Comment

yeah... he could definitely decide that he's tired of baseball and he's earned enough money, but if he does, that would be one of the best final seasons ever, I suspect.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Excellent, someone just did this analysis for me! I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.

Burnett would be tied for the 7th best final season by a pitcher of all time, and of the guys ahead of him, all but Mussina retired involuntarily (Koufax due to arm problems, two guys due to death, one for unknown reasons, and one due to pitching for the Black Sox and getting banned).
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Here's where those top 25 stand now--

Masahiro Tanaka, P, Japan
                      Matt Garza--Milwaukee
                      Ervin Santana*
                      Ubaldo Jimenez*
                      A J Burnett--Philadelphia
                      Nelson Cruz*
                      Stephen Drew*
                      Bronson Arroyo--Arizona
                      Kendry Morales*
                      Grant Balfour--Tampa Bay
                      Fernando Rodney--Seattle
                      Suk-Min Yoon, P, Korea
                      Scott Baker--Seattle
                      Jesse Crain--Houston
                      Jason Hammel--Cubs
                      Bruce Chen--Kansas City
                      Francisco Rodriguez--Milwaukee
                      Jake Westbrook--Retired
                      Chris Capuano
                      Carlos Marmol--Miami
                      Michael Young--Retired
                      Joe Saunders
                      Chad Gaudin--Philadelphia, failed physical and released
                      Mark Reynolds--Milwaukee
                      Eric O'Flaherty--Oakland

That's 15 signed (one subsequently released), two retired, and eight still free agents, one of whom is rumored to be about to sign (Yoon, with Baltimore). Of the other seven free agents, five are tied to draft pick compensation.

This tells us that organizations are valuing their draft picks more highly than expected, and that the "marginal" draft pick compensation guys next off-season may be more willing to accept the teams' offers.

-- William James

Comment

With the Orioles signing Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales has one fewer suitor in a landscape where he already wasn't being courted heavily. The Pirates are a fairly smart organization at this point, and with Morales not having played a full year at first base since 2009, I'd have to think he's going to end up on an AL team at a significant discount. Heck, the M's have plenty of DH's right now, so why not add another, right Jack Zduriencik?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                          With the Orioles signing Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales has one fewer suitor in a landscape where he already wasn't being courted heavily. The Pirates are a fairly smart organization at this point, and with Morales not having played a full year at first base since 2009, I'd have to think he's going to end up on an AL team at a significant discount. Heck, the M's have plenty of DH's right now, so why not add another, right Jack Zduriencik?
                          Given the propensity of Hart and Morrison to get hurt, Jack should have Morales' phone number on speed dial for when, not if.

-- William James

Comment

Jimenez, Cruz, and Yoon signed with Baltimore, Capuano with Boston. The list is shrinking.

I'm finding the Boras-can't-find-a-job-for-Drew saga very exhilarating.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

I'm finding the Boras-can't-find-a-job-for-Drew saga very exhilarating.
                              Me too. He way overplayed his hand.

I think that next year, some of these fringy great players will accept the one year qualifying offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X